Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 10.7.17 (Read 40 times)

Tramps

Just to clarify...I didn't mean to imply that running caused knee problems. I believe that research suggests it doesn't.  But as we age degenerative conditions (OA and, as in my case, meniscus tears) can be made worse by the high-impact nature of running; that's pretty clear.  And, by the way, I've also learned that when docs say "high impact' they're not talking about what I used to think they were talking about.  It's not hitting the ground per se that's the issue, it's the full running motion that puts torque force on your knee (and which is what you generally don't get from cycling, which more of a flat piston-like motion).

It's kind of a drag that I know this stuff now. I preferred to be a happy runner. 

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks jay.

However, for some really good comments, try being not only old but barefoot too.

After predicted rains for the last two weekends never materialized to end the summer drought, I awoke early this morning (make that regular early, not jay early) to the pitter-patter of rain on the roof for the first time in nearly four months thereby giving  some hope of finding out if I've been spoiled against the running in the rain that's marked most of my running over the past 40 years, . . . until I got out the door in the Portland Marathon shirt from the rainy 2015 reunion run down there only to find the moon bright in the western sky with the sun soon to rise from the east into blue sky again so seven moony-and-sunny miles.

ps Erika sorry for the rain predicted for you and holly, . . . unless it's a warm rain and you can enjoy it, . . . as only someone from Alaska can appreciate anything warm.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

catwhoorg

Labrat

I read that as "8 miles with 20 at tempo" which seriously blew my mind.

Yeah

NO!

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18