Masters Running

Sunday, November 23 Runs and What-Not (Read 516 times)

4 miles in sunny and 35 degrees. IRC ! I could have easily stretched that out for few more and made it a sorta long run but I am trying to come back slowly and since I have no immediate plans for any races there is no reason to push it. I always thought I would get a 26.2 tattoo after I finally did a marathon but after I actually did one the urge kind of left me. With me it will probably be one of those spur of the moment things. Just drop in and get it done. WRFB that is a nice one though. Are those hopps wrapped around it? Just watched a Ironman on VS. tv. That is a wild really out there fantasy of mine. I love watching them though. It always amazes me when some 75 year old person still can finish one of those! Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg.

DickyG, you can have some of my HR. deal? cool. Tramps, did you fall off of anything? I need to clean the gutters but am wimping out because last time I had one of those heart stopping moments when I stepped from the roof onto the ladder. didn't fall, but it was a possibility. there's no rush, is there? enke... yuck. "I went from zero to 40 in one week without being able to stretch properly, so I am really pushing my luck." you think???? Roll eyes Nancy, thank you for taking time to post. I've been wondering about you. hugs to you and to your whole family. today was pretty good. 8F when I started! Erika, I thought of you & did not whine. much. At least it wasn't windy till later. & it was so beautiful out there. Lots of swans trumpeting today. a mile w/u c/d walk. 8:48 miles, 9:48 average pace 8:08 max, 169 ahr, 188 max. I did walk over the snowy icy bridges, & stopped the clock for that. also for a water stop. shins hurt for the first mile then stopped, piriformis just for the last 2. so much better. Smile then to the gym, 25:15 min. on the elliptical, 13:02 on the bike, and all the stability ball exercises. no russian twists so I guess not all. I was tired & had a decided lack of enthusiasm for phase 2 today. came home & had pizza and a cold IPA from Lancaster County PA.. decided that's a very good way to ease into the rest of the day. PDR, I had to do the same thing. But it was a nice day for it. I'm still not done. I hate cutting back perennials while they're still green. I worked until my assorted parts asked me nicely to stop.
      munchkn883

I admire all of you so much. No matter what you all are out pounding the pavement getting in your miles. I just want to get back to walking a few times a week, but just keep finding excuses. I'm walking tomorrow with one of my friends.
          Legs sore from yesterday's intervals,so just 5 easy this morning... Nice tattoos...I'm still looking for a design...something like the KR logo... Munch-We love you!!!
          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            I will get a tattoo when the sun cools to a hard black cinder. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So not for a couple of years yet? Happy Sunday Evening. i was out for a nice run this morning, but DD has had both computers tied up doing college apps and everyone thought that was more important than posting a run. Go figure. She's looking at the LA schools, USC and UCLA are at the top of the list. Any grads that want to extol the virtues of their schools? I dod two loops around the lake today for 6.4 miles in just over 58 minutes. Longest run since Jan of this year, so I'm happy with that. 20 degrees with a little wind, but dressed just right, so was comfortable the whole way. I've informally committed to running a half this April that is sponsored by my BIL's company in Westfield, MA. so I sort of figure I should work my way up to that by then. May actually have to figure out how to get in more than 3 days a week. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Renee the dog

Won't it be too late then? Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

You think there'll still be any tattoo parlors open then? Big grin I have to agree - I've never had the slightest desire to get a tattoo - I just don't get the appeal. Mariposai, hugs to you and your family. It must be very special for your FIL to have you all there together. Those of you injured and doing pool running or cross training - hang in there! At least it's a good time of year to be in the gym. I haven't done a double-digit run for about a month now, and I thought today was the day. Well, sorry to report that I wimped out yet again. I took the dogs for 7 cold hilly miles, and once I dropped them off at home I had no energy to go back out. I'm not sure they're good for longer than that, and I live at the bottom of a big hill, so going out a second time is really hard. Maybe next weekend I should take them for just 3 or 4 miles, then I'd have some energy left for a second lap. Leaving them home isn't really an option - they have me too well trained!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

WRFB - love the new tattoo............Mary i can't see the pic of yours Sad i love tattoos - have a few actually and want another one -- thinking a dove to represent the holy spirit next - we'll see 5 miles out in the cold 28 degree weather today -- finally gathered up enough mojo to get out in the cold -- so not loving it tho ...........47:26 total time hope you all had a wonderful Sunday!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

I am the 24/7 caregiver for this week (we are taking turns). What an honor it is for me to be here with my in-laws in such a special moment in their lives.
                      You continue to be an inspiration to me, Mariposai! Announcement - if anyone received an e-mail from my Yahoo account about some shoppng site, I did NOT send it. My home computer has been scanned (tonight) and is virus-free, but something apparently got into my Yahoo account and sent out these advertisements, and somehow my address book there has now been deleted, hopefully by Yahoo eradicating whatever the problem was. At any rate, if you were a recipient, sorry.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Good evening: I spent most of the weekend in the Bronx, NYC at the Region I USTAF XC race. I coach the Youth (13-14) girls. Cold weekend, especially yesterday at the course walk. Brutal wind on the field. Very historic if a bit hilly course. My girls won New England and placed second today, just two point behind a strong Lakers team from Maine. So it is off to Nationals. The girls ran well; some were up, some not but we have good depth and an good team spirit. I am proud of them. As my non running amusement, the hotel in Tarrytown had very cool elliptical machines. TVs built in with earphones available. I set a PR on the elliptical, 13.1 miles, 1:24. You take your amusements where you can while injured! Yesterday I did a pretty strong 60 minutes on the local Y elliptical before heading out. Some crunches too. Maybe a thriller bike workout tomorrow. On my drive I listened to the Barack Obama "Dreams of My Father." It is pretty interesting, especially the parts about his father and family. Good luck to all running and injured.
                          I'm almost finished the heavy-duty writing for my grad class, so I'm officially declaring myself back in de-lurk mode. I'm in the "slightly over 7 miles" club with Craneium and nono today, but I'm sure it took me much longer than those two, especially given the forgotten gloves episode, the rush to the rest room episode, and the many re-tie the shoes because they still don't feel right episodes. Awesome to be out on the boardwalk on such a beautiful day, though, especially since after yesterday, today's temps in the high 30s felt like spring. Nono - lots o' boats off of OC this afternoon, too, all almost at the horizon. A friend of mine tells me the stripers are really running, although he has yet to put any in his new boat. I reminded him that they call it "fishing," not "catching." He was not amused. WRFB and hopeful - cool tatoos. I might even consider the runner girl one, if I ever do make it 26.2, but can't imagine choosing to have a needle stuck into me over and over and over. Shocked Hugs to mari, pdr, and anyone else dealing with ailing family members. This week is the anniversary of my dad's death 15 years ago and my mom's subsequent "not my boyfriend" friend's death last year, so things are a bit raw in the extended Eliz family. Trying to focus on how grateful I am to have had such a super dad and almost-step dad, and how glad I am that my mom had such terrific men in her life. enke - regarding TM guy, what can you say but "ewwwwwwwwwwe." That's way, way more gross than simply having a snotty nose. I think he needs to go outside and run; maybe it's cold enough that his, uh, fluids would freeze so he could lose the dixie cup? Kevin - whoo hoo on the long run. I managed 7.1 today, my longest since the week before school started. Going for 8 next weekend. Have a good week, everyone. Safe travels, good runs, sanity-preserving recoveries, and yummy turkey to all. Eliz Smile

flomotioncoaching.com

TammyinGP

Thank you very much for the birthday wishes everyone! I had a nice day, even if I did spend the better part of this afternoon raking and putting away outdoor furniture. But it was just too nice to stay indoors, so after my 3.5 mile trail run with my dogs, I did some outdoor cleaning up. Had a good run. Feet were still a little achy though. DH bought me a few running accessories, so I was happy with that. A headlamp and also a waist pack thingie to put items in when I go on long runs. Someday I WILL get back up to my long runs. Heck, I HAVE to now that I have a waist pack. Big grin Thanks again for the birthday wishes. I even indulged just a bit in a small piece of chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream. yummy! Blush

Tammy

evanflein

Congrats to Stumpy on his longest run since January! And hugs to all those going thru injuries of the spirit, heart and body. Seems to be a lot of us out there these days. Deb, don't feel like a wimp! I'm not running outside at all! Nice workout though. You amaze me that you do the runs and then the gym. Most of us do one or the other... Day #21 of no running. Hit the gym this afternoon for 30 minutes on stationary bike (9.67 miles...hard intervals!), 30 minutes of legs and core work (Lunges @ 40 lb, plie squats @ 25 lb, deadlifts @ 40 lb, plus 3 x 30 ball crunch, 3 x 15 reps cable rope crunch @ 130 lb, 2 x 10 back extensions w/ 20 lb), then 40 minutes of pool running, including about 15 minutes of pretty brisk intervals. It was a good workout, but it was not running. Maybe soon.

flatland mountaineer

I did 8 in a figure 8 around 2 sections (1 sq mile/section) half trail, half gravel road, longest in some time with harvest and achilles issues. Have to say it kicked my butt pretty good in what was an easy distance a few months ago. Kind of a raw day with strong N winds, but sure beat working. The Ft Collins half and full sounds like a neat race, finish in Old Town if I remember what MtnChick said as she did it last yr. Its one of my fave towns, spent lots of time there in college, I went to UW in Laramie but we were down there lots with college rodeos, watching ball games etc.. Unfortunately early May is planting time so no races until Bolder Boulder at the end of that month.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III