Masters Running

The Miami ING Half Marathon, sun, fun, and the view from the back….. (Read 286 times)

spacityrunner

Official Stats: 2009 Miami ING half marathon 13.1 in 2:36:16 for an avg 11:56 m/m Mr. Garmin had a different story: 13.35 miles in 2:33:12 for an avg 11:29 m/m. Splits: 12:10, 11:15, 11:01, 11:45, 11:44, 11:35, 11:24, 11:03, 11:27, 11:27, 11:42, 11:25, 11:42 and that last .35 in 10:09. My splits tell the story…this was the best half I have ever run. I was not expecting this and I am happy. I finally feel as if I am back. FYI: My chip time was 2:51:41 in 06 and 2:48:56 in 07. I could not run it in 08. Nothing like a year and a half off to improve your times. Roll eyes 2 gu’s. 16 oz of water in my fuel belt (which was all gone at the end). 2 cups of water at every waterstop after passing the first one. One to take a few sips from and then the rest got poured over my head, down my arms and down my legs. Sunscreen at 7 a.m. and again at 8 a.m. Result, no sunburn. Yeah!!! One potty stop around 4.5 miles (3 min). Fashion Report: White enell sports bra, Brooks light blue singlet and short shorts, brooks infiniti’s, Mr. garmin resting on a white wicking wrist band and my black fuel belt. Nothing to tie around my waist. Big grin I headed to Miami with much concern as this would be my first half since my injuries took me down in June of 07. Would the wheels fall off? Would I end up injured again? Should I be doing this? Is it too soon? Worry worry worry, fret, fret, fret. But I knew that my training was right on, I followed instructions for recovery, and I felt ready to run. A couple of runs (Wed and Thurs) through the neighborhoods of Miami (a beautiful area called Pinecrest) resulted in feeling great. I got to meet and chat with Bart Yasso at the expo, I got to visit with my cousin who I don’t get to see very often, and I got to thaw out. Can’t ask for more than that…well, maybe I could. The weather was race perfect. I metro’d in to the start and found a porta potty at 5:15 a.m. without any problems. That would not be the same just before the start of the race. Lines everywhere you looked, I knew that I would have to stop on the course, drats! That stop would eventually restore me to sanity…let me explain. This was the biggest field of runners for Miami, and I and over 12,000 of my new best friends started the race right on time, 6:15 a.m.. I am a slow runner, and am used to being in the back of the pack, but I was not ready for what I would experience this year in Miami. In the first 2 miles of the race, we slower runners are all forced from 5 lanes to 4 (or is it 4 to 3) on the causeway while Miami proceeds to return to its motoring self. I don’t expect to be in the groove yet, and I know it is coming, so it is just more of the same, run, weave, dodge, swear, run, weave, dodge and swear (only now we get to suck exhaust). Dead This race had an unexpected experience. For the first 3 or 4 miles I encountered gangs, yes gangs, of gallo runners. Groups of folks numbering anywhere from 12 to 30 running along would all of a sudden stop running and start walking….right where they were. Shocked The first couple of times I would mutter WTF…and I would work to get around them, in front of them, any place but behind them. But it never seemed to work. I would think I am free and clear but here they would come, and just as they would pass me, they would start walking….drats. And then there was the lady with the balloon tied around her head (with a very long string). How cute, and she had all these folks following her. And then the balloon would unexpectedly bop me in the head. WTF…didn’t expect that, ha, ha. The first couple of times that happened it was funny. About the 100th time, I wanted to do unspeakable things to this balloon. Tight lipped OK, now we have not even gone 3 miles. This is not going to be a fun race if I don’t figure out something here. The first bank of porta pots I saw had long wait times, so I passed them on by. The next bank they were not as busy and I got in line. Now this stop only took me a total of 3 minutes but it was enough to get me away from the gallo gangs and balloon lady. The course never allowed me to get in the groove as it was crowded from start to finish, but the gallo gangs were not so thick when I re-entered the race and the balloon lady was nowhere in sight. Ahhhhh, my sanity was restored and I went on to have a great run!! Byll already did a fine job of telling you what a beautiful course this is. I love coming to Miami in the dead of DC winter. And this course is really spectacular. A chat with a couple of guys on the metro after the race confirmed that I was not alone in thinking that 1) garmin measured the course long (he had 13.36), there were more gallo runners and they did not move to the right which was frustrating, and that there was never a chance to get in the groove…too many people. It is still a great race and I will do it again. As for my running health, I was very tired all day Sunday, and a bit stiff doing steps, but nothing too bad. Monday morning gave me very achy quads. Tuesday I did an easy run before catching my flight home and just an hour after that run my quads were silent. I am ready to run again. Now, what to do next??? Big grin Big grin

Trails Rock!

Nice job Liz!! Glad you're doing so well!! That is so frustrating about the gallo walkers tho -- i've always read it's bad etiquette to run more than 2 next to each other and i would think people following such an organized plan would know better - glad you found a way to "get around" them. Congratulations!!

denise

Liz, I was happy to see your race report. I didn't think you were going to do one. Geez, I can't imagine dodging hordes of Gallo-walkers. And your comment about wanting to do bad things to that balloon made me laugh out loud. (That was a pacer I expect.) Sorry we could not meet up. I hope you ejoyed the race and your trip down here. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

gallo gangs....I think you've invented a new running term. Sorry you got smushed and bopped on the head, but running in Miami sure sounds nice! So what's next? Enjoyed the report.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Liz, it's great to hear that you are back running and feeling so good. This was a greta race for you, especially given all the crowds and dealing with the Gallowalkers and balloon lady (too funny!). I have to think you would have been even faster if not for all that. Congratulations on being fully back!! Meg

Once a runner . . .

Now, what to do next??? Big grin Big grin
              Relax and ENJOY!! Great RR! And congrats on the best half you have ever run!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              Tramps

Liz, you are a kind a patient woman. If it were me, not only would that balloon have been popped very early on, but I would have given a few good stiff tugs to the string, too. Wink And gangs of Gallow walkers sounds like a nightmare! So glad to hear you’re in good running health and that you had such a good time despite the crowds. BTW, if you posted this, I missed it…were you able to take in any inaugural festivities? (I did see your great run just before.)

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

I would have gone a step further than Tramps, and not only popped the balloon, but tied something heavy on the string! Like a handy rock or brick... Evil grin Congrats on the even pacing! In the two halfs I've run, my pacing was all over the place, although in my defense they had hills. Running a crowded race for the whole 13.1 (or 13.35) miles doesn't sound like fun - it's much nicer to have your own space to run in. You did greta!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good job, running. Congrats on your best half. TomS
                    huskydon

Liz, Congratulations on a great race! No doubt all of us would be frustrated with situation with the gallo walkers. Very fun report to read!

Renee the dog

Oh man -- you have grace under lousy conditions! So sorry you ended up in a pack like that! You really did well despite the hand you were dealt. Congratulations!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

Liz, I'm very happy for you. Congrats not only on your best half ever , (with patience trying challenges!) but also for your long determined successful recovery. I've watched your ups & downs... enough to make a lot of people give up, I think. But, like you said, you're back. Big grin
                            Brava Liz! This was a great report and your return to racing seemed perfect! You overcame obstacles with grace and ran a race worthy of celebration. I can't wait to see what you do next! Way to go. Karin
                            spacityrunner

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments. You guys are the greatest! Tramps: I did not get out during the inaguration...it was crazy here in DC and I stayed home! Bill: I too am sorry we didn't get to say howdy to each other...let me know if you ever get up DC way....

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

…this was the best half I have ever run. I was not expecting this and I am happy. I finally feel as if I am back.
                                This says it all right there - congratulations! And yes, the balloon lady and Gallo-gangs would have driven me nuts, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."