Masters Running

Thursday 9/27/18 (Read 42 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve – sure sounds like you work with some winners (not). I hope someday that company recognizes you for the good that you do there.

Jlynne – I like chicken pot pie..at least the crust part.

Tammy – Happy Anniversary!

TomWhite – wise move.

Okay – court update. We (DD, myself, and our attorney – someone from our law office doing us a favor bless his heart, filled the courtroom with the other juveniles and their parent(s).  We appeared to be the only family with an attorney.  The judge lectured the room, telling us that pleading guilty 1) would get you another court date to present your evidence, 2) “admitting” would get you penalties, but also the charge might be used against you later, and 3) “no contest” would mean you would still get the penalties but that the charges could not be used against you later.  Bizarrely, everyone that went before us admitted to the charges.  Does that make any sense?

Anyway, with 3 traffic offenses, it sounded like DD might get an automatic 1-year restricted license (only drive to work and school, no passengers), possibly with a remedial driving school, and of course, fines. However, when it came our turn, and the judge realized we had an attorney, he called him up to the sidebar, and basically said that if we come back for another court date with him, we could get one of the charges dropped (thereby reducing DD’s penalties).  So, we go back on 10/24.  Mark (our attorney), was happy to come back with us on the 24th to deal with this – such a nice guy.

My take – you all are correct – if you can, show up with an attorney. Plus the bailiff recognized me from when I worked for a juvenile court lawyer downtown, before my current job.

Oral surgery went well this morning, apparently, when they were finally able to find a vein.  I have poor veins to begin with, and with no water after midnight and low BP in the morning, it makes it hard for surgeries.  However, they found it, placed the implant, did a little more bone grafting, and sent me home with DH.  A little groggy for most of the day, but I am only in minor pain, having taken a pain pill an hour ago.  I plan to put away the pain meds, though, and will use ibu and Tylenol for the remainder of the treatment period.  TomWhite - I messaged you for advise about dosages.  Doc says no running or really anything that might raise my BP for 7 days to ensure the bone grafting settles well.  I thinking walking will be okay, as long as I don't walk like Jay

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wow, Holly.  You've had quite the week.  I'm glad the court appearance went generally well.   Recover well from the oral surgery!

35 minutes on the elliptical after work.  Now I have to drive downtown for my MRI.  I would have to wait over a week to get into the places closer to home.  Ridiculous.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, About 5.2 pre-dawn miles this morning at an 8:35 pace.  Drama at work, won't bore you with it.  Raining again after work so no group bike ride.

Holly, fingers crossed it works out for DD (and you).

Steve, remember what they say....no good deed goes unpunished.

Tammy, Happy Anniversary!

Have a great night everyone!

evanflein

5.2 afternoon miles for me that were surprisingly sproinky, or at least a lot faster than my recent runs. Made me wonder, is it a matter of Garmin accuracy? Most of this month, my runs have felt like a struggle just to hit "easy" paces. Today felt like "easy" effort, but I was hitting paces in the mid to low 8's. Mile 4 (ok, some downhill) was 8:00 even! I don't get it. The big difference is, today is clear and sunny and most of this month has been cloudy and rainy. Does that make a difference? Whatever, I got the run done and the sunshine is wonderful.

As for the court appearances, I had one for a traffic violation when I was 16. Lawyer friend of my folks said don't admit to anything, just plead no contest. So I did. It was just my mom and me there, and I got 4 points on my license (I'd only had it 6 months!) and a fine I paid out of babysitting money. I always remembered that though, no contest is the way to go. Hope all goes well for your DD, Holly (and yeah, you, too). Hey, can you go swimming? Spinning at the Y?

RunnerKSA, you have an evening appointment for an MRI? So did Twocat. I don't think anyone does that around here.

Falconfixer

Just got my "sorry but" email from the BAA.  I knew it was close....but it really wasn't.  Last year you had to be 3:23 under your qualifying time (I was at 3:37 for this year).  This year it was 4:52 under.  So they also sent a link to the 2020 qualifying standards....Men 50-54 went from 3:30:00 to 3:25:00 (which of course happened anyway this year).

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - the doc said no, nothing that gets my HR/BP up for the time being.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Just got my "sorry but" email from the BAA.  I knew it was close....but it really wasn't.  Last year you had to be 3:23 under your qualifying time (I was at 3:37 for this year).  This year it was 4:52 under.  So they also sent a link to the 2020 qualifying standards....Men 50-54 went from 3:30:00 to 3:25:00 (which of course happened anyway this year).

4:52...yikes.  That's a big jump from the last few years.   I just looked at my BQ time for 2020...it too dropped by 5 minutes, from 4:10 to 4:05.  Given that I was 10:43 under for the 2019 event (and got in), if I ran that same time this November in qualifying, I'd only be 5:43 under.   The bar is raised, for sure.

Man, I'm sorry you didn't get in, Falcon   That's tough to qualify and not make it.   Yet, you knew the deal.   Really sorry.   Hang in there.    It took me over nine years to get my BQ.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

spacityrunner

I will never BQ...I am ok with that

Holly..what a day you've had

I ran with the Spa Festival training group tonight.  4 miles .  Up a mountain...turn around and back down.  Today was nice and cool so it felt good.  
                  Saw a new Sports Doc today and I like him...he talked with me, not at me, and we have a plan.  I may have arthritis but I have it in both knees but only one hurts.  So...we are looking around...I go in for a gait analysis on 10/9.  Its a pretty fancy set up.  This guy is with UAMS so they have all the new stuff!

Trails Rock!

Henrun

Sorry Falcon. What a difference from the ancient times. I BQ’d 7 times. I probably would not have made for at least the majority of those if the standards would have been as high as they are now.

And happy anniversary Tammy.

Mariposai

{{{{Holly}}} it looks like you had a big week and day today. I hope the best for your DD. That lawyer deserves a pie after all this is done.

Happy anniversary, Tammy. What a thoughtful and sweet boy David is. How is college life treating him so far?

Happy belated birthday, Steve P. I hope you had a wonderful day.

RunnerKSA, good luck with the MRI.

Falconfixer, sorry to hear that you did not get in in Boston. Wow, BQing is getting harder and harder. I am glad I got Boston out of my system. Like Joe it took me years and a lot of hard work.

This week is going by way too fast. Visiting the twocats is always very special. They are both amazingly caring and nurturing friends.

I have enjoyed hanging out with twocat taking him to his appointments , taking him out for short adventures such as the grocery store, the barber shop or for a short walk at the beach.

I have been running most days while I am here, including an unplanned 20 miler last Monday. Today I ran to Campo Beach, a lovely hilly run. The Victoria Marathon is on Oct. 7th. Time to start tapering Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Hot day here at 95 plus some smoke was blowing in today so air quality not that great. Went to the TM at the gym and ran 4.2.  I used the TM that has video routes on it. Never used that one before and now I wonder why?!  I ran on the Road to Hana program and sure made the time go by quicker. Actually ran 3.2 on that video, then ran 1 mile on the video track. 

Mariposai: David is doing great adapting to his college life, but I knew he would. He's really immersing himself in various activities. On the intramural tennis team, going to lots of activities with Honors College and School of Business. He's been ready for this step his whole senior year so I think he finally feels like he's arrived academically and socially with where he wants to be. Surrounded by self-motivated and intelligent classmates and making good friends.

Tammy

Happy Anniversary, Tammy!

MRI-  only a few of the offices in this radiology “chain” have the evening appointments.  I’m sure it’s to accommodate the worker folks with back injuries who can’t take off to come in during the day.  I was willing to drive to get this done.  I had to wait about 45 minutes (which they told me when I arrived) because they had a prior patient who couldn’t stay still and it took a lot of time.  So- I didn’t get home until now.  Also, for one of the first times ever I somehow forgot my phone and it caused serious anxiety issues and withdrawal (I’m not totally kidding).  I was bored with nothing to do while I waited but watch the news for the hundredth time today.    Results at my appt on Monday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Man, I'm sorry you didn't get in, Falcon   That's tough to qualify and not make it.

No doubt!  I am fortunate in that I ran Boston in 2008 and 2010, before they changed the standards and a qualifying time was enough.

Nancy - glad you are enjoying your time with the Twocats.

KSA - we sure have become addicted to our phones, haven't we?  And I depend on my Kindle app when I wait at dr offices to catch up on my reading.

Hey folks. Hope everyone had a good week. Thanks for your great recap Steve. Good luck on your job search.

I feel badly for you folks who came so close to qualifying for Boston. But let me just add. The fact that you’re even having a conversation about just missing the cutoff is WAY closer than I’ll ever get. That’s been on my bucket list forever. Maybe in my next life...

Busy day. Worked breakfast and lunch at the middle school covering for a friend who’s brother has terminal cancer and only has a few days left. Then went to the Y. An hour on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the rower and 30 minutes of weights and core.

Frost warnings tonight. Off to cover my tomato plants!