Masters Running

Stevie Ray Horatio Hornblower (Read 313 times)

xor

I generally don't blow my own horn.  Here I am blowing a horn.

On Sunday, I finished marathon+ultra #333.  I'm now officially retired from running 1-2 marathons every weekend.  Now I will sanely show up a few times a year. 

Why 333?  Well, I was going to retire at 250. Then 262 sounded fun (think about the distance of a marathon). Then 300 was for sure "IT". Then the president of the maniacs put the pressure on me to do a few more.  333 is the first of two requirements for entry into the club's hall of fame.  Oooo aaah.  Well, I couldn't turn down the president himself.  So I ran those 'few more'.

It makes me kind of uncomfortable to talk about this stuff. blah blah blah.

However, some folks asked me to put a bunch of random numbers together about the journey.  I spent a few hours on it... and I thought maybe some folks over here (who don't always venture out into the regular board) might be interested.

You will find these numbers on this page of my '300' thread.  I hope you find them interesting.

Apparently, there's a dude in Japan (by way of Walt Prescott in the states) who keeps track of "megamarathons".  My 333 ranks me as 211th in the world, all time.  I am also 45th in US all time.  Right behind... TomD!  And 14th in the maniacs.

Huh.

My horn is blown.

I should set up a kissing booth.

Not for you, Tet.

Mike E

MM #5615

and I thought maybe some folks over here (who don't always venture out into the regular board) might be interested. 

There's a regular board?

Congratulations srlopez!

wildchild

Carolyn

I should set up a kissing booth.

Not for you, Tet.

Big grin

Is it okay if I get in line at the kissing booth with all the other goddesses?  Congrats, Stevie Ray - enjoy your well-earned rest.  Hope to meet you at a race someday!  (Tunnel 2013?)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Pushing WildChild out of the way.......I'm first!

211th in the world, hmmm, the nerve of those others.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I generally don't blow my own horn.  Here I am blowing a horn.

You will find these numbers on this page of my '300' thread.  I hope you find them interesting.

Apparently, there's a dude in Japan (by way of Walt Prescott in the states) who keeps track of "megamarathons".  My 333 ranks me as 211th in the world, all time.  I am also 45th in US all time.  Right behind... TomD!  And 14th in the maniacs.

You snooze, you loose girls!!!

My butterfly wings were  there on his EPIC performance... he even talked to me as he passed me on his way to VICTORY!!!! Clown

so...I am first in line...

Thanks for sharing this thread with us here. Some of us just don't have the time to venture outside this little group! (BTW, your newest fan, my DH, is enjoying reading the 300 thread as we are speaking).

Horatio Hornblower, you are an inspiration to as ALL

Cheers!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Way to go, dude. Nicely done.

Bushrat Runner

Wow. Well done.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats and I have had the pleasure of meeting the guy in PINK.(he was not in pink Cry )

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Looks like that line for the kissing both is now around the corner. Congrats Stevie Ray on achieving what most of us can only dream about. Enjoy your "taper." Smile

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I hope you'll settle for a manly hug, but wow.  Just wow.  I knew there were a lot of marthons on your list, just had no idea how high on THE list you were.  I would say that you're more than entitled to blow your horn.  Since all my marathons have been lived vicariously, might as well enjoy the best.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Way to go SRL.

I appreciate your horn tootin. It's all very interesting and inspiring.

I'll leave the kissing lines to the ladies.  But I'd love to shake your hand someday.  I think I missed out on that opportunity at a couple of races; not knowing who you were then.  Maybe next time!  Well done, Stevie.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Superb! Congratulations and thanks so much for sharing this here.

Inspired and impressed.

Dove

The Dovenator

I really enjoyed reading about your journey to 333, thank you for taking the time to write it down and share.

I hope you don't retire completely, a marathon is not a marathon without a SRL sighting.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

#artbydmcbride

<getting in the back of the line at the kissing booth>  Blush

Runners run