Masters Running

Tue Sep 15 Runs and Workouts (Read 423 times)

Henrun

Did 10 miles along Boston's Harbor Trail today and passed by the U.S.S. Constitution in Charlestown-a very scenic run.

Aamos-we saw Jane Monheit this summer at a free concert at city hall. She's a wonderful jazz singer and connects well with the audience.

Swing is very much alive in Boston. We often go to big band concerts and jitterbug. And I do know who Brian Seltzer is.

BTW I play alto sax and Marj (occaisonally) plays clarinet.

Sarge, it's good news to get a reprieve from your colonoscopy.

Nice long runs for Walt, teresa, and henrun.  Good job on the speedwork for holly and CNY.

This morning it was about 60° with a light wind.  I got in 5 miles in about 47 minutes for a 9:23 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

dg.

Lou... nutty?   care to illustrate?

thanks Mary!  :-)

& Holly.   & Aaaamos... thanks for the advice.     Amy we love having you here.  How's Frank?

Teresa how did it turn out?

Slo_hand, that' great about both of your DD's.

oh, better go.  it's still nice outside & even though there is plenty of summer left I hate to waste a minute of it...

though Nono... glad you had such a darn fine little 2 miler right in range..   I was aiming for base pace too, not sure if I hit it.

forgot to post my run this morning.  6.24 miles, I think it was  9:58 pace.  no serious body part complaints.   I was slower than my polar said...(9:47)   the mileage was looking a little suspect, so I hit the lap button at the 1/4 mile poles.  it's really close, but is just under maybe .01  mile generous.  it does add up.  need to re-calibrate for the shoes I wore.

oh yeah, Tammy, I do recognize Stray Cats.  

Teresadfp

One day at a time

dg, there are 3 kids who want to play piano, so the band director is going to let them take turns for now.  I'm not sure how that will work out, so we'll see!  You all have reminded me that I need to find some more jazz for her to listen to!

I loved the Stray Cats!  I should download some of their music.  I'll have to get down to Boston to hear some swing.  DH's sister lives there - I bet she'd go with me.

wildchild

Carolyn

Well, I know I said I was gonna take a rest day, but I lied. DD called to ask if she could stay at school late to hang lighting for the school play, and said, "why don't you go running or something?"    Well, how could I pass on an offer like that?  Since DD is going to high school down in town now, and we carpool together, I had an extra hour to myself.  It was a beautiful evening, 77° and overcast, so I went for an easy jog on the creek path, 3.3 miles at 10:40 pace.  Then I sat in the grass and stretched, and did 20 pushups and 55 situps. That shouldn't make me too tired to race tomorrow!

G'night, all!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

<sigh>  You guys are warming my heart with all of this talk about kids doing music today.  Smile  I had my 6th grade general music kids scat singing today - it was a hoot AND they loved it!  SLO, I disagree about trumpet being easier than piano.  I had my undergrad trumpet class (obligatory for music ed majors) before my voice lesson and since I couldn't get my lips to work right, ended up crying at every voice lesson that semester because my awful attempts at trumpet hurt my throat so much!  And flute class almost made me faint . . . and I dropped a bassoon foot joint on my toe, which made me almost faint in pain in front of the kids, during the first week of student teaching . . . .

Oh, running.  None so far this week.  Was at the ER with my mom until 2 a.m. Monday morning and then got up to help her and go to school at around 5, so I'm still sleep deprived.  She fell down 3 steps and cracked 3 ribs and is totally fed up with being compared to Eagles' q-back Donovan McNabb who broke ribs on the same day.  She's hurting a lot, but her spirit and determination not to let this keep her down is incredible.  And unlike McNabb, she will not be starting for the Eagles this Sunday.  Wink

I did do some strength training and stretching this evening.  Will RAW (I feel like such a member of the inner circle when I use that abbreviation!) tomorrow and Thursday and then chill Friday and Saturday before the HM on Sunday.  Weather forecast is for IRC - or should I say Ideal Strolling Conditions?!?  Wink

Good runs, rest, and recovery all,

Eliz  Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

{{{Healing Vibes for Eliz's Incredible Mom}}}

It's late, late here - 9:20 - way past my bedtime, but this is the first opportunity I've had all day to check in.

Everyone's so busy - and I love that so many of your kiddos are interested in music (as I sit here listening to the "Easy Listening" station on our cable music).  I think I'd go nuts if I didn't have my radio at work.  We got a new station about a year or so ago and it plays what most people would consider "elevator music."  I love it.  Helps to keep me calm instead of freaking out on a client and calling him or her a dumba$$, which, at the moment, is my most favorite descriptive word for someone who totally irrirates me.  Well, I have other good descriptive words, too, but I can't use them here.

Colonoscopy?  Haven't had the pleasure, but I did get to experience an upper GI whatever-it's-called.  I'd have to agree that the drugs are quite wonderful.  One minute I was talking to the nurses, the next minute I was trying to figure out how to get my hand to maneuver the spoon into that little opening on a Dannon Yogurt cup and then to my mouth.  Took A LOT of concentration.

Gave up on trying to download my run this a.m. to the site.  Will try, try again tomorrow.  In any event, did 5 miles w/6 30-sec hill sprints.  The predawn sky was absolutely bee-you-tee-mus.  Completely clear, tons of stars, and just a sliver of a moon.  Stellar.  I didn't feel the coolness too much until I got to where I do my hill sprints.  Interesting how in just a matter of a few hundred feet the temp can change.  My hands were fairly cold by the time I got done, and when that happens, my left thumb never wants to work.  Makes things interesting when you're left-handed.

Anyhoo, this and next are taper weeks, which means I get to sleep in a bit tomorrow as I will only have an easy 3-miler.  Yea!

Most, if not all, of you are probably already in bed, so I bid you good night.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Eliz, it is like some inner circle group isn't it? RAW, RAL, BAW, all that stuff. heh. We're such a 'raw' group around here. Best wishes for your mom and recovering from her tumble. Tell her to stop dancing on the stairs while doing her hair, or whatever she was doing.

Leslie, you crack me up. Definitely one RA'er I want to meet in person. Hope your taper goes better than mine. I'm not very good at it. What's your race coming up?

Tet... would'ya knock it off already? I'm doin' the stinkin' race! Promise I'll be smart about it and I'll bring you some birch leaves and cranberries next month, ok?

So I made it out for a run tonight. Plan was 4-5 miles easy. Started at my folks' house, ran out to the church by the dog mushers' field and back. Mostly uphill trend on the way out, downhill on the way back (well, duh...). 5.25 miles, 8:14 avg pace with miles 3, 4 and 5 at 8:07, 7:50 and 8:02.