Masters Running

Leftovers Friday, 11.29.19 (Read 41 times)

Yeah, I'm an engineer too...wonder if the bird was more dense?  Or not fully thawed?  Or if the space-time continuum had warped causing thermodynamic imbalance around the gizzard ligaments?? 

I'm kinda intrigued by the Black Friday repeat of the Turkey Trot event...I look at things from an RD's perspective and that means a second early morning, second set up, second set of volunteers, a second cold morning.   Any idea how many they have for the second event? 

Joe, with all of what they're feeding poultry and livestock these days (how do the get those HUGE chicken breasts?), I was also wondering if the composition of the meat has changed. We suspected a thawing problem last year, so made sure it was thoroughly thawed this time.

On the back-to-back events, the RD runs this as a business and is herself quite an ultra-athlete -- runs trail ultras, tough mudders, and all that stuff. I've known her since she started doing this since she has a lawn-mowiing business in the summer and still does a couple houses in our neighborhood. Believe me, she is one tough cookie! From her Strava post, I saw that she pre-rode the course on both Thursday and today at 4AM on a bike -- cold and pitch black and bike headlights are not all that great. Her web site is moveit-fitness.com if you want to check it out. Looks like about 200 runners today or maybe 1/3 of yesterday's count.

KSA, that is absolutely horrible! I can't imagine the effect on the parents and other close relatives.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Joe618

Doug, thanks...if the race is business, it all makes sense.   

Karen, oh my, that is just horrific.   So sorry to hear of this tragedy. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

KSA - Horrible doesn't even begin to describe.  I can't imagine.

I like the skeleton.   A friend's family used to have a very large pair of ladies underwear that would show up in various places, mostly as a nicely wrapped gift to a family member for a birthday, Christmas . . . .

Also - What do you use to clean up cat pee?  I've tried so many products with varying degrees of limited success.

Growing up, it was Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.

Stumpy - Sorry Maggie thwarted your dinner plans.  I'm assuming she did not get any turkey??

Tammy - A friend of mine started working in the DAs office a few months ago.  She said they outsource all their transcription.  She asked our DA, Maggie Fleming, about throwing some work my way, but because our office does criminal work, Maggie's worried there'd end up being a conflict of interest at some point.  That was really a bummer to find out.  But - I'm going to reach out to the DA and PD offices in neighboring counties in the hopes of being able to start picking up work.  I haven't had any transcription in months.

Today we got up early and hit a fairly secluded beach north of us for some load tide rock hunting, then went on a 2.5 mile hike on Trillium Falls Trail just outside Fern Canyon.  We've been wanting to hike that trail for awhile.  My butt's fairly PO'd from the hike, but it was worth it.  It was really pretty with a fair amount of old growth redwoods.  Also saw lots of elk on the drive to and from. Now we're just chillin' for the rest of the evening.

The last two days have been beautiful.  We're expecting rain tomorrow, so I'm glad we got out to enjoy the sunshine.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

OMG Karen, I just can't imagine. Gives me chills! How tragic for everyone involved.

Tet, I agree Thanksgiving supper just doesn't have the right ring to it.

We got so much snow! Geez.... enough already. I think historically November is our snowiest month, but the last few years haven't seen that much. I think it's making up for it this year. And being a holiday weekend, not much but the main roads have been plowed. I came onto campus to run from my office, and the guy who plows the bike path was doing the sidewalk. I guess they're just trying to keep up with it as much as they can. Nothing on the path though. So, I ran down the hill and on the roads south of campus. Neighborhood roads that are somewhat packed down by cars, but again nothing had been plowed there either. Got 5.4 miles in and called it quits at DH's office. Grabbed the truck and drove back to campus. Time to head home now.

KSA - that is so incredibly awful!! I am so sorry!!

I know I know - I have been MIA again!! Had a wonderful retreat last weekend and just trying to get through a choppy work schedule and the holiday!! We did start our DGAFAOTH challenge again yesterday!!  Feaster Five 5 miler for me yesterday with a 1.2 mile trot afterward just because. Today up early to get 2.2 miles in on the treadmill before meeting friends to carpool to work. Work days are always the challenge for me but hoping to go strong this year!

Snow - ya we are supposed to get some Sunday - Monday and of course I am working both those days. WHY do I still live here?????

denise

We haven’t found the perfect product for cat pee yet.  We use Rug Doctor, Nature’s Miracle and Resolve.  Some of them seem to just cover up the odor without actually getting rid of it.  They all tell you to put it on and wait 20 minutes or so before scrubbing it off.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

KSA, that is horrific! Such senseless crimes, so tragic.

My heartfelt thanks to all of you for your outpouring of caring, support, encouragement and most of all your prayers. I do have a women's support group at Celebrate Recovery where I got sober over seven years ago. In June I joined a missional community group where families come together to serve and care for one another and live on mission together. Lon doesn't come to MCG but he does attend CR although he doesn't stay for the small open share groups. I wish he had someone to open up to.  He has refused to talk to Pastor or anyone from church.

We had an uneventful Thanksgiving with no family around this year. Some friends did us invite us over along with the Pastor and his young family. Lon agreed to go which surprised me.  We enjoyed being there for an non-traditional dinner of chicken lasagna. I did score the turkey carcass from the meal we had at MCG on Tuesday so we made a big batch of soup together before we went.

I started out the day with a bike ride on my trainer. :55 of easy riding. I experimented trying to watch the big screen TV but it puts a kink in my neck. I could try Netflix or Hulu on my I-pad and use my phone for the bike app. Podcasts are probably the way to go.

I just finished knitting a hat and now I am making some more in purple and gold and maybe one in green and gold for GD (a Packer fan). It is snowing here now after a bit of freezing rain.  Glad I don't have to go anywhere.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

KSA what a horrible thing to happen to your employee or agency's employee.  Not sure what, but regardless this is such a sad situation.

Today was 6 miles of running and some Xt. Then was working a few hours on agency's budget.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard