Masters Running

Thursday Weekly Weight Smile/Cry Session (Read 363 times)

Renee the dog

I'm up a lb., but that's just the beer ingestion diet I've been on. My own darn fault.   But, because of all the beer in my system, I don't really care.   Overall, still quite happy with the results.  Back to the grind tomorrow.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Prince of Fatness

I'm down a half .... 167.5.  I just don't know if I can get under 165 for my marathon that is 8 weeks away.  I have too much of an appetite.

These aren't helping.  Fresh from the garden.

Not at it at all. 

i'm staying the same too   134-135  not where i wanted to be at all for the summer -- i just don''t get it either -- no alcohol at all this week, tons of stress, little eating and i did get in a run sunday morning before life got crazy and a 4 mile run wed. night...........to me that should mean weight loss??

denise

It's true, if you try to kill yourself with more and more exercise, and you don't eat much more, and still

consume the same amount of wine you can lose weight.  The last couple of weeks I've added hill training, 

Zumba class 3 x a week, swimming 4 x a weeks and, voila!  I'm finally down to 132.  Not sure I can keep it up, 

but it's nice to be here for now .

Darth Tater....too cute. I'm off to the farmer's market this morning to find some of those.

Denise - hang in there!

Nono - you kill me 

Denise - It's self-preservation on the part of your body because of the stress and little eating.  Our bodies have a way of knowing what they need to stay strong and healthy.  Just take care of yourself and don't worry about the weight for now.  You're doing great, girlfriend.

Mmmmmm - potatoes!  Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nono - <snork>

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Wow MrPHinNJ aka Darth Tater... those look nice! It'll still be several weeks before we get spuds. The garden is doing great, but it's at that point where everything is working hard to produce what they do, then BOOM everything will be ready all at once. I foresee a few weeks of nothing but broccoli, squash, beans, cabbage and cauliflower real soon now...

DH and I cut back on wine and beer (for him) earlier this year. Just figured we were doing a bit much and he was frustrated with not losing weight. He was so good... no beer for a month and very moderate wine intake. Didn't lose a thing. Now he's back to beer, albeit much less, and has lost 8 lbs. So Nono... it could work out just fine! As someone told me once, beer is just bread in a bottle. So, enjoy the beer, skip the bread and you'll be fine. Making sandwiches could be a little tricky. Might need a straw.

Prince of Fatness

Wow MrPHinNJ aka Darth Tater... those look nice! It'll still be several weeks before we get spuds.

Thanks.  The Yukons are an early variety so they come up first.  Usually I have all of them dug up by early August.  In these parts we can put the seed potatoes in late March but it usually ends up being early April for me.  And I must suck at digging up potatoes because I usually have about 10 - 15 plants come up on their own.  We keep them in the basement and have had them into December in past years.  I end of giving a bunch to the neighbors, too.  All this on less than $10 worth of seed potatoes, you can't beat it.

Other than that I got nothing else.  I planted other stuff late so I am still waiting, although I should get some tomatoes real soon ... lots of green ones on the plants.

Here's a simple yet very good way to prepare potatoes.  Cut them up into decent sizes chunks.  Precook them for a couple of minutes with a little olive oil in the microwave.  Sprinkle a little sea salt, peppercorns, and minced onion on them and toss them on a veggie basket on the grill.  Yummy.

Not at it at all. 

evanflein

Cook's Illustrated had something similar... pre-cook them a bit, then skewer them and grill. Seems the key to good grilled potatoes is the pre-cooking. I'll need to try that this fall. I grow several varieties, but my favorites are the chieftain (red skin, white flesh), shepody (yellow skin, creamy flesh) or the All Blue (which are really purple). I didn't get any All Blue this year which really bums me out. Will need to start looking for seed earlier next year!

Prince of Fatness

I'm lucky, my local Agway has seed potatoes.  I did Yukon Gold, Red Pontiacs, Russet something (forget), and Superiors.  I have mail ordered before and tried the blues.  They're good.  irisheyes.com was the place I think.

Not at it at all. 

Tramps

RS--wow!  impressive; that's takes some dedication, I'm sure.

MrPH--those look yummy; I love taters.

So is there a method to the madness of this group?  Is there a declaration of goals?  A particular weigh-in day? etc.  Help a noobie out, please.

My background: A few years back, I tipped the scales at 180.  That was a shocker for me and was a key reason I stared running more consistently.  Over time, I worked my way down to 155.  I watch what I eat but I don't fixate on weight per se.  When I do weigh-in, I am usually around 155-157 but I've crept up as high as 163 recently.  I'm at 160 now but would like to get back down below 155 for Fall marathons.  150 would be ideal--but that's a stretch goal since I haven't been at that weight in decades.

Summary: Now = 160, Goal < 155,  Ideal = 150

I'm focusing on three things:

1) cutting back/out alcohol--empty calories, I figure.

2) smaller portions since I have a tendency to eat whatever's on my plate--and if my DW's serving, she has a tendency to put too much on it. 

3) better management of late afternoon munchies.  I work at home so it's too easy to stroll into the kitchen and eat more than I should.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps,

a.  there IS no method to our madness 

b.  this is a drinking group, so embrace those empty calories but focusing on smaller food portions will work

c.  we just check in weekly and laugh at what Nono says and sometimes we lose weight and

sometimes we gain.  Mostly we lose and gain the same 3 or 4 lbs.

d. It's a good motivational tool for me and the bonus is you can get  cool recipes from Darth Tater!

Helen

Marathon Maniac #957

You guys are too funny!

Okay Tramps, you're  right.  I guess I need to set a goal or two (not that I ever manage to reach them).

Thursday's weigh in (I haven't weighed since then):  114 lbs

Next Thursday's goal: 113 lbs.

There, I've set a goal. 

Okay, and no roasted peanuts at the baseball game I'm going to tonight.  I simply have no control. 

And  2-beer minimum tonight, and that's INSTEAD of ice cream, not both.

There, that wasn't so hard....

And the favorite way to fix potatoes at my house, cut them into fries, toss with 1-2 T. olive oil and some salt/pepper, bake on a cookie sheet at 400 until crispy.  I like to add sweet potatoes, too.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Tramps,

a.  there IS no method to our madness 

b.  this is a drinking group, so embrace those empty calories but focusing on smaller food portions will work

c.  we just check in weekly and laugh at what Nono says and sometimes we lose weight and

sometimes we gain.  Mostly we lose and gain the same 3 or 4 lbs.

d. It's a good motivational tool for me and the bonus is you can get  cool recipes from Darth Tater!

Helen

Okay, now that's funny.

And Holly's suggesting a two-beer minimum.  

Geez, I thought this thread was about losing weight!  

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

And Holly's suggesting a two-beer minimum.  

Geez, I thought this thread was about losing weight!  

Oops......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."