Masters Running

Wednesday’s Daily 11/17/2021 (Read 38 times)

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I got my 3rd booster for Covid19 yesterday morning so I didn't run. People have been saying the 3rd shot have had worse reactions but so far only a sore arm. Probably due to rough administration of the shot. (I swear she hit the bone and wiggled needle. Haha)

Today I finished painting family room while waiting on heater guy to arrive for its annual check. He arrived late (surprise) and by time he finished I was also finished with room.  So decided to go for a run.

I ended up running 4+ miles using the new pedestrian bridge over the Delaware river connecting the PA and NJ towpaths. Since it only opened yesterday, decided I would christen the new bridge by running sans shirt. Why wait until summer. Haha It was a little breezy but a comfortable 63F.

Happy Hump Day

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Surprisingly mild afternoon, although gray and misting much of the time. DW and I walked 3.1 miles at an 18-minute pace. Better than sitting around, anyway.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

BTY,  your GN's old school sounds kind of odd!  Hope he makes the BB team.

Shadowrunner, it's hard to believe you're still running shirtless at this time of year!

I procrastinated going out for a run, because it's 20 degrees and we got an inch of new snow last night.  But I got off my butt and put on all the layers, and went out for 6 miles around the snowy dirt roads, and it was kind of fun!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

People have been saying the 3rd shot have had worse reactions but so far only a sore arm. 

I had almost no reaction to the 3rd shot, less than either the first or second.  Just a slightly sore arm.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

BTY,  your GN's old school sounds kind of odd!  Hope he makes the BB team.

I m reminded not to believe everything the lad repeats and hope that not everything he says about me is believed.   He likes to tell tales with a straight face.

He did not make the team.    Mostly he seems to think that it’s unfair that no one ever taught him what he needed to be able to do.   Boy if that isn’t the understatement.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I thought I posted earlier but I guess not.

i didn’t really have much to say anyway… I worked 11 hours, today, and wasn’t able to run… that kind of irritates me.  I’ll get over it.

Okay—that’s all I got.  See ya!

Just read through today's daily. I go to admit I am kind of lost as to what people are up to. It will take a few days. I am just been swamped with work. Plus, until this week I was on the DL waiting for my calf to heal up. It is finally good enough that I ran 4 miles this week and hope to give it a go tomorrow as well. I get a reprieve from classes for 10 days. Then three more weeks of them.  See how exciting my life is! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

twocat - maybe make running a prerequisite to your classes so you can teach on the run or, better yet, limit class size to 100 or less.

BTY - sorry GN didn't make the BB team.

Me too, . . . and the BB coach picked \

all his players for the track team too

so I didn't make it either.

However, he sounds like he might have some pent up fight in him.  Maybe take him ice skating a couple of times and he might start to notice and get interested in the ice hockey skaters practicing and skating laps around everyone else like they were driving Minis or Civics and they are in Daytona  Beach race cars.

. . . the Michigan Fight song substituting the word Covid wherever we could.

dnaff - neat. It works great for the UW's "Bow Down to Washington" too.  Maybe too great as they are having a contest for a new fight song.

What I found interesting about the bike, which I paid $20 for somewhere around 5 years ago, is that it is at least 20 years old.  I had no idea, I thought maybe 10, or a little oder maybe.  The other shop wan't really familiar with the brand but Mad Dog said the company (Mongoose) went out of business in the early 2,000's and this one looked like it was just a little older than that - late 1990's probably, early 2,000's maybe.

BTY - me too.  Both my straight handlebar town commute bike and triathlon Canondale Road bike were dumpster rescues in the mid-nineties and, when I was worried that strange, grinding, scraping noises from Canondale's front wheel at speed on the descents of the bike legs probably should be looked at before the daunting 112 bike leg in the 2003 IMCdA, the IM bike repair that moves along from event-to-event with them said the bike was more than 20 years old and they don't make the kind of parts I needed anymore so, since I only rode it once a year in my annual triathlons, I just lived with the noise for another 12 years when it was getting so noisy so as to generate comments of concern from other riders in the bike legs that I took it into a Seattle shop where they refused to do any repairs because of possible liability if something went wrong so, from 2016-2019, since I was getting into the middle/upper seventies AG's anyway, I just rode Mr. straight handle town bike that, because all my contemporaries had left the sport because they were afraid of embarrassingly slow times that wouldn't bother me since I was slow anyway and could then usually win my AG, even once with the sturdy plastic milk box carrier on the rear luggage rack that I didn't have time to take off.  One one of the jillions of riders who passed me on the bike leg asked if I was going grocery shopping afterwards. ,

rain pants and raincoat. . .

. . .

Can't remember the last run in sunshine!S.

Murray - having lived up there in the same kind of 72"/yr-land too, you are amazing, especially, didn't you know it's November?  You once said there's not many other runners up there and I can't imagine you'll see another one of them until April or so.  Can you do any ice-skating at the hockey rink or is there any skiing nearby though probably not a great idea to start either when you're not that young anymore.  Anyway, count me in awe.

20 walking paces then ran 40 all the way up.

. . .

Will definitely use that strategy in the future.

Murray - yep, the tortuously long, winding, if not straight up, ascents they think are neat to put in ultra trail races became very doable when I swallowed my pride in those days (when/if I had any) and started walking the climbs so, for sure, definitely use that 20/40 strategy as far into the future as you can as, one of these days, it'll become 60/0.

DW and I walked 3.1 miles at an 18-minute pace. Better than sitting around, anyway.

roch - give yourself another couple of years and that kind of day'll become fantastic, . . . even the 18m/m part too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I hope erika survived the weekend deluge down in Portland and can enjoy today too.

Hello and yes I survived, but got very wet! On Wednesday, I got a nice run that was dry but cloudy, although warmer than it looked so I overheated in a long sleeved shirt. On Thursday and Friday mornings, however, I got very (very) wet and it took my shoes a couple days at home in our dry climate to completely dry out. The show ("Mean Girls") was great and our hotel was very close. I'd like to stay there again for other shows.

I've been busy so have skimmed the dailies but not commented. Too much really to catch up on, but wanted to give a happy anniversary shout out to BTY on 30 years. And the "gang symbols" are the boys doine a "3" and a "0" for 30 years!

Steve, I sure hope Dunkin is ok. That's really not like him.

Bioguy! doing the JFK50 you need to pay attention to the 19 mile aid station! Our friends WillRunForBeer and PreDawnRunner are hosting that aid station, and PDR has made beautiful cookies and min-poptarts for the runners. Be sure to say hi!

Ok, that's about all I'm going to comment on. I've been running, but it's getting colder here and we're getting a half inch to an inch of snow every night so it's annoying to run in. Today was 7.2 miles before running home to do a quick change and go watch Riley for a couple hours. Just on my way out the door, grabbing a Kashi bar for a snack, I bit down on something hard and damn it if I didn't lose a crown on a molar! Crap! So... gotta get that fixed soon.

SteveP

Holly - The little fur balls get into our hearts, Here's a little something for Dexter.

Dave59 - I your coffee cup rocks. I used to watch Sir Graves Ghastly with my dad. I watch Svengoolie now. Usually they have the black and white classics I watched with Dad.

Rochrunner - You made a good call on rescheduling surgery. I don't like it though.

Dave, I'm disappointed in you. Just $44.99 and one of these 3000 9" Reese's Thanksgiving pies could have been yours:

45.00 for a single serving?

With the skies at 4:30 am dark and as starry as the city lights allow, a walk down the ‘hood to the lakeside to see the 97% waxing moonset at 5:28am seemed in order but I couldn’t find the moon in the sky where it used to be the last time I saw it in September,

No photo description available.

11/17/21 (5:10am)

I've got your waxing moon for you:

Leslie - I hope you shake is off quickly. What happened with Ebenezer Scrooge when he thought he ate some bad cheese comes to mind.

BTY! Sending rabid pictures to Leslie!!!!

The Mongoose bikes are still around. They've likely been sold a time or two.

Too bad your GN didn't make the team. The kid could use a break though landing in  your house is like a lotto payout.

Shadow - Nice 4+

Two Cat!!!!!

Erika - Good to see ya. 7.2 snowy ones is something.

I got 4.1 before work. Dunkin came out to join me about 5:30 AM.

I spent most of the work morning gathering up materials for the first buy back I've arranged in my new position. I had to address about 20% before Dec 10th. With a ridiculous request and little extra effort on my part I'll be loading 40% of a 48ft semi.

I still don't know what my title is so I'll still sign my emails as "Lowly (Possibly Rabid) Warehouse Rat."

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

even once with the sturdy plastic milk box carrier on the rear luggage rack that I didn't have time to take off.  One one of the jillions of riders who passed me on the bike leg asked if I was going grocery shopping afterwards. ,

Okay, this made me laugh out loud...

SteveP - Dexter says thank you.  I put him on may lap and we watched the squirrel together, although he seemed a little baffled by its antics....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Shadowrunner, it's hard to believe you're still running shirtless at this time of year!

Haha.. I run shirtless all year. Winter months and temps make it a bit challenging and rare.   Last few years I have run shirtless at least once every month. Cold temps build character and improve immunity even though these are typically only last mile or cool down runs.  My running friends and buddy usually urge me on in lower temps. It has become a running joke. 

Though I am not as bad as "Naked Running Man" who is a fellow local shirtless runner. He runs shirtless practically every day in racing shorts. He is also a bit of a celebrity on FB.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum