Masters Running

Winding Down with Wednesday 11/21/18 (Read 40 times)

Thanks, Steve.  Hi, Tramps!  Sorry about the car failing you.  Enjoy your peaceful Thanksgiving.

Son has been here since Saturday night and he is doing a lot of work (his own work) during the day.  He seems calmer and less tightly wound.  I think he'll go out on his bike again later.  He can't run because his foot is recovering from kicking something about 5 weeks ago.   My daughter's boyfriend met him Sunday night and told her, "Boy, your brother sure is intense" and she told him this was nothing!

Got myself out the door at 10 am for 2.5 miles.  Still not feeling great from the sinus infection/antibiotics, but at least I got outside.  I have a 10K turkey trot tomorrow.  My left foot seems to be acting up again, but I refuse to blow off another race this season.  I'll be slow.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!!!

Image result for dancing bananas

Joe - You can cut through my backyard with a plate of brownies anytime!

We brined a turkey once.  It turned out delicious.  Not sure why we haven't done it since . . .

Erika - I have two theories on how I could've torn my hammy.  (1) I ignored the hamstring pain for far too long, it go worse and worse, and one day finally said "You're an idiot" and tore.  (2) In February 2017 when all of this was really geared up and I was being stupid and not not running, I slipped on our icy back deck and fell hard on my right glute/hammy/hip. I crawled into the house trying not to cry, and after awhile got up and went for my scheduled long run.  Suffice to say when all this first started, I was an idiot and I've been paying for it ever since.

SteveP - Thanks for the giggles this morning. 

It's just us tomorrow.  We've decided on a some kind of pork pot pie.  It's up to The Hub to figure out how to make it.

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

bioguy

A drop dead perfect day to run; chilly, sunny, light breeze, beautiful blue sky, and leaves in the last stages of turning color. Got in 8 miles.

My morning trip to the dentist was uneventful. X-rays didn't show a lot. He tapped on teeth with a little ball on the end of a handle; no pain. Scratched with a pick and had me bite down- nada. Then he blew jets of air and that lifted me out of the chair....Left with a prescription for an antibiotic, some Sensodyne toothpaste, a lecture to use my WaterPick more, and a discussion on root canals. I've never had one, but the one he did on my wife  was seemingly never-ending. She finally went to an endodontist.

The cross-country coach at my school  has organized a 5 miler tomorrow; no entry fee, just bring a canned good to donate and have fun.

Tailwinds!

BTY

'Alo, runners, and Happy Thanksgiving Eve to all.

Today is National "have fun getting the house ready for the onslaught I mean visit from the In-laws" day.  So far I haven't done too many of the things that my wife left me to do while she's at work, but hopefully I can get all those things done by the time she gets home....and that way they'll still look good and not destroyed by kids and dogs and cats.  That's the plan anyway.

Had a late morning workout at the gym that looked a lot like the early morning workouts I usually do; in fact I was surprised that I wasn't a little stronger at ~noon than at 7:00 AM, and I'd been wondering about that.  Didn't seem to have much of an effect on the stretching portion - I stretch about the same amount, regardless of the time of day.

The past two swim workouts have been encouraging.  I established a new distance record on Monday night with a pyramid workout similar to the last time I utilized that format; but this time I had a full hour and got in not only the 2500 yards of backstroke and crawl in the pyramid, but also did the 450 yard warm up and a fortuitous accidental extra 50 yards in the 500 yard backstroke, because otherwise I would've swum/swam/swimmed 2,950 yards.  So that was 3,000 yards in 59:45 - 15 seconds to spare Smile

Tuesday night I did 10 50 yard breaststroke intervals, 10 25 yard butterfly intervals, and 4 50 yard crawl "striders".  Including the warmup and cooldown I swam 1,850 yards.

I think the pool is open for "Open Swim" tonight as well, and they keep the lane markers up for lap swimmers when it's open, but it's really hard to tell if it's open or not - the online calendar says that it is, but the same calendar says there are swim lessons on Thanksgiving evening.

Even if it's open, I may face a fate similar to the turkey's if I actually go over tonight and swim for an hour while my wife is finishing prep work.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Brian

...very Cool BTY//.........you are an ANIMAL........

=========

our Y closed early

so

.....40-min on NordicTrak......

......Happy ThanksGiving and Safe Travels to Ya.....

eta-

Glad fatozzig is getting some Rain

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, DW and I went to a visitation this morning.  It was for the husband of my brother-in-law's sister (whew).  After that I went for an 8 mile run that included 3 x "neighborhood miles" (in my neighborhood and a bit over a mile in length...around 1.06).  7:09, 7:07, 7:11.  So at least some speed work this week.

SIL and BIL just arrived....and brought their dogs (not a great mix with DW's).  I'm going to have to consider heading back to my apartment (mostly) kidding.  I am not a dog person and usually people respect that.....doesn't seem to be the case here.

As for tomorrow, there is a tradition here of running the Huff-n-Puff on the Bluff 15k course at 6 AM on Thanksgiving morning.  Not a race.  And we usually have 50+ people show.

Have a greta day everyone!

C-R

Hi All. Taking a break from RA and trying to get some joy back in my running.

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving holiday.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

...because otherwise I would've swum/swam/swimmed 2,950 yards.  So that was 3,000 yards in 59:45 - 15 seconds to spare Smile

I can't ever remember what the past tense of swim is, either. That was one helluva workout!

Falcon, my son and his wife used to bring their cats with them all the time. Kind of annoying and I asked them to stop when their young cat grew old enough (and alpha enough) to really go after my Emma. When Dani chased Emma down the stairs and into the garage, I said that was more than enough.

Hi C-R! We were wondering where you'd gone off to. Hope you find the joy soon. I've been struggling with that too recently.

Hi Tramps! Sorry to hear about the car woes (we have truck woes, failed fuel pump), but the timing was pretty good. Hope you have a good doc visit, and surgery may be just the thing, yes?

Yay for rain, Fatozzig! And I do remember you telling us about the fall. That was quite awhile ago. I think after every injury we do a bit of looking back and think "I wish I hadn't done that."

Jay, thanks for the link, and to Jlynne for asking for it. I'm thinking I'm going to do roast sweet potatoes (I think they're actually garnet yams) and maybe add some of my red potatoes that are red all the way through (or pink, actually). I'm not a huge fan of mashed potatoes, and I'm the one making dinner so I can do whatever I want, right?

Kind of lightly staffed here, too. I'm slogging away on stuff though, and may come in on Friday or Saturday to do some catch up stuff but it'll be good to not have anyone else here. This is supposed to be my last big running week/weekend before Rehoboth Beach on Dec. 8, so I guess I'll get some running done, too.

Didn't get a run in yesterday due to spending 3+ hours at the car dealership, short version is that they wanted over 11,000.00 to fix everything that is going on with the car or just 1580.00 to replace the alternator and battery. To top it off they offered me 500.00 if I trade it in, its a 2005 bmw x3 with a lot of miles. Decided to donate it to Good Will and take the 500. tax deduction. Will be happy driving my old truck!

Got an easy 5 in today. Will be running the local Turkey Trot tomorrow then letting a restaurant cook my thanksgiving meal.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

evanflein

$11,000 repair bill? Holy carp... I don't think both our vehicles combined are worth that.

Got out for 5.2 miles this afternoon. These temps (around 19 or 20° ) make the snow really slick. Feels like you slip just a little bit with each step. I definitely don't have my "snow legs" yet. That run felt like a lot of work but glad it's done.

spacityrunner

Oh what a glorious trail run this evening.  Perfect temps.  Sunset through the colorful leaves and then a big as a pizza pie moon in your eye..moonrise.  It feels so good to be back on the trails.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mark, . . . I mean Michael, . . . I mean BTY,

You just swam more in one hour

than I have in the last five years, . . .

Wow. whew.

spacity - me too on the trails but not much color anymore, just brown, brown and more more brown plus needed a 25-mile early morning drive up I-90 to the Mt. Si Tailhead I hiked on Monday but this time to retrieve the down vest and Portland Marathon windbreaker I ditched on the way up on Monday as temps started warming up from the 43o at the early am start.  Not so cold this morning (54o)as clouds have returned with a little sprinkling we haven’t seen much of since April as if practicing for Sunday’s Seattle Marathon.  Though I was sure on Monday that I’d correctly memorized the two big trees and windfall snag I’d tucked them under, somehow missed ‘em on the way down so needed to go back today. 

However, shouldn’t be a problem findin' 'em today as I was sure they were about 2-miles up the main trail so was planning to look more closely when I got up to that elevation.  However, at just past one-half mile barely into it, after passing by two big trees and a snag looking kind of just like the ones I was going up to look for at mile two, I wisely doubled back down for a closer look behind the snag itself and voila - vest and jacket!

Not one to waste venturing into the mountains on a measly one-half mile, I continued up but, instead of another tedious ascent on the main trail through the gloomy evergreen second-growth forests, took the 1.3 mile Talus Loop at mile 1.0 past the Roaring River overview and hooked back up to the main trail at mile 1.5 to go back down for a 4-mile day in the woods before getting back home by noon to head-and-gut the take of mackerel, herring and Pacific saury and salmon eggs from this year’s Fish Expo.  Guess won't need turkey tomorrow.

erika - ever since 1990, whenever I’ve been in town, I’ve looked forward to running the Seattle Marathon with so many others of similar ilk who were also ripe for something like Marathon Maniacs when it was founded by three local runners in 2003 that, unlike its predecessor Marathon Overachievers in the nineties, caught on like wildfire.  The reason I always run in local marathons no matter where I am goes back youthful years of listening to a local sportscaster ending his broadcasts with a long, drawn-out, “Support Your Local Athletics” and having me vow always to do the same.  He later announced the Fairbanks Goldpanners games up there. I don’t think you need a hint but his initials were, . . . . , no I’m sure you don’t need even that hint.  We loved his accent.
                          “Moses drubbles down the key, eyes the bisket,
                          turns, joomps oop and, and . . HE DOOOS IT!”

Image result for roaring river images north bend

Roaring River from Talus Trail

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, I know you loved Steve Agbaba, but sorry I don't share that affection. I thought he was an idiot, but mainly because he tried to get involved politically in things he didn't know anything about... Anyhow, fun that you have that good memory of him. And yes, Seattle Marathon was a lot of fun!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - that's for sure.

He was a delightful idiot down here but that was

before he started foraging out of his league.

ps tramps - maybe check with wildchild's meniscus doc.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)