Masters Running

Fridaily, 11.8.19 (Read 42 times)

No wonder it's so cold back East, and next week even colder. You guys sure have had a lot more weather issues than us recently.

SOURCE AccuWeather

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Joe618

Afternoon all!   Nice stuff all 'round.   Jay, good luck on the race!  Remember full well the two days before a major race and unending emails on top of all the other regular tasks.   Hope the weather is good for the HM. 

No running here today...will be out in that "Arctic Blast" for the Monumental Marathon in Indy tomorrow morning.  I've been in a lot colder...28F at the start and maybe 35 by the time I finish.  Up early and on the road by 4:30am to get a good parking spot in what is always a cramped downtown space.   Some 14,000+ runners for the full, HM and 5K.   I think this is the 6th or 7th time I've run this race...it's Indy's attempt to host a Real Live Big City Marathon.    And I can sleep at home, so I'm supportive.

No real goals for the race other than to finish comfortably.   A fun part of the event will be running through mile 7 with DS1 and GS1.   GS1's longest ever run.   I asked DS1 today how the lad was feeling and he said "nervously excited".   That's actually a healthy and good mood ahead of one's longest run ever.   Hoping it's a fun day for both of them.   I'll have pix. 

On my plane ride home late Wednesday night, it happened the young woman seated next to me was also traveling to Indy to run...I picked up on this when I saw her wearing one of the latest Garmin watches.   It will be her first ever marathon and so we had a wonderful conversation about planning, her training, details on the course and logistics.   She was also a native of Nebraska, as am I, so quite a pair of connections that makes for a small Venn Diagram overlap...marathoners born in Nebraska. 

Enjoy your Friday evening all and the weekend!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

anneb

Good luck on the marathon, Joe! Those temps don't sound too bad really... especially if the winds are light (or non-existent )

Anne

Good luck, Joe!  I've never run it but heard it is a great race!   Stay warm.  good luck to your grandson, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Surly Bill, that map explains why it was so nice here today, when all of you are complaining about cold!  I ran in a tee shirt and it was 60 degrees!  Well, actually I walked fast - I met a group of Dirt Divas for 5 trail miles, and we mostly stayed together, even though they were running, because they stopped at all trail junctions, and because there was a lot of ice in the woods which slowed them down a lot.

Joe, have fun at the marathon!  Cool that you have 3 generations running together!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hey friends - still no running here trying to rest the Achilles

Yesterday did Body Pump without the right leg lunges, 5 minute rower and the arc trainor where I found if I shorten my stride it feels better on the achilles.

Today 15.2 miles on my indoor bike trainor, core

Joe - have a couple of friends out there for Monumental - one doing the full, the other the half - have a great race!!

Holly - careful with that shoulder

Jay - someday I will get back up there to the Seacoast Half!!

I've been working on retreat stuff the last couple of days. Trying to finalize the schedule which is pretty much a format we follow with a few little tweaks - still time consuming and I kept letting myself get distracted today so it took way longer than it should.

Heading to Stowe, VT tomorrow for an overnight for dh's 60th birthday!! Looking forward to getting away for a night.

denise

Enjoy your getaway, deez.

1.6 treadmill miles after I got home.   We announced the Flex Time and Dress for your Day stuff today at our big quarterly meeting.  Later I suggested to some folks in accounting that we should all wear pajamas on Monday and see how it flies.  They thought (jokingly) that the company's employment lawyer suggesting that was probably not the best thing!

In the picture mode, here is a neat shot I took when I got home from work from my back deck.  It's not the Caribbean, but I'll take it!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

5 fartlek miles

A 20-something appeared behind me after a few miles, and I guess they wanted to pace off of me. Whenever I checked, they were 5-10 seconds back. I eased up a bit and thought they'd pass me and I could comfortably continue to run on my own (I don't like to run with people). Nope, they stayed there. I got tired of it and did that trick where you go around a corner where they can't see you until they get there, and do a jump surge. 10 seconds back and, SURPRISE, now 20 seconds back and going 2:00/mile slower! I did that twice and they stopped trying to keep up.

It felt cold here in the low 60's. I almost wished I'd worn a LS shirt but it was fine after I warmed up. Forecast shows mid 70's coming up.

Good luck Joe! Sounds like you are already riding the luck wave with your flight experience. You too, Jay!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 I understood more than one day of sunshine in Seattle was not permitted. Are you sure you are there?

I'm pretty sure the now eight straight November days of 5-10F above normal in the sun sine precipitation are a record but all things come to an end at last and the clouds are due back over tonight with, at least, some precipitation on Saturday so took the long way back over the new floating bridge via the north end of town by the UW for third time this week for another 19-miler but, thinking of tramps's 20-milers at the drop of a hat like a walk in the park went the long way around the local park for 20.5 miles, . . . . and am exhausted.  Hope I can stay awake long enough for Father Brown but I'll miss Jeopardy if it's delayed by a college football game. Sweet dreams.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ps Joe - do not wear regular running gloves.

Get winter ski gloves.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, cooler here; and now that I'm home, much cooler here.

Joe, good luck tomorrow!  Have a great race.

I got up pre-o'Jay o'clock and got in a bit over 3 miles before teaching the 0515 spin class.  Just before lunch I ran again, a bit over 4 miles.  After work drove home for the weekend.  Armistice Day...err, Veteran's Day on Monday so I'll get to stay a bit longer than usual.

Have a greta night and weekend everyone!

SteveP

Jay, the seacoast half sounds nice.

Dave59, you live dangerously.

Loving the Maggie miles.

Surly Bill, we're in the 10 - 20 degrees below normal.The foot of snow we got looks like  it's going to be here for a while. Nice trick for ditching a pacer.

Good luck Joe.

I got three on the treadmill.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

A 20-something appeared behind me after a few miles, and I guess they wanted to pace off of me. Whenever I checked, they were 5-10 seconds back.

They?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Marathon Maniac #957

Who knew?  I learn something new every day....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."