Masters Running

Thu July 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 410 times)

Renee the dog

When people tell me they think I run too much, I tell them I think they sit too much.  Usually they are quite offended.  I then point out that I feel the same way about their comments.  Usually, it is a lightbulb moment.  Sometimes not.

Got out just now for 3 miles barefoot on the sand.  Started raining cats & dogs before I was done...felt great! 

Have a good night, all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

When people tell me they think I run too much, I tell them I think they sit too much.  Usually they are quite offended.  I then point out that I feel the same way about their comments.  Usually, it is a lightbulb moment.  Sometimes not.

<snort guffaw snort>

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

5.5 mile RAL, started out easy but soon felt the need for some speed. Figured it's my last chance for anything speedy before Sunday's race. This is an out and back, of sorts, but I run out 3 miles and stop at 5.5 to walk the last bit back to my office. 8:41, 8:51, 8:51, 8:09, 7:29 and the last half at 8:25. I will fully confess that miles 4 & 5 were a little bit of downhill so gravity played a part, but who was I to argue?

It is really amazing to watch the forest fire smoke roll in as the day wears on. It was not bad when I left, but I could tell it was getting worse as I came back and the visibility across the valley is dropping noticeably since noon. DS2 has a soccer game tonight, and he can't find his inhaler. Might have to pull him from this one.

One thing is for sure, my first "comeback" run two days ago was HARD.  

I only was off three weeks and it took me almost all of another three weeks to get any endurance back.  I missed how long you were out, but (and I know you probably already know this), it's good to come back slowly -- just doing easy runs for longer than you'd like.  

I'm definitely OCD, and I wear it as a badge Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

SteveP

Aww JLynne

Let's see...When are we running too much?..Every one has their own idea. IMHO, it's not the number of miles or hours per week. Do we like the way we feel? Do we need to get out of the house for a bit? Get some "me time"? Avoid dealing with the kids' issues or does it help sort them out? Does the household or family relationships suffer because of our running goals? Can people depend on us without our workouts hindering commitments? Personally, I think we have a healthy goup here. Running is cheaper than crack, affairs, extra weight, smoking, Batman T shirts...Etc... A few of you are weird though....I'm just sayin'

Sorry about Birth Mom's remarks Holly. I think you make smart choices and set a wonderful fitness example for them kids of yours.

DW and I went 1.5 with Tag. Work's been more active which helps with the $$ but takes time. I've felt horrid cause the dog and I have not been out. I got out early and put an AM mile in with him. Poor guy.

Google made me happy this AM

SteveP

I am here late so I am just going to rant a quick bit here about those claiming "running is bad for you."  I usually reply by citing the current crop of papers showing it is not only good for you but better for your knees than swimming.  Yep, I not only do this stuff on the boards but in real life too!  [editor:  And you wonder why you have no friends?  ]  The idea that MDs would tell people running is bad for them boarders, in my view, on medical malpractice.  If people view you as an expert in something then before opining on the topic you should actually be familiar with the current literature on it.  Otherwise it is easy to hand out inaccurate and likely harmful "information." 

As to who gets into racing or running long distances I am not sure that it has a lot to do with OCD.  I have run nearly my whole life, but only started racing a few years ago.  Basically, I discovered I was a decent racer and had fun "competing."   Competing belongs in quotes as I may be decent but I am not actually good enough to ever win!  Still, it is fun.  Does finding it fun to compete make you OCD?  I am not sure what the answer is.

My vote for best answer posted today goes to  . . . drum roll . . . nonoruns!  A definite classic that I have to remember!  [editor:  Bet she doesn't have any friends either!  Twocat:  Yea, but at least its not because she bored them to death!  ]

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

What would you do for a Klondike Bar?

I ran 3 miles tonight at 8 pm. It cooled off to about 80 degrees, so figured I had no excuses not to run. . . .plus, I wanted that dark chocolate Klondike bar.

Tammy

"Running is an addiction"  When someone tells me that  I usually respond that being lazy is an addiction, being obese is a side affect of several addictions.  Running is a "committment" to better yourself.   

No run today just umpiring...Marathon training going good so far.  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.