Masters Running

Headlamp Suggestions (Read 313 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm thinking about getting a headlamp so I can worry less about potholes as my morning runs return to darkness, but I worry that they are too cumbersome or annoying.  Anyone have any input or suggestions?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I have found that I need to wear a cap or hat.  Otherwise, I am left with an impression (slight indentation) on my forehead after a while.  Other than that, mine hasn't been annoying.

ETA:  Mine is a Princeton Tec that takes 3 AAAs.

lamerunner

Hi Holly

I rarely use for running (though I have), but I like small lightweight Petzl.  I keep one in my pakc always when I hike, in case of delay, injury etc.  It has saved me a few times

evanflein

Oh, I replied in the daily, but I use this http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/67 the Apex model. Princeton Tec has some wonderful headlamps and flashlights. I also have a Petzl which is lighter weight and easy to use, but doesn't light up my world like the big one!

(what have you used all these years of early morning runs?)

I have had good luck with my Petzl Tiki Plus.  It is very lightweight - not cumbersome or annoying at all. I would definitely suggest one of the LED lights w/ 3 AAAs or 2 AAs. I have tried and found annoying the ones with a larger battery pack in the back of the headband - the heavier battery pack tended to bounce around a lot.  Petzl and PrincetonTec both make good products.

Skip 

Holly - I use a Coast Led Lenser.  It's very, small.  I mostly use it so that oncoming traffic can see me, but it illuminates the ground good, too.  Plus, it has blue lighting on the back piece so that anybody coming from behind can see you, as well.  And the lamp part is adjustable.  It takes one AAA battery.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I have a light that is incorporated into a belt - the angle of the light can be adjusted for trail or road running.  It also has a flashing red light on the back of the belt for enhanced visibility.  It's made by GoMotion.  I picked mine up at a running expo, but I think RoadRunner Sports carries them.

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I have a Petzl, but it slides down my forehead. 

Recently I bought a LED thingie that clips onto a baseball cap bill.  It's SUPER bright!  I love it!  I got it at a Batteries Plus store (not sure if that's a national chain) for $8.95.  I used it for a recent relay in the middle of the night, and it was way brighter than other lights!  When I got too hot for the hat, I just ran with it in my hand.

Holly, A couple of years ago my wife got me a headlamp from LL Bean.  It says Princeton Tec on the back and looks like the Quad on the site that evan posted.  It has 3 intensity levels.  I've always used the lowest of the 3 and find it provides plenty of light for me to see potholes, icy spots, etc.  I've been real happy with it.

TomS

Maniac 505

Quite a while back  there was a thread on the marathon maniac BBS discussing the best light for trail running at night.  Head lights were not the favorite primarly because in misty or rainy conditionbs they were like high beams on a car  Hand helds were prefered and this was the winner

Fenix P3D Q5

The batteries are expensive if you buy them locally but you can get them on line for about a buck apiece.  I use rechargeables in my work light.  You can't really tell by the picture.  it is about 4 1/2 inchs long and about 3/4" diameter.

coastwalker

I have had good luck with my Petzl Tiki Plus.  It is very lightweight - not cumbersome or annoying at all. I would definitely suggest one of the LED lights w/ 3 AAAs or 2 AAs. I have tried and found annoying the ones with a larger battery pack in the back of the headband - the heavier battery pack tended to bounce around a lot.

Skip 

I also like my Ptezl Tiki Plus (with 3 AAA batteries). It is light weight, lights up the road well, and it doesn't use up the batteries (I bought rechargeables) too quickly. I've worn it with and without a baseball cap, and it fits and works well either way. I haven't had a problem with it sliding down my head, but I don't usually wear it till a little later in the season when it can be quite dark in the am, but is also a little cooler out.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Divechief - $62.00 for a flashlight?  Yowza!  Although you did give me the idea to try carrying one of the small led flashlights we have at home, which I used for my tempo run this week. 

But I still plan on getting a headlamp.  Thanks for the recommendations, folks!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."