Masters Running

RUNNING & WEEKLY X-TRAINING - w/e 02/14 (Read 459 times)

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend. (Albert Camus)

Have a great week, friends.

Eliz - Low-mileage, but high enjoyment week.  

Erika - 40 miles run, 2 miles walked, 8.3 miles elliptical, 1 hr 10 min. weights and 1 hr 20 min pool running

Evryday - 42 miles Nice week!  Snuck it in there like it weren't nothin' but a thang

Dutchie - 43.9 km

pfriese - 50 running miles + about a million pushups.  Nice running week to you, too!

Nono - ran  24 mi, 20 min stretching, 20 min slideboarding, shoveled 7.5 hrs., walked 1/4 mi...

dg -

Stumpy - 10.7 running miles, 30 min walking, 1 hr yoga

shadowrunner - 21.6 miles for week.  3 hours core; 1.5 hrs free weights

fatozzig - 10 road miles, 13.39 trail miles, 30 min cycling, 40 min TRX-ing

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thank you Leslie.

Monday.......rest...............rest

Tues...........6miles..........6miles

Wed...........9miles...........9miles

Thurs...........rest..............rest

Frid..............10 miles......no run

Sat..................rest...........10miles

Sun..............18miles......18miles

Total....43 miles.....yep, tweren't nuthin' but a thang.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      evanflein

Thanks, Leslie!

I've been feeling kind of tired and draggy for the last couple of weeks. I think a rest day is in order. Yikes, that hurt to type that. First one since Christmas (and that was a 2 mile walk....)

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday: 5 easy/recovery pace miles, .66 mile walk

Wednesday: 12 min (1.3 miles) elliptical and 25 min. U/B weights at noon; 9 mile progressive pace run on the TM and .75 mile walk after work

Thursday: 5.1 miles easy pace, .5 mile walk

Friday: 16 min (1.73 miles) elliptical and 25 min. abs & UB weights; 30 min. pool run after work

Saturday: 9.2 miles (8:46 avg pace) out in the bright sunshine, .3 mile walk

Sunday: 17.3 miles (8:41 avg pace) long run, .35 mile walk

Totals: 45.6 miles run, 2.6 miles walked, 3 miles elliptical, 50 minutes weights, 30 minutes pool running

Just got back in the swing with running, and now the snow/ice/sleet/mess in my neighborhood make it, if not quite death-defying, certainly injury-defying.  I'm thinking I might be able to stop the insanity of so much snow this winter by getting a treadmill . . . or actually going to the gym until spring.

Monday - 1 hour on the bike trainer during "House"

Tuesday  - minimal stretching, thus rest in anticipation of the blizzard

Wednesday - power yoga 45 minutes

Thursday - power snow shoveling (it was really heavy this time around!) for 90 minutes; 45 minute walk

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Dutchie42

Hi everone, thanks Leslie for starting us up again. How's your back?

Mon.... UB+abs

Did 32 minutes of chest and triceps. Now I have DOMS in my chest  Bike paths are clear again. Biked to work: -4C with a windchill of -9C. Cold!

Tue.....7K hill training (Runerval 3) + 20min LB

Slept in. 

Wed.....5.5K easy run + Plyo Legs + abs

Because the Roparun relay is mostly hilly terrain from Paris (France) till about Antwerp (Belgium) I should do hill workouts. Runerval 5.0 is all about hills (and speed). I've had this w/o for 5 years now. About as long as I've owned my TM. But today is the first time I've ever done this w/o. Guess that tells you something about how much I like hills Smile Anyways, since it was the first time I was conservative with my speed.

Pace: BP = 8.5K/h and interval = 9.0K/h
            10min warm up with some strides thrown in
            Hill inclines:
            5-6-7-8% / 2 min on and 1 min off / 2 min recovery
            7-8-9-10% / 2 min on and 1 min off / 2 min recovery
            8-9-10% / 2 min on and 1 min off / 2min recovery
            9-10-11% / 1 min on and 1 min off / 2 min recovery

10-11-12% / 30 sec on and 1 min off / 3 min c.d.

My 1 min off recovery was mostly walking Wink

Gosh, this was hard work. Total mileage: 7 kilometers

Thu......12K run (tempo if I'm on the TM, easy with bridges if I'm outside)

Nothing to report. Day ran away from me completely after I found out someone drove into my car in the night. Judging from the tracks in the snow, he took a left turn too fast and slidded straight into my car. Had to deal with insurance, police and the repair shop. Still waiting to hear who has to pay for the damage: insurance company or me.

Fri.........UB + abs

30 minutes of back, shoulders and biceps. Skipped abs. Again...

Sat: ......4K doggie run + 3K easy on the TM + 30min LB

Way too icey to run outside.

Runervals 3.0 - cheetah fast. It's a pace interval w/o with inclines 2-5%. Ran a steady pace @9K/h on my own music and kept an eye on the incline on the screen.

Liked it. Not too strenuous. The hill inclines actually felt "easy". Including w.u and c.d. added up to 7.5 kilometers.

Added a 20min LB w/o and a 10 min ab w/o.

Sun.......4.5K doggie run + 15K loop with bridges

Running mileage:

Biking mileage:

UB:

LB:

Abs:

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Thanks Leslie, as always.  Nice quote very inspirational.  This week is going to be a bit ad hoc since out of town this weekend.  I will probably be late on final posts.

• MON:  Free weights PM.  45 mins
              • TUE:  AM - 3 sets of push-ups, 3 sets of abd excercises, mild stretching; PM - 5.12 miles this afternoon @ 8:17 pace.  Now just waiting on the storm and early bed.
              • WED:  AM 15 min core:  3 sets of push-ups, 3 sets of abd excercises, light stretches.  Another snow storm -ice and slush on  roads and not cleared; another rest day.
              • THUR:  Another rest day due to the massive snow storm.  Roads cleared tonight but no shoulders on road - just walls of snow.  No fitness center after work.  15 mins of core excercises: 100  push-ups [4 sets: 40, 20,20, 20], 3 sets of abds, light stretches.
              • FRI:  half hour free weights upper body; followed by 5 miles on dreadmill. 
              • SAT: rest day make-up running day 4.69 miles today
              • SUN:  run 4.39 miles
              • total 19.2 miles for week.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Thanks Leslie--hope you and Shorty are recovering--that's got to be a huge shock to everyone. 

Monday:  1 hr yoga.  done.

Tuesday:  4 miles.   Not done.  Yet.  RAW to gain an hour's extra sleep this morning.  3.4 of sucky running.  bleh.

Wednesday:  2 miles or x-training.  I anticpated shoveling for x-training, but nothing came down

Thursday:  4 miles and strength.  30 min eliptical due to sore foot.

Friday:  rest.   getting good at this part.

Saturday:  40 minute x-training.  1 hour pump class.

Sunday:  6 miles.  3.2 on the TM with 20 minutes of elliptical and 1.5 with Max.  Not 6, but not TOO bad.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mon - Rest

Tues - Rest - Back Issues

Wed - Rest (Dr Appt) - Back Issues

Thurs - 4 power walk/easy run miles; MAT session

Fri - MAT session

Sat - 11 trail miles (fingers crossed!)

Sun - 10 road miles

Totals: 14 road miles, 11 trail miles

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

Thanks again Leslie!   

I'll put last week's totals here.   too late to bump the other thread. 

19.2 miles running, 3 miles walking, 30 min. ellipticlling, 1 hr. 27 min. strength training.  skipped my LR.  That felt weird!

Did you have your MAT session yet?   I hope it helps.   For muscle spasms (me too, again) my pt said to use tennis balls or something similar to help the muscles relax.   also one to tweak the sacrum into a better position.  It's been really hard for me to fnd time to do these!

Erika, I hope your rest day  helps.     hey.   I was thining we could add "stupid" to our logs; keep track of the various methods.  I'm on a program sort of like an IV drip right now. 

okey dokey this week so far:

Mon.  6.4 miles 9:49 pace.  , reverse crunches & side planks.

Tues:   40 min. ellipticalling, 40 min. (2 sets all) upper & lower body weight machines, hammie curls, & Fitzgerald's deadbug.

Wed. 1.5 hrs. shoveling, a little under 2 .5 on the TM in my basement.   ugh.

Thurs.  4.66 miles 9:48 pace, reverse crunches, side planks, russian twists proprioceptive things at work.

Fri.       6.33 miles 9:42 pace, lower body weight machines (1 set) & back lifts.

I can barely stay awake. 

evanflein

Dg, an IV drip of stupid? I'd overdose, for sure!

Dutchie, what does your hill work write up mean? How do you interpret this?

"5-6-7-8% / 2 min on and 1 min off / 2 min recovery"

Does that mean 2 minutes at 5%, 1 minute flat, then 2 minuts at 6%, 1 minute flat, etc, then 2 minute recovery and start the next set? If so, looks pretty intense by the end!

Dutchie42

Erika: yeah, you nailed it and yes it was hard at the end. But I kept my pace easy and walked most recoveries Of course, I'll be working on this to increase pace and "jog" my recoveries.

I'm now wondering if my second speed workout should be intervals or tempo runs?

I read that hills do not replace other speed work entirely, but it should help with my pace in local races (all flat terrain, with the occasional bridge or dike). 

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

evanflein

Yes your hill work will make a huge difference in your flat terrain pacing. Hill work is like strength training for runners. As for your other question, I'd do tempo instead of intervals. But that's just me. I don't really ever do intervals (except half mile repeats on the treadmill).