Masters Running

hyannis 1/2 marathon (Read 282 times)

I had soooooo much fun!! Went to the Cape with my oldest son (21) and my friend yesterday afternoon - dropped the son off at the in-laws so he could spend "quality time with the grandparents" and my friend and i headed over to the race expo -- my only disappointment was they ran out of Cape Cod potato chips - how is that possible on Cape Cod? we met a couple people we know from work there, chatted for awhile then checked into our hotel. Instead of doing the expo dinner we went to Alberto's on Main St Hyannis -- can i say YUMMY!! what a nice little Italian restaurant!! Then back to the hotel to turn in early! Today started off with a free breakfast at the hotel - perfect runner's food - bagels, peanutbutter and bananas!! The lines for the bathroom at the conference center were crazy but we did not want to stand out in the cold waiting for a port-a-potty so we stood in line and talked and talked. My friend is a night nurse with me and we met up with one of our female docs while we were in line. The race was great!! 30degrees at the start and sunny!! love the sun!! It is so cool to run thru Hyannis and down along Craigville Beach - I used to live in Barnstable so it's fun to revisit the sites!! The first few miles were pretty fast so i knew i'd need to slow it down and i did by mile 4........my right leg felt a little tight despite my great massage the other day so i know that needs more icing/stretching/massage - could feel the IT band getting tight and a tiny ache in my lower leg that was injured last year so need to watch that!! Miles 9 and 10 were tough for me but just kept telling myself i was strong and could do this and i felt better again for the finish!! wooooooohooooooo love that finish!! Time 2:02:08 ag pace 9:19 - a PR for me by 13 seconds, but even better i was 6:20 faster than disney!! My garmin has me at 13.3 miles with an avg pace of 9:10 - don't get that. fashion report - blue headband, MVS singlet over my running jacket and base layer, black pants and gloves - gloves came off by mile 4 but since they were my good gloves and not throw aways i held on to them the whole time oh - and the post race party at Henry's bar and grille on main street was soooooo fun!! great band, free beer and great food!! and.........BOB - i said hi to some of the runners with Children's Hospital singlets for you and one guy said he knew a Bob from CT!!

denise

btb1490

What an awesome way to cap off the great past few days you've had! The fun you had really came through in your report, I was smiling the entire time while reading it! So now you know the secret of setting a PR in your races... go on vacation and have a lot of fun before it! Wink Congratulations, I'm glad you did well and had a great time! And thanks for saying HI to my teammates there. There's someone in CT named Bob too? Small world! Wink (I'm in NY)
        What an awesome way to cap off the great past few days you've had! The fun you had really came through in your report, I was smiling the entire time while reading it! So now you know the secret of setting a PR in your races... go on vacation and have a lot of fun before it! Wink Congratulations, I'm glad you did well and had a great time! And thanks for saying HI to my teammates there. There's someone in CT named Bob too? Small world! Wink (I'm in NY)
        Blush ooops - i thought you said you were in CT - sorry - oh well - they were a nice group to say hi to anyway!! and i really did have tons of fun - i'm still smiling too!! thank you!!

denise

Manchild

Denise, I so loved your report of your HM in Hyannis. I'm on MV and have never run in Hyannis although I know the town well. Congrats on your PR! Are you doing New Bdford in March? Chris
            Congrats on the great race and fun time Denise. You chose a fabulous day for a race too. I ran the half twice before there and chose the sleeting, nasty years.....I am glad it was a keeper day for you. I know what you mean about the chips too. I snared a bowl and had some of the chowder and then the chips disappeared! You clearly had a blast and I see your smile from here! CNYrunner
              Denise, what a fun report to read. The high of your weekend just shines through. I think making it a weekend with your girlfriend and going into it relaxed paid off -- if you took 6 minutes off from Disney (last month?) you're running strong and improving quickly. I hope you take advantage and do some more races this spring if you're able to. That is quite a post race party! You know how to do it right on the Cape. But what's this about Chris and CNY skipping out? Next year, be sure to get CNY and Chris over there with you so we can have a forum get together report, too.
              Henrun

A great run and a great report Denise. You really lucked out on the weather. When I ran it, it was like swimming through massive puddles.
                SteveP

At first I thought it was the "Hyaenas 1/2 Marathon" and I was looking forward to some carnage with my coffee. You know, pour bacon grease on the runners, add mean dogs and begin the race with "Who Let the Dogs Out". After 46 years of delusional living has helped me develope a coping skill or two.sigh Back to your RR. The race sounds absolutly sweet!!!!!!!!! Runs that take us along beaches is kewl!!!! These's a lot of serenity to be had as well as fellowship. Well done on the PR.

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi Denise, What a terrific race, and a joyful report! Congratulations on a strong finish and your PR, as well as having such a good time pre and post-race. Add me to the list of those who have done Hyannis when the weather was far less pleasant. But it is a beautiful course under almost any conditions. It must have been great fun to run through some familiar territory. How are your IT band and lower leg doing today? Congrats!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

thanks everyone!! my legs actually feel really good today - a little tired but not sore thankfully!! didn't get to the gym as planned - went to a funeral that ended up being an almost whole day affair but it's ok - very close family friend, spent time with the family, my family, and other close friends so it was worth every minute.......tonight will do some stretching and use the foam roller and then tomorrow out for a run!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Great fun! Congratulations on your PR!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Congratulations on taking off so much time from your Disney race! The Hyannis race is one I want to do some day. Any New England area that hosts a distance race series in the winter along the coast and expects people to actually show up must have something going for it! It sounds like fun and the food at the Cape (in the summer at least when I have been there) is always very good.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

deez4......way to go! Great time and congrats on the PR! I love your enthusiasm and glad you had a great time.
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            pfriese

Congrats on your PR and having such a fun race. Thanks for sharing your race with us. Paul
                                I'm late to the party but CONGRATS ON YOUR PR! Thanks for the great description of food (my favorite part of anyone's RR). You sound like you had a wonderful time.