Masters Running

Tuesday 11/27/18 (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I will echo what Deez said, although we have know you are amazing for some time....

{{{Deez}}} - hang in there...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Look on the bright side Jay. You got extra zzz's - and at least it's rain and not snow.

There's no rule against running in the snow, so I'd say snow is better!

Tramps, you have an amazingly good attitude. Hope you can keep running at least a little!

Joe, happy to hear your dad broke the chain.  You're lucky - he must be a special kind of person.  Good luck with your winter Boston training!

Deez, I'm happy to hear Justin is doing better.  Are his girls living with you too?

I went for an ez 3 miles around the block in screw shoes.  It was 40 and sunny, and quite pleasant out. I wanted to go longer but DH needed my help with the brakes on the Sprinter.  Now off to do yoga.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Good for your Dad, Joe.  That's such a gift to all of you going forward.

1.5 treadmill miles in a rush after work and before heading to the Vandy game.  The injured young star is out for the season- which probably means no more Vandy time since he'll probably still go in the draft next spring.  We are all so sad but hope he recovers well.  He had meniscus surgery last night.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Legs felt a little tired today so an easy 4.3.

Happy running all!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

No run, today--just a quick light weight workout.

Tramps--I agree with the others about how you are handling this.  I don't know what I would do. I really don't think I could come in here and read about how everybody else is running.  I just hope you find something that you love to do...and keep coming in to tell us about it.

Leslie--I think murder would be justified in this case.

Shoot---there were a couple more comments I wanted to make...what the heck were they?  Oh, well...they were, probably, stupid ones, anyway.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Mike, I'm the same way, thinking of all sorts of comments to make and posts to quote, etc, etc, then the all run out my ears or something while I'm getting ready to post. Most of it's gone. BUT, I do want to add my congrats to Joe's dad for breaking that chain. There are some amazing people who come from incredibly broken homes. I don't know what the secret sauce is, but some people have it and succeed against some pretty bad odds.

Tet, my gloves froze because they were wet from me sweating. That's the worst thing about winter running: you dress to be warm but it's easy to overheat especially in the first half of your run. Then as it gets later and colder, and you get more tired you start to get chilled. At one point I had to pull my thumb into my mitt (out of the thumb part) and warm it up. Then it was ok after a bit. But when I took my gloves off, the liners were still frozen in spots to the outer cover. I think I finished that run just in time.

Deez, good to hear about Justin coming along. You're right to be concerned about the surgery and pain control. I'm sure you'll be talking to his doc about the risks there.

Dave, was it you who said earlier that it seems like your left knee takes a lot of abuse just getting out of the car? I agree. And actually I tweaked my knee pretty bad several years ago doing that: getting out of the car but grabbing a bag of groceries off the passenger seat and twisting out of the car, using my knee for leverage. Bad, bad thing to do.

Tramps, shorter runs are better than no runs, but I still know what you mean about running. I'd miss it terribly if I couldn't do it.

So, after a rest day yesterday (and yes, I've learned to look forward to and embrace tapering!) I got out for an easy 5.1 miles this afternoon, finishing just as the sun was setting (a little after 3 p.m.) so the timing was perfect. Hamstrings a little sore, but the last two miles felt much better than the first two, so there is that. Temps in the mid-teens were fine but I could've done without the breeze from the NW.

Joe618

Good for your Dad, Joe.  That's such a gift to all of you going forward.

He was, Karen and others, thanks for noting.   I'm so thankful and humbled because you don't pick your parents and I saw other relatives who are not nearly as fortunate.   He died in 1993, yet I think about him many times each day.   And I miss most hearing his laugh on the phone...he never was alive to follow my running...he'd surely have laughed heartily saying something like "You ran how far??  And ended up back in the same place??   And paid to do it???!!!!"   We'd have had a great time.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, very cold (for us) this morning so for some reason I just stayed under the covers when the alarm went off.  I was able to get in my run after work (we have a "friendly inspection," called a staff assistance visit going on this week).  It included 5 x 3 minutes at at least a 5k pace (actually faster based on my current fitness).  My fitness test is Saturday morning (although not if this throat gets much worse) so I did slightly less speed work.  The run portion is only 1.5 miles but I'd still like to have fresh legs.

Tramps, based on our conversation (with Mike) last year at the marathon....I still like your plan.  In addition to the cycling, I will humbly suggest spinning during the winter.  Find an instructor you like (that challenges you) and it will help make spring a bit easier when you get back to riding outside.

Joe, +1 on breaking the cycle.

Fattozig, situations like that I start looking for the nearest fighter base (ideally with a bombing range along a flight path where I am) then see if I have any friends in that unit.....

Mike, couple days late but did like the photo of your DS.

Have a greta night everyone!

BTY

Steve - thanks for the video <sniff> it was beautiful.

Mariposai

He was, Karen and others, thanks for noting.   I'm so thankful and humbled because you don't pick your parents and I saw other relatives who are not nearly as fortunate.   He died in 1993, yet I think about him many times each day.   And I miss most hearing his laugh on the phone...he never was alive to follow my running...he'd surely have laughed heartily saying something like "You ran how far??  And ended up back in the same place??   And paid to do it???!!!!"   We'd have had a great time.

My papa, who passed away two years ago almost to the date, never could understand my running addiction either. He also asked and was amazed that I would pay a high price to register for a marathon (which was a challenge for his paraguayan wage earner brain), but he also knew that running made me happy, so...he was one of my biggest cheerleader until the day he died.

Deez4boys, hugs to you my dear sistahh. Mental illness is a monster, as much as cancer or any other illness, but so often so misunderstood. Praying for our kiddo/

Tramps, carpe diem. Please don't stop posting here. We love your  posts and witty spirit. Mariposai hugs my dear friend.

Erika, enjoy your short taper!

Tetsujin, congrats on your amazing PR in the Seattle marathon. Now that this marathon has a new course, I may consider running it again int he future.

As for me, today I ran 5 miles, which included a mile up and over Kermel grade. Noon hour run felt delightful.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tramps - I second Jay's suggestion. I've been power walking (not up to Jay's RW speed) of 13-14 min miles (started with 16)

me too - couldn't have been happier Sunday's 14-15m/m for 26.2 or 'em,

. . . unless it's for marathons that give you that long to finish

(instead of the typical five hours in the early days,

with some of 'em even closing down at four hours). .

Tet, my gloves froze because they were wet from me sweating.c

Trying to think out-of-the-box (my box), that seemed to be about the only explanation but, except for the econo's famed second revenge Christmas Marathon in 2005 (where leslie's friend qualified for MM) at 28o, I've never run at below freezing and must never have skied hard enough in all the citizen x-c races from 10K-50K in those days to generate any perspiration, that's for sure.  However, I guess if it freezes, there's no water to get wet and hypothermia from, . . . or is there?

Tetsujin, congrats on your amazing PR in the Seattle marathon. Now that this marathon has a new course, I may consider running it again int he future.

With the long out-and-back along the Burke-Gilman,

to see/greet each other, you wouldn't even have

to wait for me ala 2007 at Bellingham and Seattle

that are still highlights where you pretended

to be tying your shoes, pit stops, etc.

to let me catch up for a while.

ps - kind of overwhelmed and thanks for all the cheering we do

for each other. I've sure never heard the word "amazing"

about my running but there's nobody else to tell who

understands running as much as we all do with each other.

Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)