Masters Running

An Explosive Situation (Read 400 times)

For all you long distance runners out there - or anybody else with this problem when running, I'm just gonna lay it all out there . . . Gaseous build up in the intestines during long runs. It's killing me! I ran a trail marathon on Sunday, and by Mile 20 or so, the pressure in my lower intestines was very uncomfortable and made it difficult to take in fluids and nutrition. By the time I got back to my hotel room, my stomach was actually distended and more than mildly firm to the touch. I have the . . . well, okay, . . . diarrhea under control with Imodium. Now I just need to deal with the pressure. There wasn't any soda available at the aid stations or I would've sucked down some of that hoping to burp it away. Any suggestions??? Undecided

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

Toot! Let it out! The guy next to you did, I guarantee it.

TammyinGP

Do you always have this happen on long runs, or just this one in particular? And what did you eat prior to your run, or even for the 12 hrs or so prior to your run? I had a very large apple about 2 hrs before my run last night and really had bad low intestinal cramping. And I was only doing 5 miles! I also find that when I do longer runs in my "pre-pms" time frame, I have more intestinal cramping as well.

Tammy

Toot! Let it out!
          If I could, I would . . . happily! It usually takes a couple of hours afterward before I start getting some relief. I feel sorry for anybody around me. Big grin

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Do you always have this happen on long runs, or just this one in particular? And what did you eat prior to your run, or even for the 12 hrs or so prior to your run?
            It happens with all my long runs, especially anything over 3 hours, and it doesn't matter what I consume before. That morning I had a bagel w/peanut butter. For dinner I had chicken, taters, and veggies. Previous runs, the ole bagel and pasta for dinner. During the runs, I drink a mix of GU2O and maltodextrin and eat Clif bars. Unlike the rest of me Wink, I have a sensitive intestinal system. I have to use Imodium for any runs over 2.5 hours, and I have to watch what I consume or I get nauseous real easy. It sucks.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

Leslie, the only suggestion I have is maybe take a di-gel before your run? Are you swallowing air when you run? Be sure to reduce fiber intake a couple days pre-long run/marathon, that was suggested to me a couple years ago and really helped. But I normally eat a lot of fiber...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Maybe stomach but I've never heard of intestinal gases being able to be burped away so maybe try to get something that works in the opposite direction and just join the chorus of happy intestines along the way with everyone else that result from all the mega-nutrating before and during ultramarathons. It actually gets to be kind of funny at the starts of some of the long ones.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

xor

"long ones". Do you mean long races? Or heinously long toots?

Renee the dog

"long ones". Do you mean long races? Or heinously long toots?
                    OMG best line I've read in awhile! Big grin For me, I'm only managing to a 1/2 distance, but I find that lack of simple carbs -- just protein and fat the night before a race, works wonders. Don't know if it'll work for your consititution, but thought I'd mention it. (I do make sure to have an ample amount of carbs 2 nights before).

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I'm ready to give anything a try, 'cause a nice long toot would be a wonderful thing! Hey, I'm not shy! Bring on the expension of odiferous matter! It might actually make me run faster - you know, push me along the trail faster. . . . if I could somehow harness it and use it like rocket fuel . . . hmmmmm

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

SteveP

I'm ready to give anything a try, 'cause a nice long toot would be a wonderful thing! Hey, I'm not shy! Bring on the expension of odiferous matter! It might actually make me run faster - you know, push me along the trail faster. . . . if I could somehow harness it and use it like rocket fuel . . . hmmmmm
                        I wonder if that's how Superman does his thing. My runs over 10 miles go past public restrooms. http://www.riversideonline.com/health_reference/Disease-Conditions/DS00080.cfm

SteveP

Thanks for the link, Steve. May try a few over-the-counter remedies on a trial run. Will have to see what the interaction would be with Imodium. Shocked Maybe good, maybe very, very bad . . . especially for anybody else around me at the time. Big grin

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm no help. As my DW will attest, I have no problem, er, reducing pressure... Yes TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff