Masters Running

MLK Monday, 1.16.17 (Read 39 times)

Tramps

Would love to see a Super Bowl with the Pats and the Packers.

+1

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

Hey. It's been a week or two since posting here I think. I am still on track to get to and finish the Tallahassee half in 20 days.  11 straight weeks of sticking to my workout plan of runs and gym stuff.

I've been fighting a bit of gloomy feelings. I don't know if it is S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder), C.O.M.S. (crotchety old man syndrome) or just a combination of miscellaneous factors - another new year, another birthday, and a let down after 4 months of madness at work. We met our goal and all I got was a 1-line email stating the goal was met.  I expected a party or a bonus or something. At least a pizza lunch.

Whatever the cause, it is hard to concentrate on anything but old Masterpiece Theater shows on NetFlix and Amazon Prime. 

The good side of it is that it forced me to carefully work on one thing at a time at work and I have been finishing up some important projects that needed to be done.  I just tune out most the interruptions. I hope to keep up that work pattern going forward since it greatly reduces the stress of trying to address multiple things at once.

As for football, the Falcons are fun to watch. I'd like to see them go to and win the Super Bowl.

-35° is crazy.

The climate is much milder here in WV than it was in Michigan.  Even more this year than last.  My last "long run" for my half will be a 12 miler this weekend and it is going to be in the upper 50's.  You can't beat that.  (It was 19° for my 11 miler so it hasn't all been wine and roses.)

I am not sure if I broke my running streak or not...depends on the rules.  I guess if you say walking at least a mile a day, then I am still good.  Running at least a mile a day, did not happen this weekend.  I went to the cabin, and the snow was more iced over than I expected.  And to think I almost bought a pair of Yaktrax at Costco last week!  I sure could have used them.  I did a short walk with my dog instead, then came back to the cabin, and ran inside for 5 minutes, going up and down the stairs too.  Small place, hard to run, but I wanted to keep the streak alive!

Yesterday I did a short walk with the dog.  Then came back and got into the hottub.  And here is where I tell you the cougar story.

I was in the hot tub for only 5 or 10 minutes, facing the cabin, when I noticed a shadow moving around.  I thought at first it was my dog - inside the cabin, walking under the kitchen table, but it didn't look right, and besides, I could see him still sleeping right inside the patio doors.  Then I thought - oh, what is it then?  I realized something was on the deck, the rump was higher than the shoulders, so for few stupid seconds I thought it must be the biggest mother of a raccoon I'd ever seen and I started to prepare for a nasty altercation.  Then I realized, no, it's much bigger than a raccoon - this shadow reflecting in the windows, and it started to walk silently towards me.  The fear that overtook me when I realized it was a cougar was indescribable.  I knew I would have to stop it from coming any closer.  It couldn't see me in the hot tub because the spa cover and a picnic table were in the way.  Raccoons live under the deck, right near the hot tub, and she most surely was tracking their scent (mine too?), stalking, walking so quietly DIRECTLY TOWARDS ME.  I stood up suddenly, locked eyes with the cougar who was now under the picnic table near the hot tub, she was only 7 feet away and I yelled "Go!".  She didn't move.  I yelled louder "Go, get out of here!"  At this point my dog woke up and started barking at the patio windows, and that sealed it for her - she leapt over a bush and down the hill.  I got out and ran into the house, shaking of course.

I surprised her.  She was afraid, but also in those few seconds, she was taking it all in, assessing the situation.  I may have been the closest she has ever come to looking directly at a human.  Very few things in my life have terrified me as much as that encounter did.  7 feet away - that is like sitting on either end of a dining table.  Pass the salt please?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yikes, Enke!  That's way too close for comfort. And don't worry about the streak- rest days are important too!

I ran 11 miles today in the Sonoran Desert Natl Monument, where we camped last night. I love the wide open spaces and free camping in the western US. Oh, should I mention I ran in shorts and singlet?

ETA:  Dave, sorry you didn't at least get an attaboy for finishing your project!  And I like your acronym COMS - I think my DH suffers from that sometimes!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - wow, scary!  And I am not a believer in streaks, anyway.  I think you need to have rest days or cross-training days to change things up.  Just my opinion....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...Pre-Blah-Blah-Blah Alert...

yep,

The Packers have always been a Favorite

=======

and Sorry erika, 72-degrees here today

40-min HH On GreenWay

and

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris, paw

...................good running guys.........and blah-blah-blah

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

flats

turtle runner eximious

I got in almost 6 TM miles. Good start to the week.

I watched all the games over the weekend.  It was fun watching all those great teams do battle.

Michael

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I will spare you all from telling you of all the pain and suffering I have endured over my lifetime of being a Vikings fan...believe me, I could write a book...and it has only gotten worse as I endure the success of the team from the neighboring state...which, many years ago, was my second favorite team...

Anyway...hey Dave--did you know that you're not alone with your gloomy feelings?  I heard on the news, that today is "Blue Monday"!  So--Happy Blue Monday to you!  Happy Blue Monday to you!  Happy Blue Monday dear Davey!  Happy Blue Monday to you!  Sorry--I'm not of a singer...but I am in the church choir.

So, I did my first speed workout since last July!  I backed it off a few notches...and it was on the treadmill...but I got though it fairly comfortably.  I did 12 x 1/4 miles in 1:39 with a 1/4 mile rest between each.  With a 1.5 mile warm up and a 1.75 mile cool down, I ended up with 9 miles....which is the longest I've run since Portland.

Okay--that's about all I've got.  See ya!

By the way, Dave--has anybody every called you Davey?

evanflein

Yikes, Enke, that's too close. Beautiful animals, but I wouldn't want to be lunch! Glad it all ended well. And I agree with Holly that "streaks" are over-rated.

tomwhite, that's ok, I'm used to it. Like I said earlier, I choose to live here so there ya go.

Dave, that kinda sucks, especially for a private sector company. In public sector, of course there are no "bonuses" at end of year or whatever, you just get to keep your job. But private sector should recognize extra effort and goal attainment. And I like your crotchety old man thing.

We have no state teams, just college sports. Most Alaskans are from somewhere else, and bring their team alliances with them. But a lot of us who are here from childhood either don't care <raises hand> or defaults to the Seahawks. I really don't care one way or the other.

It warmed up a bit today, so the high was something like -12° which feels much (much) warmer than -35°, but we got snow today and some wind, which is unusual and unwanted (up to 7" by tomorrow morning). So... I did get out in the truck to go shopping, and it was amazing how the light with the overcast made it really hard to see any contrast or definition. Passed a couple of cars in the ditch; looks like they just got off the edge a little bit too much. Yikes. Once I made it home, I stayed there. Ran 6.3 on the treadmill while I had some lamb shanks simmering away on the stove. Dinner was awesome, with mashed Yukon Gold potatoes from my garden (they're holding up well in the garage).

TammyinGP

Very scary Enke! I guess when I read the story on FB, I missed the part about you being in the hottub. i thought you saw the cougar through the glass of the sliding glass doors, but from inside. I should have read that more carefully.

6.5 miles for me today. back to work tomorrow. and for the first time in over 2 wks, I can actually drive my own car!   ahhh, it's the little things.

Tammy

SteveP

Steve - that's Tag, but who is the other dog?

That's  DD#1's pooch, Mia. She's a bundle of energy with poor manners. While I was trying to run on snowshoes, she'd often step on the back of them.

Coastwalker, that sounds perfect.

Holly, that meeting sounds dreadful.

Henrun, that sounds like a happy 4.

Nice 5, Stumpy.

Dave, sorry to hear about the SAD or COMS.

Holy Yikes Enke!!!

<<<<<rant on>>>>>

Though DW and I work for the same company, we often don't car pool because of my late nights. Sunday, she spent the night at DD#2's house so she and SIL can have a romantic night out. The guy's in his early 30's. He hasn't cleared their driveway all winter. It's about 30'. DD#2 gave birth to Josie two months ago. She used to keep it clean prior. When DW was leaving, her car slipped into a rut in the drive and next thing she knew, her exhaust was dragging.

I offered up an opinion that mentioned how he has time to have buddies over to play video games and can go to various sportsmen shows. Now we have a car repair because of his "lazy ass". DD#2 is mad at me and DW is giving me the silent treatment. SIL...I'm not concerned as much (he asked permission to marry DD#2 via text). DD#3 picked up the car and dropped it at the mechanic's. That;s OK. I could fix it, however, the floor of the garage is a mess from winter and even with ramps, I have a hard time getting under DW's car.

deep breaths

<<<<<rant off>>>>>

deep breaths

3 miles with the pooch.

SteveP