Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.9.19 (Read 40 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I'm glad you added your experience KSA. Nice win at the Hatfield McCoy! Neat to think you, me, and Dave ran the same route so many years apart. The town was very depressed in 2005. I wonder how it is now? It was so bad in 2005, SrLopez couldn't even stand the odor in his hotel room. He checked out early and didn't even run the race?

We, too, are watching college football. Buckeyes win big! But I wish there was a mercy rule. In high school football, if one team dominates like that they "run the clock". Meaning the clock stops for nothing so the game ends quicker.

We're supposed to play bridge tonight but our neighbor has a cold. So she said she was not sure she'd be up for bridge. Plus she was concerned about "sharing" her germs.

Last night we went to the movies. I never go to the movies. But. I wanted to see "Jojo Rabbit".

Wow. Amazing film! Quite disturbing. But so well written. So well acted. I can't recommend you see it because I don't know you. But just know it is good. But disturbing.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

anneb

We used to DIY wash with Gibson and it cost $18-20, but I swear that dog had a double coat and the hair was outrageous. And it was always nice to be able to dry him. We haven't had to do it yet with Mia (in the summer we wash outside so no mess, just towels) but she needs a bath soon... plus the place where we go they clip into the tubs, they're higher up, so no bending over to wash, etc. It should be an adventure!

Dogs are washed and we got Sophie her Bordetella shot at the vet clinic that was set up today in the store.  $10 for each dog for the dog wash which I think is really worth it-  their water and mess!  They have towels and an air dryer.  It's still a production, but they look great and smell good!

We ran a bunch of errands so I didn't get out until almost noon! I hate running the later it gets in a day... so managed 6 miles but none of it felt all that great. I wore heels all day on Thursday and did some walking and my shins are still sore! Heels are bad...

Anne

Buehrle-  Williamson is still fairly depressed.  When we went we took our travel trailer, parked it at the train depot in the halfway town (I forget what it is called) and drove back to Williamson for the start in the morning.  I didn't sleep at all.   My company has a store there and it does really well, but a lot of the customers don't have computers or even cell phones.  ATT got sideways with the town a few years ago (unless it has changed in the last 2 years) and there was almost NO ATT reception.   I have an active case right now arising out of our Logan, WV store that is in the same area, and I'm hoping I don't have to go there.....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow. Amazing film! Quite disturbing. But so well written. So well acted. I can't recommend you see it because I don't know you. But just know it is good. But disturbing.

Hmmm, the previews made it look like something I wanted to see, but now I am not so sure.  Is it disturbing in the "satirical and funny but totally not politically correct" way, or "disturbing and depressing and sad" way?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Hey everyone, thanks for your best wishes on the marathon this morning.

A lot to report and I'll write it up with pix tomorrow.   But it went largely as expected and slow and OK.  Had a marvelous time with DS1 and GS1 over the first 7+ miles too.

Parallell to Dave's results:

Marathon #90 for me

5:15:27

4225 of 4953  overall

2551 of 2844 male

48 of 56 age group 65-69

More later!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Holly,  it's hard to describe. The disturbing scenes are integral to the plot and speak accurately to the horror of Nazi Germany. These scenes are not overemphasized. The film has nothing to with political correctness one way or the other. That term cannot be applied to it at all.

However. It could be considered a social commentary on how easily humans are brainwashed. And how pliable and resilient children are. And how some adults are good and some adults are evil.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Congratulations on a good run, Joe!  Family. That's the best.

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, what a nice picture of your kids!

Congrats to Joe and Dave on your respective races!

I did a run/walk down to the rec center, did a short workout, and ran/walked home.  I ran 30 seconds every 3 minutes and walked fast the rest of the time, and my overall pace was 14:35 and distance was 4.75 miles.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59 congratulations on the race. It sounds like a tough course.

Joe618 wow 90 marathons! Incredible.

Holly S. that is a great picture.

anachrotech as they say slow and steady wins the race. Eventually your ability to run distance will return.

Speaking of going slow with returns from injury, today I ran 4 miles and that is my max for this week. When I finished I the local running club was as well and one of my old friends was there for their post run meetup. The guy is a really fast runner. Easily qualifies for Boston kind of fast. Well, he is currently down to running 0.1 miles and walking for a half mile, then repeat a few times. Why? Because he is hurt and rather than let himself heal up, he keeps pushing it. I am worried that he is on his way to doing himself some permanent harm. My standard quip about this kind of situation is that if you cut your finger the skin will  come back stronger than ever. If you cut it off, it will not. I think he is busy cutting it off.

While I am doing stories about lack of patience, here is another. The day my surgeon reattached my hamstring, he also reattached one on another guy. (Two hamstring reattachments in one day is really, really unusual around here.) To add to coincidences, the other guy went to the same PT facility that I did. We had different therapists, but it was the same shop. He should have healed up faster and better than me. He is nearly half my age and had a cleaner (acute instead of chronic) tear. But, he was impatient. He started sitting up before being given the green light to do so. Plus, he was not all that good at keeping up on his rehab. I just ran a marathon, I am not sure he can run 100 yards.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yay Joe!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Congratulations Joe and Dave!

Hey y'all, ignored my early alarm....here in north Alabama the temps were similar to KSA's, mid to upper 20s.  So I stayed in bed.  After it warmed some, DW, DS#2 and I took their dogs to the detention pond for the subdivision.  Large fenced area so the dogs can run without leashes.  Afterward I went for what turned out to be a bit over 6 miles.

Have a greta night everyone!

Just goes to show - listen to the professionals, do your exercises in the manner and sequence given to you, be patient and smart, and don't rush the process . . . . which is exactly what you did.  You've been the perfect PT patient.

Worked 5 hrs, then came home and got about 30 min of core/ST done, then made granola.  Finished the day watching football, working on the puzzle, and working on a scarf I'm knitting (that's the only thing I can knit).  It's been a fairly casual day.  Time to hit the hay.

`Nite All ~~~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Quickadder

Ignored my early alarm too. Joined the usual Saturday morning group run at 7am by which time it was 40F. Made the mistake of wearing a LS shirt. Was 53F by the time I stopped at 17 miles.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

Twocat -excellent point!

Joe - well done!

Carolyn - hiyah!

Falconfixer - I didn't realize it got that cold in Alabama.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."