Masters Running

Tuesday 7.17.17 Prime Day! (in real time 7.11.17) (Read 35 times)

evanflein

Then I signed us up for our big Alaska trip next July.. Recent events have inspired us to do everything we can while we're still able!

Absolutely! Is this with a group? Where will you be going? I hope you can find your way up past Denali into the Interior!

RunnerKSA, our house is up at just past 800 feet and we're in a hilly area. Even my "easy" runs down the road (to the main road at about 450') aren't "easy" on the way back up the hill! Well, I guess I could walk, but then why bother, right?

Glad I took yesterday off. I really had no interest in running. Zero. Zilch. Nada. And it must've worked because I'm looking forward to a mid-day run here soon. So much of running is mental. After all day rain and foggy overcast, today started a little drippy but it's clearing up out there and temps almost at 60° so I think I'll head out for a late lunch run. I'm freezing in my office the last couple of days. Glad I keep a wool cardigan hanging on my door!

Did I tell you guys our annual half marathon was canceled? Apparently couldn't find anyone to fully take it on. Several "I'll help out" volunteers but no one to be in charge. So they canceled it. I don't think that's ever happened before. And it sucks because in this running series of 8 races (well, 7 now), I rely on my standings in the longer, harder events because all the really fast young women stick to the shorter events (mile, 5k, 8k, 10k). I can place higher in the harder events and gain in total overall points. Looks like I won't make it this year. Oh well. (Top 5 get a jacket.)

wildchild

Carolyn

4 miles. Nothing feels easy, but I got it done!  My route from the house is all up and down- not big hills, but almost nothing flat.  Sometimes I just want FLAT!!!!  I have to drive for that.  I do live in a beautiful area/neighborhood with good running, so I'm not complaining.  It just never feels easy.

Heh - nothing flat here either!   But flat is boring, so I'm good with hills.   I did an 8 mile trail run up to some  high altitude lakes today - well, more of a hike up, and I ran down the parts that were runnable.  Some of it  is too rocky to run down very well. But it was gorgeous and cool up there, and there's still some patches of snow around the lakes.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Can someone explain to my what the big deal is about prime day? So far as I can tell, the "deals" are just as good as you get looking around the web for places putting things on sale.

No running for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. Later on there was some fisticuffs with Excel. I accidentally erased the x-axis labels. If there is a way to restore them I could not find it.  Instead I had to recreate the graph from scratch. Yes, I searched the internet for help. Found a few posts. None, helped. You would think Microsoft would make erasing or restoring something like a major graph element pretty easy. Apparently not. In more interesting news, I found a really good yogurt marinated recipe at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/yogurt-marinated-grilled-chicken-56389989. Really easy to make. Very tasty. Highly recommended. Oh yes, I made it with skinless and boneless chicken thighs rather than a brined chicken like it says to use in the directions. I suspect my choice was better. More surface area for the marinade to work on and it cooks faster. Just make sure you grill it on a reasonably low heat to avoid scorching the yogurt.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

marj/henry - I'm restin' up for GS visit staring next week.

Maybe I should try to get him hooked on one of those

electronic gadgets some kids sit in front of all day.  NOT!

20 miles on your first day, Tramps?  And you're not complaining about your sore butt?  And you didn't get locked into you clipless pedals and fall over?  Wow...very impressive.

I am way, way impressed too.

No saddle sores, no road rash.

Are you sure?

Not that I would recommend doing anything

without appropriate training but, since you

are in such good shape anyway from running.

maybe see it you could do 100 this weekend.

I'm betting yes.

However, be gentle on your knee with just easy pressure letting the momentum of the pedal rotation carry the tender knee around each cycle. And don't put any pressure on it at all going up hills.  Just push down (and pull up) extra hard with the good leg, . . . but not too much or you'll have to be hopping your future runs on the strong leg.  anyway, wow, wow, wow. tribe better keep you out of the pool or you know what will be next.  good luck.

ps - since I ride barefoot too, I can't comment on clip-ons, . . . except that the one time I tried my friend's, I did the same thing, . . . in very similar slow motion.

Roch - make sure you can escape the tour group in case you get near erkia-land or down in Frank-Meier country (where I can make some suggestions). You'll see lots of humpback whales bubble feeding anytime but best for bears in SE Alaska is August.   Denali has 'em (and lots more) all the time.  It'll be interesting to see what RCG/RS think about their schedule at the end of the month.  Maybe a photo too at the short run out to Mary's Falls towards the glacier from the visitor's center, though. I hope so.

Hope leslie survived volunteering at the WS-100 river crossing.

Maybe temps weren't that extreme, after all, though.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Good morning.

The house I grew up in was right next to a junkyard surrounded by a metal corrugated fence.  When I got my first bike as a little kid, my father taught me how to ride out in the street.  He sat me on the bike, with my mother and siblings watching, and gave me a push to get me started.  I hadn’t quite mastered the balance thing yet so I’m told I leaned a bit toward one side and made a long, graceful arc that ended with a loud head-first crash into that corrugated fence.  There were no helmets in those days and I had a good bruise on my forehead. After a break for ice cream, I got back on and was fine.  (To this day, my brother loves to tell this story.  )

I was reminded of that incident from some 50 years ago as I went out for my first ride on my new bike. I was a little wobbly in places but otherwise fine; no crashes.  I was checking the fit, trying the gears and brakes, and generally getting a feel for it. I did laps on a mostly flat road with only modest traffic, so it was a good practice spot.  20 miles total. Main lesson learned: Easy cycling is much, much easier than easy running. There's no coasting in running.

Sports doc later today. That should be interesting.

We are going to need a picture of the bike. What did you name her? Enkie named hers Gege, or something like that. My bikes always are named Carmen.

Rochrunner, nice plan for next year. You are so right about enjoying life and building memories while you can.

Marj, I enjoyed reading your triathalon adventure with your GD2 today.

catwhoorg, how do you get home if you can't bike?

Twocat can attest that I too have hilly running routes.

Today was 9 miles on the 7.23 route. I have decided that I am going to run this route once a week to keep track of my speed progression. I wish I had races to run to do that, but in hillbilly country there are no races unless I organize them, and when I organize a race, I can't run in it. Today was a fun day at the office. We had the visit of our state Senator to learn about our work at the Housing Authority. Four hours later and many tours of the complexes we manage she left. I am slowly trying to convert her into an affordable housing champion Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps - if tribe gets you aero-bars be sure to look up once-in-a-while.
              Once I didn't and did the corrugated fence trick into a chain link.

ps - how's enke doing in our three weeks of sun and moon and no rain?

nancy - are you getting on Carmen this year?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

It's been way too long since I've been on my bike.

6.5 miles today. Sure felt humid out there but at least it wasn't raining anymore.

catwhoorg

Labrat

catwhoorg, how do you get home if you can't bike?

In the car ...

I do have to get two kids to school and pick them up each evening, at least for the rest of July.

August, when my daughter hits Kindergarden, she becomes my wifes' responsibility.

I am quite sad at the prospect losing that "ride time" together.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18