Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 09/05/09 (Read 503 times)

jfa

Hey really cool pics Jim! Sure looks nice up there.Dessie looks funny as heck in that picture,cracks me up! She's like    "look at me Mom"! She has some rather large ears?

Good going getting your pretty little heart checked Arla. At your age, you better! Thanks for getting that JA song stuck in my head,still can't get rid of it!

Cindy- video looks good and I love that scenery.

Looks like some nice weather for the weekend.80's and clear after a week in the 70's. Tough dealing with heat and running but this summer feels like it only lasted about 3 weeks! 

MT spell Dessie's name correctly.

Top 'O the World!

Morning!

Nice Pics Jim!  Dessie will love doing those w/you in the future   Glad we got our mtn time in before the smoke from CA rolled in!

Guess I'm in no position to preach to Leslie about the virtues of rest   but still......I believe it, even if I don't practice it so much!

3.1 hilly mosey miles w/Mairead...looking at the sublte changes that herald the imminent change of seasons...cpl yellow leaves on an aspen tree, Fall flowers starting to show up...children screaming across the playground @ the school....off to mow & such...

Ciao!

mta: cause Joe needs a new "song" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwDa5dMmfZ4

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Dang! My computer is slow in getting in here this evening.

So how're you all??  We have no Internet at work still, may not have it for a couple more days, so I have to go through withdrawals from this site until I can get home in the evenings.  Had a leg sec assocation meeting tonight, and the speaker was the local city attorney who volunteers as a CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate) - for children who, for the most part, are foster kids in the court system.  Very compelling, but I think it takes a very special person to be involved with a child like that.  My hat's off to her and all the other volunteers.

Got in 6 sort of sproinky, hilly with strides miles this a.m.  Bee-U-tiful huge full yellowish moon sitting low on the horizon.  Wished I coulda been running with it or toward it, but, alas, I was going the other direction.

It's definitelly getting crisper out therein the predawn hours.  It's the kind of predawn weather I like to run in.  Just a bit of a nip, but not too much.  The berry bushes/bird bushes are pretty full now, so for the past few weeks I've been eating a couple of handfuls of blackberries at the ends of my runs.  Mmmmmm!

Found out tonight that the neighbor's cat is not a Missy Pants after all.  She's a he, so do we call him Mister Pants??  Missy Pants fit so well, I'm a bit disappointed.  And for the record, the neighbors were the ones who said he was a she.  They didn't know otherwise until they took him in to get fixed.

Well, it's 9:15 and I'm still recovering from last week's activities (or at least that's my excuse), so I'm off to bed.  Good night, sleep tight, and don't let the bedbugs bite.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Quiet in here!

I need a nap....tell ya'll about it later....

3 more miles w/the Snug last night, then 5 more (all slow/easy) this am...

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hi Kiddies, getting primed for the long weekend are we?

Nice juxtaposition with that video and song Cindy.

Leslie- no Internet? i thought my boss was cruel I also ran under that big moon last night by the beach.Suhweet!

Yep,passed the 2k mark last night.  Just booked a room in Philly for my Nov marathon. Would you believe most of the rooms are already taken? Who are all these people going to these marathons? Geez!

Yep,passed the 2k mark last night. 

Yea, Joe!!  Congratulations!!

Re the Internet - {sigh}  Let's just say AT&T sucks.  Hopefully it'll be up and running by the time I get back to that office next Thursday.

Decided to exercise my option of another rest day and stayed in bed until about 7:00.  Well, I got up around 5:30 and fed the gang, but went back to bed and snoozed off and on for the next 1.5 hours.  Felt really good.

Got home day before yesterday to a phone call from a collection agency saying I hadn't paid a $29.47 ER Doc bill and that I'd been sent to collections.  WTH???  It took me, literally, 6 or 7 phone calls to the collection agency and the original billing office to figure out what the $%*& was going on.  One guy from the agency even went so far as to say, "Ms. Ames, everybody has medical bills.  You need to pay yours."    If I could've reached through the phone and stabbed him to death, I would have.  So now I have to provide that agency with proof of all my payments (which I have, thanks to bill pay through my bank) in order to get them off my back.  I tell ya, I am so mad about this, I've been spitting nails.

The local hospital uses a billing office in San Diego.  I intend to right a letter to the hospital expressing my extreme displeasure and PO'd-ness over this whole thing.

And on that note - you all have a FANTASTIC extended weekend.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

5 miles, 2 with the dog. Nice run weather here.

Joe we had supper in Estes Park with the ultrarunner. He did finish 32ond at Leadville. He said he doesn't run in the 5 fingers much because his 2ond toe is longer than his big toe and they don't fit him very well. He did Leadville in racing flats though. Interesting guy, unorthadox training schedule because of job and family. Basically did 2 -50+ milers every other week at peak. Looks like a pow with his shirt off maybe weighs134, only lost 1 pound during Leadville. Congrats on Mile2K!!!

Carol hope the cold is better.

Shout out to Jewels hope things are working out now.

Leslie sounds like an interesting transition if nothing else. Your Training seems to be coming along nicely.  My editor friend Jonathan considered Biz Johnson but had a conflict as He has a race to cover.

Hi Arla sounds like fun times at your half.

Cindy haven't had a chance to look at the TRR yet. 

Hi Ev, Kevin and Kelly and anyone else lurking out there.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie . . . My editor friend Jonathan considered Biz Johnson but had a conflict as He has a race to cover.

I found Bizz to be very boring.  But, if Jonathan is used to running nothing but pavement, maybe it wouldn't be so boring to him.

Arla - HAVE FUN!  GET PICTURES!!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Howdy!!  Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day Weekend!!

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW ARLA!! 

Taking a bit of a rest day today...could easily turn into an insanely busy wknd & I want to get a jump on it   still don't think we quite have my meds dialed in yet.  Rediculously tired, sluggish, brain foggy, etc. sometimes...sometimes not. Sometimes have a mushy period in the middle of the day that goes away later... Regardless, I push through with the stuff I HAVE to get done.  Saw a Doc on a local news program talking about just this thing..& about how common it is, for women particularly, to be being treated, but not corrected. Labs say TSH is where it should be & most Dr's are content w/that, even though symptoms persist & that there are then other things that needs to be looked at & addressed..hmmmm...apparently I qualify for a "free consultation" - not till end of the month though, so I have to wait till then to find out if there's a modification that can help. Meantime, reading up on some stuff, another Doc (w/mult letters behind name) has a published article about some of the foods that inhibit thyroid balance....seems I regularly eat/drink many things on the "should not" list   so, maybe whilst I wait for next appt/blood test, I could try eliminating some of these things & see what happens. 

Cindy - Hang in there! Keeping fingers crossed things work out.

Did 20 miles on the Elk River Trail in the Headwaters Forest today.  Man, am I beat!  After the first 3 miles, you climb for two miles on switchbacks, do a half mile loop at the top through the Old Growth, then back out for an 11 mile round trip.  Plan A was to run the switchbacks 3 times, so we stashed extra fluid at the bottom.  Once we got to the top, we decided to do the loop 3 times.  Karen was in "The Zone," was just cruising, and I eventually lost sight of her.  I forgot how many loops I'd done, so I went ahead and did another.  I was about halfway through when I realized Karen had gone back down the hill.  Oh well.  I knew she'd figure out I wasn't behind, and sure enough, about 1/4 mile back down, here she comes back up, worried.  Sorry!

And the top of our second climb, I told her there was no way I was doing that again.  No frigging way!  So we decided to do 6 loops at the top, but only got through 3 when we both said enough's enough and headed back down.  It's so steep much of the time going down, that you actually smile at the few inclines - for a second.

It also rained, which felt wonderful when it was hitting you, but once it stopped, the humidity - Ugh!  I ran almost the entire 20 miles sans shirt because it was just too humid and warm.  Poor Charlie Dog, he practically ran us over when we got near the creek each time.  And when we got to the pond area, I wanted to jump in the water with him!

So now here I sit with my feet up 'cause their killing me, thinking about all the cold watermelon I have cut up in  the fridge.  Yum!  Here's a graph that shows what the climbing is like.  I don't know if the elevation is right, but it gives a really good picture of the climbing.

My feet are killing me.  My shoes must be nearing the end of their life.  Off to eat some watermelon!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone!  Surprise!  Thought I'd drop by for a visit.  Looks like everyone is doing well. 

Jim-nice pics, Congrats to Joe on 2K (I crossed that line myself already), Good luck to Arla!  Hi to everyone else! 

I'm doing well.  Busy with stuff like usual.  I'm 2 weeks out from the Iroquois Trails 100 in Virgil, NY.  The same 100 I did last year.  Ready to go get it done before I destroy myself supposedly tapering.  I lifted weights yesterday because I didn't think I got a good session in all week and for some reason felt the need to do 3 sets each of squats and lunges and did an upper body workout with a client.  Did a 20 miler today going up and down the Mt Mansfield Toll Rd twice-2550' elevation gain over 4.5m.  It was more of a speed hike/run up but all running down.  Like my ass wasn't sore enough already from the squats and lunges-lets rip up the quads to go with it!   

I was with a friend whom I train a lot with so it was fun in a sick way.

I'd chat more but I'm beat-take care and I'll pop back in soon,

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

A Kelly sighting!!  How's your butt feeling today?   Countdown to Iroquois!

6.6 tired legs road miles this a.m.  Plus dealing with some, um, friction issues from yesterday.  I even used Body Glide.  I need to find shorts that are longer in the legs.

Hope the weekend is treating everyone well.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

12.1 today, was shooting for a half but hip gave fair warning once I hit the pavement about mile 11. Dessie went 1.6.

Glad to see you Kelly. Good luck on your ultra!!

Leslie thats some kind of elevation gain there!!

I found some Brooks shorts with compression liners took away my chaffing issues. S'pose they have a women's model.....

Cindy hope the meds come aroundfor ya.

Some more mtn pics for ya. Snow Climbing and boot skiing in Aug.

Big rocks in Chaos Canyon. Class 3 climbing on glacial knobs.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Very cool pics, Jim.  I may have to pilfer a couple of them as screen savers.

Compression liners.  I'll have to look into it as I doubt very seriously my thighs are going to get any thinner . . . unfortunately.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance