Masters Running

Tue Aug 26 Runs and Workouts (Read 380 times)

King of PhotoShop

5 easy get to know my running legs miles. When I run early I usually go with a small bowl of cereal and coffee before I go, but that is what I am used to. Spareribs I am a proud alum as well as a coach at Brockport. How do you know of our school?
    I went to SUNY Albany in the 60's. All the jocks went to Brockport. I worked a summer with a guy named Henry Laster from Highland Falls, NY who played some pretty decent high school football. Henry graduated from Brockport with a teacher's degree and went on to be a pretty good coach too. In college one or more guys would hitchhike Albany to Cortland, Cortland to Brockport, and so on, just so we could have some fun weekends together. Great times back then. Spareribs
      Deez, I usually eat a banana before a run, morning, or before a lunch run. Just a titch under 6.5 miles at 8:11 pace today. Red Sox make their last trip to Yankee Stadium today -- game in an hour & a half. gotta run... A.
      Masters 2000 miles
      TammyinGP

first run in 8 days - felt soooooo good! Only had time for a short TM run during lunch. 3 mi. 28:50.

Tammy

6 mile group run Monday evening was very nice Smile Nono congrats on that PR ,my DW golfed Sat. after funeral on Friday & won $40 for most birdies, $40 for closest to pin and $20 for something else (sorry I forget) Either you guys were more relaxed, focused or were getting some unfair help from above Wink A great local story. High school football player, a running back & another player were running through a wooded area as a short cut when they surprised a deer & her fawn. The senior boy was run over by the deer, he suffered a concussion & needed stitches in his lip. When he was on the ground the deer kicked at him but missed. The doe was probably just protecting the fawn. So be careful out there on those trails.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

5 GA miles today. Now that the Crim is over its time to concentrate on Detroit. I need to get back on my long run schedule this week. I have had some issues and with a weekend race my long runs have been messed up. This week its back to 10 Saturday and 20 Sunday for my first 30 mile weekend of 3 before my next marathon in October. If I can get this Achilles thing under control I should be fine. Erika, Did you mention yesterday that you use a Ibuprofen creme ? What is it called? I never heard of one. I am sitting here with my foot in a bucket of ice water though. On the question of eating in the morning, I only run mornings on the weekend and I always eat "Super Oatmeal" Old Fashioned Oats with raisins, walnuts cinnamon and Smart Start margarine. mmmm! Helps Get me through those long run Sundays I believe. Super runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Larry, you sound like you're using the same plan I use...I'm heading into my last 30 mile weekend this weekend, and hoping it'll be more like 32 or 33... The ibuprofen cream is something DH got from the physical therapist. I used it on the bottom of my foot once, and decided it didn't work. But I think it's because the toughened sole skin on the ball of my foot doesn't allow it to penetrate. So I've been rubbing it into the top, which is where any swelling shows anyway, and it works pretty well. I think it would be great for a sore AT... I'll have to look at it again because I don't recall the name. I'll let you know. Lunchtime run report... Wasn't planning on a tempo run, but that's what it turned into. 6.6 miles at 8:04 avg pace... Mile splits were 8:23, 8:17, 8:16, 7:58, 7:44, 7:28, 8:25 for the last .6 mile. (First 3.3 miles or so were slightly uphill, last 3 miles slightly downhill) Foot felt ok, which is better than it has been. I was lamenting all the Quaker rice cakes (yum, cararmel corn flavor!) I'd munched this morning, but maybe that's why I felt so sproinky? Hard to say what makes one run so much better than another. Sure was nice out there today...
                thanks for all the great replies .......... i'm thinking if i have 2 hours before my run then eating is ok since that's what i usually do race mornings, but if it's less than that i think i'll stick with the 1/2 banana theme and then again if i wake up in one of those ravenous moods then i'll just have to eat and find something else to do with my time for 2 hours before my run..........whatever will i do??? hmmmm

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

I got out for a sproinky 6.2 miles at about an 11:30 avg pace - mile 3 was in 9:25, which was the first sub-10 minute mile I've done recently in the mountains! I took the dogs for the first 1.4 miles. It was kind of warm (72) so I didn't take them further.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.