Masters Running

Turkey Trots and Pumpkin Pie (Read 447 times)

Turkey Trot 5K, 20:59 (6:46/mi) Div 3/59 Overall 77/1328 Gotta eat Smile [updated with preliminary results from the web site]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

My DD says she learned in biology class that there's a genetic reason why some people don't like Brussels sprouts. Some people have taste receptors that are sensitive to the bitter chemicals in sprouts, and some don't. That's why you either love 'em or hate 'em. Lots of good turkey trots and other runs today! I took a day off from running, but had a nice 3-mile walk around the block with DH, DD, and both dear dogs. About 29 degrees with a couple inches of fresh snow. Happy Thanksgiving to all my virtual running buddies!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Interestlingly, my Garmin time was only 1 second off the chip time. Time: 42:02 24/231 AG 300/2698 women 1206/5527 total finishers I love the stats in these big races. However slow I go, there are always so many that I beat...good for my ego...... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

rlemert

Volunteered to work our Raleigh/Cary Turkey Trot 8K. Had a blast and got in about 2.5 miles walking from one place to another!
          Which one? The Inside-Out in Cary?* If so, you probably saw me wheez by at some point. You would think that a course that starts and ends at the same place would eventually have some down-hill segments, but I'd swear while running that it sure didn't seem like it. It still turned out to be a good day for me - 45:35 unofficially for a 9:07 pace. Now all I need to do is maintain that pace for another eight miles and my wife will let me train for my second full marathon. * The Raleigh area actually has two separate 8K Turkey Trot races, but they were both started by the same running store. They started the one on Ridge Road first because they had a satellite store in a small shopping center there, and because the neighborhood was more conducive to a road race. Three years ago they closed that second store and moved the race to their main store in Cary. The shopping center they left, though, enjoyed having the race, so they've kept the old race alive under a new name and new management. The only problem with having the two races is that the one in Cary is generally part of our local fall Grand Prix series, and the other isn't. You have to be careful if you're running the Grand Prix to get into the right race so you don't lose potential points.
            You rock, Holly! I say have that pumpkin pie AND a good helping of ice cream on top. Lots of good races today. Lou - 6:46 miles? I run vicariously through you! It's great to see Dan posting. I'm glad you're doing so well! I've put on my sweat pants (a sure sign of eating way too much) and I'm heading for the couch. Enjoy your evening, everyone.
              Roch - yes, jdmom3 has been posting here Holly - nice race! Congratulations to all the turkey trotters. I updated my results slightly above, based on the posted, "preliminary results". Now I wonder if they'll change my 20:59.05 to 20:59 or to 21:00 Roll eyes

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TammyinGP

Nice racing to the Trotters! Yesterday after work, I got in some gym time and like, Tim, embraced the cross training! - elliptical, leg weights and some spinning. This a.m., I met up with my friend, Laura (who is also planning on Seattle with me next June) and we ran 6.3 wonderful miles - chatting the whole way - the time went so quickly. Feet have been a little achy this afternoon. I'm heading to the running store next week to talk to the running guru there about different types of running shoes and will maybe consider switching to a different brand and see if that helps at all. had a nice meal with my family - only 5 of us - but food for about 10. Leftovers are the best! The first two football games were pretty worthless. Still watching Eagles/Cardinals - but at least this one so far is better than the others. The highlight game of the weekend though will be Saturday at 4 p.m.! Go Beavers!

Tammy

Happy Turkey Day, everyone. Trots, solitary runs, couples - looks like it ran the gamut today. Coach Bill and I participated in our local 5k Turkey Trot, only my 2nd year to participate. Well over 400 bodies showed up, from little kids to grandparents. They ran out of bib numbers (first time ever), so got innovative by using duct tape. Coach stuck with me, and we ran the 5k in 27:05, which I think ended up being about an 8:32 av pace. I was 2:14 faster than last year! Woo hoo! I cooked dinner for the Hub and a friend - who pretty much closed the town down last night, so they were a hurtin' coupla puppies. My dad works the graveyard shift, so we'll celebrate Thanksgiving with him on Sunday. I'm very thankful for the comraderie (sp?) I've found on this site. Thanks!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Lynda and I did the Pederson Volvo 4 miler in Ft Collins Colorado. 3000 racers with lots of walkers, 6 porto-potties, super course, friendly volunteers, supportive crowd, chip time, tech long sleeve option.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III