Masters Running

Thursday August 21 back to school runs (Read 450 times)

I Can Go The Distance

8 miles easy for me today in 1:18:28 a 9:49 pace. This week I seem to feel alot fresher after my runs so I guess I am getting use to the Ribs training plan and also running 54 miles a week. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Marathon Maniac #957

I know DS1 doesn't want to try out for next year; I think he's pretty much done with comp soccer. .... It's hard to see good teams fizzle out but it's such a commitment, and these kids get busy as they get older, and their interests sometimes move on to other things. DS1 wants to work and have more unstructured time next summer. This year his days and evenings were full 6 days a week and he didn't care for that.
      I totally understand. Select sports can be a huge commitment, not just for the child but for the whole family. So many parents have their kids extremely overbooked with activities and 1-2 sports every season, with no time for just kicking around. Keeping your kids busy is a good thing, but so is having time for bike rides, hikes, miniature golf, family movies, reading books, going fishing, having conversations, etc. Maybe you would all enjoy a break. BTW, no, I have still not been challenged for an ID at the gym. Smile Dark Horse – maybe you could take an interest in Bucking Bronco’s online games. BCMorant – I notice that when I run more miles, the runs don’t necessarily get much easier, but the recovery later gets noticeably gentler. I’m so out of shape now that 11 miles on Sunday had me exhausted all day, and 6 miles makes me want a nap. Like right now. Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Got my run in, about 10 miles at lunch. Very nice day, dry and clear but at 80 and very sunny, I felt the heat. The peanut butter sandwich at 11:30 was not a great idea either. I did not time it precisely but it was approx 8:15 pace I think. Tiny abs workout and stretching after. I like morning running better but I got it done.
          holly - hope your kids had a good first day of school...........my 18 yr old moves in to his college dorm 8/30 and my youngest son starts h.s. 9/3 tim -- cool story runing with that little girl -- i am so impressed with you -- working 13 hours then getting out and doing that kind of work-out -- way to gooooo!! hi karin - it is a beautiful day in Mass. today isn't it!! thanks for the positive comments on my 9miler -- i have to admit i was pretty sore and tight last night even tho i stretched good -- should really remember to ice the back after those long runs!! makes me realize i don't want to push up the distance too fast...........feel great today tho!! no run but hit the gym for 30 minutes on the arc trainor, then lots of ab work and a few machines -- stretched good now thinking a little nap would feel good before heading in to my regular 12 hour night shift actually for 3 nights in a row!!

denise

TammyinGP

Dark Horse – maybe you could take an interest in Bucking Bronco’s online games.
            or what about interactive games for the two of you to play? I'm a bit adverse to encouraging continuing online video games for kids - tends to lead to more and more reclusiveness - but perhaps he'd be interested in the two of you having weekly game nights or something along that line. it's nice to see you posting again Dark Horse. I'm a bit late in welcoming you back. I haven't been around much lately either - life, home, work, etc. has been keeping me pretty busy. My husband had surgery two days ago, so I've been attending to him 24/7 for the last couple days, but am now back at work and trying to get back into a better routine of running. The last couple months have been sporadic at best (as you can see in my log). oh, FYI DH - There is a thread at KR that you might be interested in reading but has probably slipped a page or two by now - it's the Ragnar Northwest Passage relay thread. Lots of pics . . . . and I know how you like pictures. Wink

Tammy

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tammy, I hope your DH recovers quickly! I haven't posted much, either. Running two days in a row a couple of times last week seemed to make my ankle worse, so I scaled back this week. But last night I went out for a run and it felt wonderful - I went 8.2 miles in 1:31:05 (11:07 pace). My longest run since May. Just like after my 10K, my ankle seems to get BETTER after I run a longer distance! I guess I should keep running every other day for at least a little while, though. It's so hard to hold myself back! The 1000-mile bunny is slowly gaining on me. I want to beat that little sucker this year. Beautiful weather in Maine, but I've been stuck in a software training class the last three days. I'm glad it's over. Have a great evening! Teresa
              evanflein

I agree with Tammy on the online gaming thing. My oldest loves World of Warcraft, and it really does suck them in at the expense of interacting with "real" people. Holly, I just shake my head at that gym situation. Truly amazing. I'd lost my scanner ID card and had to replace it when I went on Monday, and they charged me $5 for the honor. But you can't get through the door without scanning your card... it's like a fortress compared to the gym you're using! I wonder how they track their members and usage? Just amazing... Got out for 5.5 miles at lunchtime (Lamerunner, how do you run 10 miles at lunch?? must have a flexible schedule?), and my legs were tired from last night's climb up the hill. I didn't think there was much residual effect this morning, but by half a mile today I could sure feel it. Still, a good run overall and sure is a nice day out there... I can't pass up that sunshine knowing how dark and cold it'll be in a couple months! Met my sister-in-law and niece on the trail... niece on her little pink bike all decked out in lavender and pink. Such a girlie girl. My boys wore dinosaurs and aliens on their shirts at that age...
                SteveP

Good Morning! Today I decided to do hill repeats. My house is near the top of what I consider a pretty tough 1/3-mile section of hill, so I don’t have to go far. After a 1.4 mile warm-up, I spent 2.75 miles going up and down that hill, sometimes all the way down to the bottom, sometimes just halfway down, but about equal uphill and downhill time. Then 1.85 miles more on the treadmill for 6 miles total. Stretching and icing now. Happy Thursday!
                  Forget the advice from other runner......I wonder what the neighbors think???? It's good to see you running Nono Tim, I bet there are runs like yours in heaven dude. Thanks for sharing. We're pulling for you Dave. How's the grandchild and Mom???
                  Met my sister-in-law and niece on the trail... niece on her little pink bike all decked out in lavender and pink. Such a girlie girl. My boys wore dinosaurs and aliens on their shirts at that age...
                  When I was that age, I was into Batman and such things. Maybe she'll grow out of it. BTW Holly, If you visit Mary's part of the state, I'll bet you won't see as many Batman shirts as you guys would up here. Sorry Mary 2.5 miles today. It's the same route as with my sidekick...I mean grandson. However, with him, my time was much better. I did see baby turkey's and tried to coax them to me..I guess that takes time. They came kind of close, then freaked out. Must have been the baster I pulled out of my utility belt. While driving, I saw a very large cow out side it's fence. A truck was chasing it back. The beast stopped and turned to the truck. It was a good sized truck and the cow (bull?) was nearly the same size. I really wanted to watch, but I was on the clock. Beef never looked so tough. If it was in a ribbed Batamn tank top, it would have been really kewl.

SteveP

munchkn883

Nice 5 miles walk at the Art Museum. Hope you all are doing well.
                    dg.

Hi everybody. I still have computer problems, so haven't even read the daily for a couple of days, except for the first few posts today. Just wanted to say I hope you are all well, & that I can read all about it soon. Roll eyes also thought I would say to Holly. .. I agree with Perch & Tramps!!! I had a deep friction hamstring massage yesterday a.m.. The masseuse is also a personal trainer, & met me at the gym this mornin at 5:15 (which was really very nice of him) to show me some strengthening exercises. So, I had about 40 min. or so on the machines... not something I'd intended to do but I'll see how it goes. then 3.78 miles. I thought it was 4, mis-calculated, but that was probably enough anway. good night all.
                        I have finally managed to dig myself out of my work backlog and now have time to post a reply to all the activity today! Well at least now I do after hanging up on one of those bloody polling services! If only the "do not call list" could be set up to block them too! Sigh. My DW surprised me when I got home by announcing she did 7 miles today all on her own! That is really something for her since in the past she has resisted doing more than 3 mid-week. I may yet get her to run a HM this fall! Holly S. I hope you managed to get some good pictures! Also, you might want to read my note to you in the 40/40 thread. Blush hopeful4ever I just noticed your avatar and what is says right below! ROFLMAO! Great line. Nice run. Can Brinkely do the marathon with you? perchcreek 13 miles but no hills? Getting lazy there! Wink Good strong run. nonoruns I hope you get to do the race. I suspect it will be good for you soul after all you have gone through. I remember my first marathon, which was long after my dad passed away, and in the final miles thinking he would be such an exuberant fan if he were around, and then hoping maybe he was. Good luck in the race if you do it. WillRunForBeer 12+ miles today will sure help you stay ahead of that rabbit! biketm hmm, never heard of anybody being harassed by little girls before . . . Big grin Great 12+ mile speed workout to boot. Dark Horse TM yech, phooey . . . I am always impressed when I see people manage more than 3 miles on them. Nice 6 miler on it. How you stay entertained? breger1 good run despite the H&H. So you expect what in Florida? Wink Dave59 hmm, how about instead of lipo you try a new avatar? Just a thought. Smile Also good luck with your race this Saturday. SueT48 I think it must be going around the NE because my assistant was out sick today and has been ill the last several. I am really glad she stayed home and away from the office! Hmm 7 miles while suffering from bronchitis? Not sure if I should say "well done" or "what are you crazy!" I hope your lungs clear out soon. DickyG I hope work clears up soon so you can get back to doing what you like. Sarge Nice race last night. Any idea why they schedule the race mid-week? Odd day for one. Ah, the trials and tribulations of watching sports while running on a TM! lol Tramps nice cancelled 7 miler! Clowning around Good luck in the 10 mile race this weekend. What is it with 10 mile races this weekend? Is it like some official distance for the day? My race is 9.37 miles did my RD miss the announcement? Confused rochrunner nice trail run and pulling out your fastest pace for the year. mainerunnah I would add bad run to that expression. Hey they is a running forum! CNYrunner I think I would need a PC to track that run! A strip of tape would never do. How do you ever remember where in the list you are? Shocked I would constantly forget and end up back a step or three. Spareribs not sure what to hope for here other than whatever is knocking you for a loop gets cleared up fast. wildchild dare I ask what you think a "hill" is? I suspect the rest of us would call it a small mountain! tselbs your scheduling gets my vote. I too like to take off the day prior to a race. Good luck in yours this Saturday. evanflein I too hated starting school each year so your kids have my condolences! Where is that race report . . . tap . . . tap . . . tap . . . Smile Nice 5+ today after yesterday's "hill." Just what are you calling a hill? enkephalin sorry but I think you misunderstand that IRC does not stand for Ideal Rain Conditions. Wink Dark Horse best of luck with Bucking Bronco. I have no idea how you will get him out of his shell. Very tough issue. Very tough. Ileneforward Race tonight? Same question for you as for Sarge why did they schedule it for mid-week? BCMorant nice overall increase in your miles. Nice 8 today too. lamerunner nice 10. deez4boyz glad you feel good today after your 9 yesterday. I always find hospital schedules to be totally baffling. Who came up with the idea for 12 hour shifts 3 nights in a row? Dracula? TammyinGP hope your DH is ok. Teresadfp odd injury that gets better with running. But then never look a gift healing or whatever in the mouth! Good luck beating the pink hopper to the finish! SteveP if you want turkeys to love you have sunflower seeds for them! I am not sure why but they must taste like ice cream to a turkey! Ours local crop of "wild" turkeys just love them. munchkn883 and you know we all hope fervently you do well. Nice 5. dg. if it felt like enough it probably was. Is the hamstring ok? I hope the massage was just to keep it that way.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

4 mile easy run 55 degrees. Great weather!
                          SteveP

I guess high fuel costs are hitting every one

SteveP