Masters Running

Thu Sep 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 791 times)

It turns out Columbia South Carolina is a rather hilly place!
    Twocat, you are amazingly strong. I have run in Columbia, South Carolina only once in my life. In the early '80s my girlfriend and I were there for a few days visiting her family. Her father was a professor at the university there. Despite his Ph.D. he was not what you would call enlightened about racial issues. He told me a few racial jokes about black people to show me he was a cool and funny guy, and then he took me running through town to show me he was fit. During our run, which was at a fast pace, he tripped on a root and literally flew through the air for a short distance till he came to rest abruptly on his belly on the sidewalk. A poorly dressed black man happened to be lounging nearby, and exclaimed, "Wow! You oughta be on 'That's Incredible!'" This remark, and its source, put my girlfriend's father in a bad mood for the rest of the run. In fairness to the man whom I once expected to be my father-in-law, he was typical in some ways of his time and place. My girlfriend had a summer job in Columbia as a waitress, and one day she asked her boss why all the dishwashers were black and all the waiters were white. Her boss replied, "The dark meat stays in the kitchen." Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      Short gym workout, almost an afterthought: 100 situps, 30 squats, 30 leg curls, 30 leg extensions, 1 mile on the elliptical. Tonight was Parents' Night at the high school where I teach one class a day, so I had to drive an hour round trip to speak for 10 minutes to the parents of my Latin students. No problem: I love talking to a group, I love talking about Latin, and after the latest expensive repair to my car, I love driving my Mercedes again. For a guy who earns $200 a week and nothing during school vacations, I have a great ride. Of course the first thing on the parents' mind was, "What happened to Miss Durkin?" who had been teaching Latin since God was a carpenter. I said, "Well, you know what Donald Rumsfeld said: you go to war with the army you have, not the army you wish you had." They laughed and after that I had them in the palm of my hand. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
        hi deb -- same avatar - that's me -- still at least 10lbs heavier than i should be!! still no running for me except for at work -- we had a horribly busy night last night and my back was in agony -- already taking motrin here tonight but have 3 off after this so hopefully i can take care of me!! nice runs out there -- happy almost weekend!!

denise

If many people still hold those beliefs DH they have learned to keep them quiet. So far everybody, black, white, and Asian that I have met has been terrific! In a trivial example, I went into a burger chain for a post run hamburger. I asked for it without cheese or mayonnaise. It came back with mayo. The person who took the order apologized profusely took it back to get me one "done right" and then brought it to my table along with additional apologies. I was so impressed I did something I have never done at a fast food chain and that was give her a tip on my way out. I have had the pleasure of coming down to the south east a few times in the last few years and have always admired how sweet and helpful the people have been down here. A lot of "enlightened" northerners I know could come down here for a lesson. But, then I imagine if I spent more time down here I would find people that are just as bad as the occasional jerk I see in the northeast. I also want to add that you are right to see that people are products of their time and I must say I admire you for examining your almost FIL in that light. That is not easy to do.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

my first post of the day was stupid, so I'll follow that up with another stupid one. "potium AD"
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              As a Canadian...it sounds just about right. To me, a hoser is anyone with a lumberjacket on, says "beer me" when wanting another brewski and says "F###ing A" a lot (that means "really good eh?"). That is about 95% of the population. Sigh...I miss my igloo.
              I am so totally offended...my lumberjacket is quite nice although old but I work hard. I do drink a lot of beer and say beer me and say F.......... al ot but I do not sleep in an iglloo. At least until I win half my igloo back from my wife...Right now she sleeps in it. Tall the crazy lumberjacket beer swilling igloo needing Canadian.

Recent Best times: None recently

Mariposai

Ok...enkie...it is time for tough love for you dearest one....NO MORE RUNNING for you young girl until we find out what is the problem with that foot. I am going to fine you a glass of merlot for every time you go out to run while the foot is healing. Cool Just got back from the lovely city of Coeur d'lane. As planned this was a rest day for my body, but my intellect was sure challenged all day. I so adore and admire that Aamos!!!! I can't wait to meet her someday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard