Masters Running

Marathon Pace With Age (Read 44 times)

DBS

Hello. New member here, 53 y,o. male.

Thinking about running a marathon next year, and while I know everyone is different, I'm wondering how some people have noticed a change in marathon pace as they age.

My last marathon was when I was 41, I'm 53 now. I ran that one in exactly four hours and the one the year before at 4:10..  My running since then has gone though many phases, from irregular running to consistent.  For the last year, I've been running more regularly, and generally do a couple shorter runs during the week and about 6 miles on the weekend.  One of my midweek runs is an interval session. I hesitate to use the term "speedwork" because it's probably the easy run pace for many of you.

I've found that I'm falling into the old 10:00/mile pace for my easy runs - same as last time I trained for a marathon 12 years ago. Not on purpose, it's just the number I hit, often exactly.

One major change in my training will have to be that I've found I'm much better off if I never run two days in a row. I've always had minor problems in one of my knees, and recent experience has taught me I can keep it in check with all the usual precautions (ice, stretching, strength training, foam roller) and by not running two days in a row.

Ideally, I'd go on an 8-day training cycle, rather the the usual 7-day weekly cycle, with runs every other day and one long run in that cycle. But my work schedule won't allow that, so I think I'll have to do it on a 3-day per week plan.  I've found several training plans that offer this option.

Other notes: I'm in good health, at a good weight, my diet has improved since last time, and I drink much less.

So, how has your marathon pace changed over the years? 

evanflein

Hi DBS! I see you posted earlier this morning (Thursday) and haven't gotten any responses yet, so I'll bite...

I ran my first marathon in 2005 and it was a very challenging course (Equinox) in 4:26. I'd only been running about 4-5 years (can't remember exactly), and felt great afterwards. I wanted to qualify for Boston, so set my sights on Napa in 2006 but got injured at the end of training (shin splints) and finished in 4:3x something. Focused on 2007 and qualified for Boston at an easier marathon in Anchorage in August (at 47) with a 3:52. Fast forward to June 2011 (at 51) and I set my marathon PR at 3:30:49 (Newport, OR, pretty flat course except for start and finish). Future marathons were in the 3:45 to 4:25 range, usually depending on the terrain more than my age. Most recently, I've run two 3:56 marathons a week apart (at age 57 and 58), impacted due to weather (humidity in the first one, strong winds with gusts in the second). So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, your training will take you far regardless of age, and the weather or terrain can set you back, regardless of training and age. Hope that helps. I've run 46 marathons/ultras since 2005, and started running after age 40 so would think I have some credibility in commenting. Good luck! I always say it's not the time it takes but the time you have during your marathons. Have fun, or why do it!?

Tramps

I guess what I'm trying to say is, your training will take you far regardless of age, and the weather or terrain can set you back, regardless of training and age. 

This.  Erika's smart, experienced, and a great runner; listen to her. 

Age is only one factor.  If you'd been maxing out your training all along, then age would be a more important variable in the equation.  However, given that you're running modest miles, that is likely to be a much bigger factor than a decade of aging.

Be safe. Be kind.

DBS

Thanks for the advice!  I guess I'll just see where increased mileage takes me and how I feel. I'm excited about it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

BDS - you have every right
            to worry about age and time.
            It can’t be helped.
            Everyone’s different but, on pretty much the same training regime over the last 40 years, i.e. little, if any, and never more than 26.2 miles for any one marathon (usually 13.1 miles and, more recently, none), for me, I’ve slowed from being able to slip under four hours now-and-then from age 34 - 58 to not even being able to run four hour marathons by age 64 (2007).  However, with a 6:00:07 in 2016, I still like to think I can still run 26.2 miles under six hours, . . . but I doubt it.

My Marathon Milestones with Age
            age 34 (1977 - 3:52:07): Mayor’s - first three hour+ marathon  
            age 58 (2001 - 3:59:13): San Diego Marathon - last three hour+ marathon
            age 59 (2003 - 5:14:07): St. Patrick’s - first five hour+ marathon (special circumstances)*
            age 61 (2004 - 5:04:22): Portland - first regular five hour+ marathon
            age 61 (2004 - 6:15:24): IMCdA - first six hour+ marathon (special circumstances)**
            age 64 (2007 - 4:49:21): Seattle - last four hour+ marathon            
            age 66 (2009 - 6:06:06): Imperial Palace (Tokyo) - first regular six hour+ marathon
            age 68 (2011 - 5:28:18): Seattle - last five hour+ marathon
            age 73 (2016 - 6:00:07) - Portland - almost last five hour marathon
            *- no aid stations so ran hydrateless, nutritionlest until wilting at mile 18.
            **- somewhat impinged by following 2.4 mile swim/112-mile bike.

It would be interesting to see speedy Ben Beach’s times
            for his last 50 years of Boston Marathoning
            albeit on from skimpy (one one training run
            of 20 miles in 1968) to extensive training most of the time.
            age 18 (1968) - 3:23:50
            age 31 (1981) - 2:27:26
            age 52 (2002) - 3:07:50
            age 62 (2012) - 5:51:22
            age 66 (2016) - 5:31:21
            age 67 (2017) - 5:01:26

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Centex runner

Running shorter races i.e. 5k 10k should give you an indication of what your limitations, abilities are and give you a starting point to build a training plan. For me, adding training miles helped alot to be able to run a better paced (evenly) marathon. I ran 50 marathons over a 13 year span (age 50 to 63) and my training paces have not slowed significantly but injuries and hypothyroidism have made me adjust.

Grzldvt

My marathon pace has not changed over the last 20years.  I am 69 years old and still run the same pace I did when I was 49 years old.  I use the Garmin Connect Heart Rate schedule, which is pretty intemse, and add more miles to the long run.  I do Big Sur every year which is, at best a tough marathon.  I am not crazy about the shorter, but more intense longer runs on Sunday.  I do longer runs in the hills to better simulate the Big Sur course.  However since I have been on this particular training plan, which has a fair amount of speed work, I have maintained the same finish time for the last 20 years.   Does it get a bit harder, you bet, but not that much.

32 Big Surs working on number 33

Come to the Dark Side (trail running) . . . walking is allowed and we get to eat real food during races. 

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance