Masters Running

What do you guys do for IT band maintenance? (Read 23 times)

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I'm out running again but the IT band still seems to have minor issues.  It never had a problem before last September.

What are some easy things I can do to keep it happy?

Bill Wagnon / stl

TammyinGP

Hey Bill, nice to see you here 

I did respond to your question in the other forum where you posted this before it was suggested you wander into this group to inquire also.  I'll just copy/paste how I responded before incase anyone here wants to expound on what I said:

Hi!

It does sound like ITBand issues.  That's been my recurring injury over the past decade or so that I've been running, although it's very seldom now when it starts to rear its ugly head and I recognize it right at the beginning so know what to do.

for me, my IT band pain was on the outside of my knee and was real painful when trying to walk down stairs (and while running of course).  I went to my chiro who specializes in sports injury/rehab and it did a form of ART therapy on it to break down the IT band and then we worked on stretches/poses to gain some elasticity (for lack of a better of term).  My IT band was tight and rubbing on the bursa on the outside of my knee - that's what was causing the pain.  A variety of things contribute to it - things from incorrect shoes for your gait, muscle imbalance (the big one), lack of flexibility, overuse.   I also did a course of PT and the PT noted I had weakened smaller muscles - like adductors, abductors, etc. and so when those muscles quickly fatigued, it was stressing other muscles by having to overcompensate and thereby causing the IT pain.

Unfortunately, the best cure for IT pain is to completely take a break from running and work on those issues - whether that is PT, stretches, weight training for those smaller muscles, etc. Years ago when I my IT pain was at it worst, I could not run more than 3-4 miles w/o the pain and now I can run 25 or more, so there definitely is a light at the end of the tunnel and it is an injury that can be healed.

and I'll just add that for maintenance and to minimize recurrences - I stretch, foam roll, don't increase mileage too quickly (try to follow the 10% rule). 

I know there are some others that have had IT band issues and they may have more to add.

Tammy

Joe618

Bill, some good input above from Tammy, with which I'd concur.

I was debilitated for several weeks about seven years ago with ITB pain.   Root cause was rapid mileage build up and old shoes, I came to realize later.

I went back to ground level, literally, and had a careful gait analysis and switched shoe models.   I then paid a lot of attention to foam rolling my entire ITB, from the outside of the knee all the way up to it's insertion point above my hip.   Over time, I learned to really feel the entire length of the ITB and the rolling seems to keep it more supple and (to my untrained senses) keep any scar tissue from forming.

Stretching before I run hard is also wise, though I don't always do that.

When it was really bad, I also packed ice on it...15 minutes at a time, for up to 7 to 10 times a day.   You really can't be too aggressive with ice and it does no harm.

Hope this helps a bit.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

mrrun

Good suggestions above - I'd add clamshells with a band and also make sure the pain source is not in the piriformis

good luck!

an amazing likeness

I'll add road camber to Joe's shoes and mileage.  If the vast majority of your time is on cambered roads, and always running facing traffic, the left leg takes the resulting side load constantly on the outside of the hip and down the ITB to knee.

Also, you must absolutely, positively stop a workout when IT band pain starts. Full stop. Walk it home.  Once you restart that irritation of the tissues, you're doomed to a setback.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Joe618

I'll add road camber to Joe's shoes and mileage.  If the vast majority of your time is on cambered roads, and always running facing traffic, the left leg takes the resulting side load constantly on the outside of the hip and down the ITB to knee.

Also, you must absolutely, positively stop a workout when IT band pain starts. Full stop. Walk it home.  Once you restart that irritation of the tissues, you're doomed to a setback.

Fully support milktruck's comments!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

..I've been doing this one daily for about 4-years,

works great

and also loosens the lower back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbyJlxY79Is

goto 1:15

for the Standing Wall Version

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....