Masters Running

Thursday, August 12 Runs and stuff...... (Read 551 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I have been known to put a soft icepack on the top of my head to deal with hot flashes.

I need one of those now ..... and I do mean NOW!!!   I don't have anything else I can take off at work! 

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hi Guys and Girlie's,

Yes Carolyn....I have been lurking (makes me feel like a perv ) Holly questioned me about that a little while back, and I told Her.........when I get a little - or really bummed out, I have a tendency to hibernate and isolate myself from people and stuff (bad I know) But my job situation is soooo bizarre, I don't know what to think, or do. 8 freaking months ago I accepted this new job - 6 months of it I have been paid my regular salary - and it's still not even close to being open yet. Even the littlest thing may take the owners weeks or months to take care of.....just got my AC turned on in my office after waiting 3 months....been waiting for an air compressor for about two months....and I asked for a printer for my new computer roughly 3 weeks ago (still no printer) You may say..................WOW, what a Gig, like all my friends say. But really....really, whats this job going to be like - if it ever opens with no support, and with owners that procrastinate like they have. And again, have paid me 6 months salary, and I really haven't worked very much (but have done everything they have asked from me)

Soooo, I am in a quandary on what to do - stick with this new / weird job proposal....or look else where (actually, I have kept my eyes open for a other jobs) But I just kinda stick to myself when I go through things, but have been working on that lately and trying to open up more, and quit isolating myself from people who care. Maybe this describes things better.......I feel by myself when I see - or read about people who seem to be happy, and have it all together. Kinda like being single, and seeing 'happy" couples together having fun and enjoying life together (when me, or other single people want to enjoy that too sometime)

.... aren't Ya glad you asked Carolyn....

I have to say since my painful accident with my knee, today is the first day in two weeks it really doesn't hurt (and off pain Meds). I had this bright idea to Cycle with my Cycling Club last Saturday. It was 73 of the most painful miles of my life.....decided after that, that I must wait for my knee to heal up before getting back with it (but thought cycling would be ok at the time). Will try Cycling again this weekend, and suppose running is right around the corner. I have been 'pretty' patient, but I'm..... READY TO RUN AND TRAIN AGAIN, no matter how hot it is here. Funny, after only a few weeks, it's seems like forever since my last run.

Sitting outside a Starbucks drinking a iced coffee drinky with my lap top - TimBo (hehe, and getting paid to do so....shhhhh)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

I seem to be moving out of that stage, thankfully. Haven't had a good powersurge at work in quite some time and the night sweats have really tapered off. Whew! (for now, at least)

Sheet running... heh.

Aamos, I've seen that video before and it truly is incredible. You have to have a dog that is both smart and loves to perform to pull that off.

Is Mary having fRoggy runs these days? As in croak croak? Or foggy ...? Both? I'm confused.

DS2 is totally deflated. He failed his test. DH and I suspected he would... a little too much bravado and resistance to "coaching" (that's what we're calling it) on details like signaling while parking, don't stop in the crosswalk and things like that. He does a lot of driving during the week, but it's to and from work for the most part and pretty rural, low traffic stuff. He does drive in town some, but we really need to work on parallel parking, etc. I can reschedule him for a test for next week... another $15 fee, it's only money.

Wow, it's really smoky here today! Holly, the only reason I'm wishing for winter is to have an end to the fires. Usually by this time of year we've had a few days at least of total overcast, soaking steady rain over the whole valley. This year we've had mainly thunderstorms, which will dump huge amounts of rain in a few areas, unfortunately the areas on fire haven't gotten much (if any). We've had quite a bit of rain up in the hills, but that's about it. Just sprinkles and showers elsewhere. What we don't need is another low snowfall year like last winter. Our first wildfire was actually a hold over from last summer... they smoulder away in the peat moss under the snow and flare up again in spring, especially such a hot dry May like we had.

Smoke or not... I'm planning on a trail run at lunch. Got a long meeting this afternoon and need to be mentally prepared for it...

ETA: Hey Timbo! Glad to see you checking in. And as for the seclusion stuff, knock that crap off already!

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg - try taping it to the next toe maybe...

Erika - I can hardly believe that a fire can smolder through one of YOUR winters - wow!

Timbo - 73 miles.... after what your knee went through so recently?  I'm getting the duct tape.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sorry Erica - It was extremely foggy outside ..... when DD was little she always said it was froggy out and that just has stuck with me.   I forget other's don't know the inside story of everything!     DS probably learned a good lesson failing the first time around.   $15 isn't too bad, it is a lot more than that around here.   I was also surprised that in Driver's Ed they no longer taught parrallel parking - leaving it up to the parents to teach.   Our garbage cans took quite a pounding that year!!  Big grin 

Good to see you stop in and update us Tim.   I can understand your frustrations with the "job" now that you've explained it more.   Definitely some concerns to think about.   In the meantime, just keep looking.   And stay off of that knee!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Happy Birthday Stumpy!  The ferrets everywhere are rejoicing (you are still older than I am by the way  )

Ouch Enke! No hat trick now, okay?!

10.3 miles this morning at 5:00 am with 5 of those in tempo fashion. 

Thanks for all the well wishes folks, appreciate it. Lots of birthdays and anniversaries lining up for the next weeks. Next up is the kiddo who will turn 14 next week, then it's the 20th anniversary of my 26th birthday, and then, and then....

Hi dg!  (waving happily)  (((dg's broken or sore bits)))

Congrats, Enke!  On the paper, that is, plus bonus points for a gruesome owie.

[trying to avoid twocat's annoyed look, because I was supposed to work on a research project while in China and didn't get to it]

I'm totally excited about MaEcono's/Woods Lady's upcoming 4.4-miler on Saturday.  She's back and in fine form!  Now if I can just get her to run and not overintellectualize about hip, foot, neck, back, etc. etc. etc. placement, she'll do just fine.  And she has her gumdrops all ready to go for the race (If I ask nicely, could I have one?).

It's supposed to be 95 that day, so I hope it warms up verrrry slowly.

SteveP

0.7 jogging miles for me this morning.  3 total miles covered if you add in the walking.

I did some "spinning" last night.  I was outside with my granddaughter (2.5 yrs) and I would hold her wrists and spin around and around until we both couldn't stand up.  Oh my, was I getting sick there at the end, but it's so much fun to watch her stumble all over the yard like a drunken college kid.

We were outside waiting for the rain to arrive.  I told her I wanted to get wet.  She told me that she was going to get an umbrella, which she did, but she spent more time standing on it (with it upside down) and using the handle as a microphone to sing songs.  Mostly "Mary had a little lamb." 

So we both got soaking wet and came inside to the confused stares of my wife and daughter.  It's fun to be 2.

All of this is too kewl!

Hi Econo!!!!

Ever wrap up ice cubes in a bandana and then tie it around your neck?  After they melt, you take off the bandana and can use it as a sweat rag. 

grins,

A

No, but I've been hit in the head with a frozen banana

Burpy Hathday Stumpy!

Kewl Enke

Easy does DG

!

SteveP

Hope you had a ferreting grand birthday, Stumpy!
                    Masters 2000 miles
                    evanflein

Happy birthday to Stumpy! Hope it was ferret-free and lots of fun.

Seems like we don't do many birthday threads around here anymore?

6.4 hilly trail miles today, and at about mile 4.5 I landed on a root just "wrong" and twisted my foot... my bad foot. Great, I thought, but it turned out to be ok... so far. I'll keep an eye on it and watch for swelling, but so far so good. Just a good sharp reminder to pick up my feet and be careful how I place them!

Mariposai

Happy Birthday Stumpy...sorry we are getting so stingy with our birthday cakes around here (I am having a terribly time posting any picture here anymore.)

One hour of yoga took to to a delightful zen stage.

Erika, take care of that foot my dahlingggg.

Francesca, another 12h run wow!!!!

Go Woodslady gooooooooooo

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

kevin - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
                          george - i'm doing RTB too ...... our name is "are we there yet" ..... 12 women all running this for the 1st time - dont know my legs yet but cant wait!!

justin is scheduled to be d/c'd at 2p friday afternoon -- then will go to a local partial program for 2weeks -- basically day program from 9-3 mon-friday ....... thank you all for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey, twice in one day..........................

Happy Birthday Kevin...

Francesca is a Runnin' fool.............she takes MM status to a new level - WOW

Enke's knee looked kewl (sorry)

Belated Congrats Karin....and you have more all lined up I see...

Nice 12 miler Nono........and good luck with the MIL

There's some new one's around here, which is nice to see............do they know I am the forum idiot yet  (I don't like that clown character - scary) That reminds me of one time last year at a Cycling event. There was probably around 50 or 60 Cyclists, and we were all quickly introducing ourselves and saying our names. When it got to me I said.............my name is Tim, and I am the Club Idiot. LOL................all my Friends that know me cracked up BIG time because they expected it, then the others that didn't know me laughed once they felt it was OK.

Hey Holly, during my bike ride last Sat, my knee came un-taped (mean, my tape job came un-done) I bought some duct tape at a convenience store, and taped my knee back up the way my Doctor taught me...........still hurt like the dickens though.

Erika....hope it's nothing more than an annoyance....your foot that is. How is Peter's knee BTW....tell Him I said Hi

I had the longest speed walk ever tonight (felt like a workout again)....7.4 miles - 1:48:56 - 4.08 ave mph - 14:44 ave pace (that's pretty hard walking and tiresome). As I was getting closer to home I noticed my knee was feeling really good, so I thought I would "carefully" test the water out a bit - 1 mile of easy running after walking (Yippers) and 8 - 60 second barefoot striders....each one gradually faster till the last two were at fast tempo (Double Yippers) as my knee felt good, and the faster I ran the better it felt (faster is less time spent with feet on the ground) I then went to our swimming pool and frolicked around in the relaxing water, and gently stretched out my bad leg and knee. Then it was ice ice ice on the knee, and all feels good. I am not going to run again until next Monday or so, but guess I will Cycle long again Sat....but, I kinda think running will be easier than Cycling because of how high I have to lift my knee up peddling. My Doctor told me my main pain was a piece of cartilage that is under my knee cap, and He hoped it would work its self out. If not, I would have to have "minor" surgery, that I would recover from quickly if needed. Oh yeah.....it's nice to have a Friend Doctor. He drained the fluid off my knee 3 times, plus 2 steroid injections....and never charged me. He's been my Doctor since opening his practice out of College and Medical School, and he has never charged me once. But I return the favor and have repaired his - or his wifes vehicles for free too....nice trade off.

Well....that made my day. But no worries - I still need to be careful and listen to my knee....but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Wow! an Econo sighting!   

Yep, dg, I have been guilty of lurking  for a couple of months.  By now I am caught up on my log.  About your toe:   I have read about the importance of every toe to balance, and of course, balance is very important to running - particularly down hill.  I'd say get it looked at and make sure it gets proper care.  Your feet are important to you. BTW, Econo is running in the 10K race that is at the same time as the 4.4K, and she always comes in way, way ahead of me, and is there with water.

....did someone say Clowns??????

and that's just the top of 'im

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....