Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 11.17.13 (Read 40 times)

Mike E, what you need to do, is start tilling your field to get it ready to plant your wheat seeds next spring, sheesh!

Roch, excellent race!!

Pace groups in a 10K....weird yet interesting.

Ran 5 Remi fartlek miles.  That dog always manages to find something to bring home, usually a bone.  The weather was sucky, very windy but not raining when I went out.  Woohoo, over 20 miles for the week!

Planning on making Mariposia's gnocchis tonight....using a masher first, then my hands when I have to.  Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hi La T!  How do you run home carrying groceries?

Tramps, how are you feeling today?

Norm, congrats to you and your speedy son!

We got 4" of snow overnight, and the drive down to Boulder for my XC race was pretty slick.  But it didn't snow in Boulder, and the race was fun, despite some pretty strong winds (Mike - reminded me of WY, with our race bibs flapping!)   I was on a team called Women Who Run the  World, which is a FB running group.  There were 7 women on my team, but because one was under 40, we had to compete in the women's open division instead of Masters, so we got our butts kicked.  Oh, well, I was just there to meet some other local runners and have fun.   And I wasn't last on my team!     After the race I ran another 10 miles on the Boulder Creek trail - I figured better to run in warm wind down in town instead of cold wind and snow at home.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Okay, Tammy--it's kid kickin' time.

Marathon Maniac #957

Roch - nice racing!

Wildchild - you too, even if the youngsters were fast today.

I meant to run further today, but decided to make a big breakfast for the family instead, with all those fattening items that are fried - bacon, potatoes, eggs.  Lots of leftovers will give DH and DS stuff to warm up for breakfast over the next few days.

5.4 miles on the TM to avoid the steady rain.

Then off to church, lunch, and shopping.  With DH along (he is a shopping addict), we managed to spend $160 at Walmart - how is that even possible?  Then Target and Shoe Dept trying to keep up with both kids' growth spurts.  (sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Funny, when we make a breakfast like that, there are not usually leftovers.

Little over 8 miles this morning and then finishing up the raking and then bought new pillows.  Can't remember the last time we got new pillows--they're getting a LITTLE flat.

Think I figured out a little bit on where my speed was coming from--strict hill avoidance.  Today was out into the greater world and not just the flat laps around the lake.  Ended up with 9:30, but still happy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Maniac 505

TomW,  RE: mounting a bicycle,  When I was in Victoria BC with my folding bike, I stopped at a bike shop for a map.  They wanted to see my bike.  She said she had a customer that loved to ride but couldn't get on a regular bike.  she wanted to see if mine might work.  The frame is much lower than standard. an option is to lower the seat down to the frame, walk over the seat, then raise the saddle.

Brompton folding bike

Tet,  RE running lights,  a few years ago there was a thread on the MM bulletin board for the best light for running.  Headlights were not the first choice because they were kind of like high beams in the fog.  The winner was a small hand held mufti level light that put out about 130 lumen for about $80  (That is what I carried for the ET midnight marathon)  lights have come so far,  you could probably get a similar multilevel 500 lumen light for probably the same price.  I could make some recommendations if you decided to take this route, but REI has a lot of quality options.

I worked on two boats today.  The first time that has ever happened I was just about to go home when dispatch called and asked if I could go to a different boat to cover for a Chief Engineer that had a family emergency.  Not a problem, but kind of different and the long day wiped out today's run.

Later, Dave

MM #7877

1st in my age group in the 10K today  (There were only 4 people) But I will take my first ever age group victory Big grin

Philippians 4:13.

evanflein

Nice job, unionblue... and hey I see you're planning on running the Turkey Trot in Holly's home town. Have you guys met before? I bet she's doing that race, too.

I bet that makes for a long day, Divechief. First time for everything, right? Re: lights, I have a couple of headlamps that are pretty good. The one I like best has a battery pack that fits on the back, on your head. At first I thought it'd be heavy and awkward but it isn't. Haven't used it in awhile, but I bet I will soon. Can't remember the name. Guess I should go dig it out one of these days.

Spent the day doing house stuff. Wish I had more time to do that. Feels so good to see the progress. DH made his awesome banana bread and molasses spice cookies. I swear he's trying to fatten me up. Smile  Nice to just hang around the house all day and get things done that I've been wanting to get done for a long time. Was thinking of running something like 12 miles today... on the treadmill... but I didn't make it past 7.2 and then I'd just had enough. That's fine, gets me over 40 miles for the week and these days that's about as much as I care to do.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks -

dave - I'm with you on the hand-held and have used them in the early morning darkness of the Carkeek 12-hour and through the tunnel too.  Maybe it's another age thing but, though it sounds silly, for all night running, it takes some concentration to be pointing the beam at the right places in the trail all the time to say nothing of getting tired of (probably more in the boring sense that physical) holding it all the time. e.g when you want to get snacks of the pockets, fanny pack, make a ziggy stop, etc.

erika - this sounds even sillier but the 200 lumen battery pack headlamp one that worked fine in the store, and the night before, and then decided to go on strike once it got dark in last year's Pigtails 100 pretty much needed two, well-coordinated, hands to remove/put on and secure and make comfortable, especially when it was raining and cold. Maybe it's time to take a rest stop when mental concentration slips so much that such a simple function requires any brain power at all but I think I'll check out the Black Friday prices for a light-weight hand-held and non-battery pack headlamp.  thanks.

ps - since we don't have any reflective snow down here, the lumens are probably more important than weight.  But 500 lumens!.  Wow.

pps - i bet you don't need a flashlight running in the full-moon snow or northern lights.

We used to do it with late night and even midnight skiing every possible chance.  lucky.

ppps - so what did remi bring back today?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)