Masters Running

Wednesday, 11.11.15 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

THANK YOU! to all our veterans who have given so much to keep our country free and safe.

LaT, I'm so sorry to learn that John's cancer has progressed. I hope he is accepted at the NIH, and that they can help. Meanwhile, do keep running and do keep your sanity. As Holly said that Slo says...

As Will Rogers said, "Everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it." Some things never change...

Seems that life is good in Enkeland!

Ribs, it is OK to commit errors in card games where major issues are hardly at stake - although sometimes winning or losing (or coming in 3rd) seems major at the time.

I was up at 3:30 this morning, but was still a good boy (arrrghhh!) and didn't go out for a workout. My glute/hammy are a lot better, but I'm giving them an extra few days because I really don't want to go through this all over again. So I read, showered, got the coffee going, and then got DW and the niece up so I can take them to the airport this morning. They aren't happy about getting so close to J o'clock.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

[[[[[LT]]]]

.............20-min Nordic Trak, trying to Catch a Cold, so indoors til after I go to this funeral

................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

LaT - I, too, will be praying for your hub, you, and your family.

I was up at 3:30 this morning, but was still a good boy (arrrghhh!) and didn't go out for a workout. My glute/hammy are a lot better, but I'm giving them an extra few days because I really don't want to go through this all over again.

Good for you, Jay!

Thank you to all our veterans for your service.  Know that you are very much appreciated.

Holly - I'm not sure I'd run the race, but if things work out, I'd love to go up and cheer everyone on!  My buddy, Karen, lives in Portland, so it'd a double-whammy.  And I've been wanting to meet you, too.

40 min of stat biking this a.m. with about 6 min of progressively harder pedaling in the middle.  My butt is saying, "Whoa, lady!  I ain't been on this bike for awhile!"

Enjoy Hump Day ~

MTA: I just started going through our photos last night.  Here a couple that turned out halfway decent.  The fish is a Tigerfish, which is THE fish to catch in the Zambezi River.  All four of us caught a fish that day, which never happens, and I caught 2. (Yay, me!).  Three of the fish were 8 lbs., and Shorty's was 11 pounds.  I had so much fun that day!  Makes me want to go out and buy a new pole and start fishing again.

The second picture was taken from the boat and was our first real big sighting of elephants.  Shorty and I were so excited!  There were elephants all over, hippos in the water, cape buffalo, tons of bird life - it was a really neat day.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi Jay! I have been up at 4 the past two mornings. I may have to seriously consider running before dawn since I wake up anyway. I am fortunate to have the day off for Veterans Day. Thank you to all who have served and are serving our country. Remembering  those who lost their lives is truly important. Our schools do a excellent job with a nice program. I may drive over to the cemetery to wander around the field of white crosses from the Civil War. The town of Worthington was not incorporated until 1872 but the pioneer settlers had a large number of soldiers from this county.

Here is a link to the. Beautiful New England, although not all taken with a drone. From Houzz TV

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/56271706/video/houzz-tv-this-drone-video-of-autumn-in-new-england-will-lift-your-soul?utm_source=Houzz&utm_campaign=u2057&utm_medium=email&utm_content=gallery0

Of course I thought of Jay.n

Plans for my day are waiting for a delivery of Pecans to arrive from Georgia. I have been tracking them since last week. Of course the meetings I needed to take them to are in the past. Today is the "due date for delivery" and it does seem similar to waiting for a birth! I have orders taken, money collected and labels made so today will be delivering them.

I also plan to read up about marathon training and decide about that race in Portland. My co-worker will be out of town during that same time (Fri - Mon), so don't know how easy that will be to coordinate both of us being gone but Gretchen and the part time girl should be able to handle it. Do most people arrive on Saturday for a Sunday race or give yourself an extra day?

last night I delivered meals to a couple of families with newborns so got to hold the wee ones. The chili was from the freezer and apple crisp was hot out of the oven.

The wind is sure picking up today, 40-50 mph gusts expected and rain later on. I had a meeting to go to at 9 so decided to run the lake before that since I was up anyway. My foot is feels pretty good after the injection on Monday so maybe that is the answer. My time was a bit slower than Monday, but mostly pain free.

Just saw your pictures, Leslie. How cool is that! Good running everyone! I am off to my corner to practice my clarinet for the upcoming orchestra concert.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

King of PhotoShop

LaT, I think often of you and John and all you are going through.  He is handling it so well in the updates he posts. I hope the NIH phase will go well.

TW, I'm sorry for your loss.

No no Aamos, I didn't mean it BEAT you, only that you said it was tough.  You did well.

Leslie, nice picture of you and Shorty with that beautiful fish.

70 degrees, overcast and very humid this morning but I got in 8 slow miles. Slogged through it but it's done.  100 percent chance of a nap this afternoon.

I had occasion to watch Econo teach and she can hold a room, quite an interesting teacher.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Please keep us posted on your trip, LT, as best you and John can.  You know we all are with you in spirit.

Trying to be prudent, like Jay.  Doing some really boring glute ( can I just say "butt?") exercises to deal with the leaning issue I get later in races.  Doesn't hurt, but does slow you down!

Love those photos, Leslie.  Wow.

oh, and I am an awful trail runner; my former running chums in the Black Hills found me most amusing on the trails.  They took good care of me, just laughing while they did.

DH and I ran a 5K this am that benefits the wounded warrior project.  Retired General (Vietnam Vet, lost his leg) made some opening remarks.  Fantastic a Capella Star Spangled

Banner and lovely run (we had fog this am!!) thru FGCU (Dunk City).  Now we're going off to get some free coffee (he's a Vet) in those controversial red cups

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

LaT, my thoughts are with your husband and you.  fatozzig, I like the Zimbabwe pictures.  Feel free to post more.  Aamos, good for you and your husband running a 5K for the wounded warrior project.

This morning, it was in the mid 30s and almost calm.  I did 6 miles at an 11:09 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Leslie, nice picture of you and Shorty with that beautiful fish.

I'll let him know you think he got a nice tan while over there.

Aamos - Leaning issue?

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LaT, my thoughts are with you and your husband.  Hopefully he gets into the trial and there are some good results.

Leslie - gorgeous fish!  I am so jealous.  Shorty picked up quite the tan while there huh?  SR - you crack me up.

It was about 45F and damp, but the sun was uncharacteristically out.   I wore shorts, then remembered capris are perfect for these temps..  7.4 miles, but I get this ache/pain all along the inside of my left knee when running the uphills, so I walked about half of them, ie, I'd run halfway up and then walk the rest.  Feels like a tendon or something that goes from way below my knee to above it.

Going to make lentil soup and beet brownies later today.  The brownies are amazing, lower cal, and a sneaky way to get veggies into a person.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I'll let him know you think he got a nice tan while over there.

Starr - don't feel like you have to run the full marathon to join the party.  There's a HM too.

DD sprang a before-school detention on me this morning (something about holding a door shut when another child was trying to come in), so I had to cut my workout short.

3.6 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Starr - don't feel like you have to run the full marathon to join the party.  There's a HM too.

DD sprang a before-school detention on me this morning (something about holding a door shut when another child was trying to come in), so I had to cut my workout short.

3.6 miles on the TM.

Your DD is a little spitfire isn't she?

Yeah, I know that they have a half Holly. If I am ever going to say yes to a full marathon this might be it. Lots of fan support from you guys, and it is walker-friendly too.

It just came to mind during my run that my sister whom I never knew died on Veterans Day 62 years ago today. She was only 7 years old and had a rare blood disease, aplastic anemia. My sister, Becky was born the next November, then me 18 months after that when mom was 41.  We didn't really know our older brother and sister growing up since they were in high school when we were born.  It was like mom and dad raised two separate families. I wore my "Cancer Sucks" sockguy socks today in honor of My oldest sister, Mary, who died 5 years ago and would have been 75 tomorrow.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Cancer sucks. La Tortuga we are dedicating every run for your sweetie.  Please keep us posted.

Enkie, be careful with that knee. BTW, when are you bringing  Mr. BE to us so we can meet him?

Leslie,  gorgeous pictures.  So happywith you for taking this trip.  More pictures,  please.

16 milesfor me today. A lovely run. A hard run because of the terrain, bur I enjoyed every second of it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

I know adults do that and everyone laughs.

I've been able to count many blessings today. Thanks to our veterans.

SteveP

mariposai - this winter some time?  Cross country skiing or perhaps you, Easy Pacer and I could go for a run while BE cycles around your beautiful countryside?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."