Masters Running

Tuesday 11/17 Rainy Daily - How the Heck am I Starting It?!! (Read 37 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How the Heck am I Starting a daily?!!

You'd think nobody likes to run in the rain.

That's okay.

I do.

With a new storm front in the area after yesterday’s brief, but chilly, respite, the call of the wild drove me into the maelstrom for a wet and windy 4.5 mile commuting runpopo (that's Japanese for run/walk but in some sort of traditional Japanese footwear or the other).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I don't think I've ever seen Tet start a daily thread before!

Blisters: yep, stab that sucker and it stops hurting and heals much faster.

We've been having cold temps here lately, sort of a reality check that yes, winter is here. By cold I mean minus double-digits at night, minus single digits in the day (-7 now). So, since I've become somewhat of a wuss recently, I've been running on the treadmill. 5.5 miles last night, probably more of the same tonight. We head to Hawaii on Thursday, and wouldn't you know it, it'll warm up nicely while we're gone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - I admit I do not like running in the rain, even warm rain....

Erika - that is cold!  I am still harvesting spinach from my garden.  We have really had a lovely and warm Autumn so far.  I guess it is like you say, when we are unseasonably warm, you are unseasonably (or maybe just more than usual) cold.  Enjoy Hawaii!

No run for me today, just some lower body work, and not much at that.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...been painting

The Blister with Tincture of Benzoin, old pharmacy remedy

(which helped today on the machines)

but

gonna stab it tomorrow after I walk if it swells up again

===========

....20-min elliptical on a different kind of machine,

there sure seem to be a LOT of them anymore,,,,,,,,,,,wonder why they don't get used much

then

40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, deo

All is Well

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

tet, congrats on another marathon.  marj and henrun, nice 5K with marj's daughter and granddaughter.  AD, nice pictures of the outdoors, you, and your new friend.

Nice long runs for Holly, Twocat, and mari.

This morning, it was about 40° and there was a little wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:14 pace.

Our daughter in law posted this picture of our grand sons enjoying last weeks Michigan State game.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Love those Michigan photos.  Brings out my remaining Michigander roots (and any day I can use Michigander in a sentence is a good one.  Also conestoga.  Notice how I did that?)

Speaking of, where is Mr. Doug?    Too busy galavanting about to stop by?

And pardon if this is a tmi question, but how--once you stab the blister--do you prevent from returning?  I don't mind the stabbing, but then it seems I never get it all drained so it never wants to leave.  Being blister prone, I would love a remedy.

......would a poultice work?  (and how come poultices and poultry aren't somehow related??)

Been seeing those temps up there, Erika.  Pshew, you are a strong woman, not a wuss.  No ma'am.  And it's so good so good so good you're going to Hawaii.

Me, I'm going to the Monkey.  That just shows who has the brains and who's the __________.    Oh, except I get to see Stevie Ray, remember him, srlopez in the CR boards?   He'll be there.    And Holly did the Monkey, tho she may not want to admit to it.

tw--while I'm practically a vegetarian, DH grew up on a cattle farm in South Dakota and is looking forward to getting some ribs in Nashville.  Any recommendations?

A 10K for me this am and maybe Speedsters tonight.  Of course, since I had Wednesday off, I over exercised my hip (for the leaning Trendelenburg Gait affliction that besets me) and did the exercisers wrong so that I strained my calf.  I'm an eejit.

grins,

A

ps I'd post a pic of me leaning, but I don't want to buy those, and I can't copy them.  The real pronounced ones are at the Jacksonville Bank Marathon and Half December 28, 2014--I'm bib 132 if you are wondering.  The "Speedy Banana" photographer still has them, if you are in need of a belly laugh.    (I hurt my ankle in November, so I'm wearing compression socks and a Frankenstein type cast on my left foot.  And leaning like crazy to my right.)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

...aamos//.........me too......but Calhoun's has good Southern Cooking and J Alexanders is a Great Resturamt

since I don't actually eat ribs,

you may want to pull up their menus online just to double check me

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS - adorable boys!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Tetsujin is starting the daily without being in Japan?

Tselbs, adorable kids. They have your smile.

Erika, that is way too cold for November, isn't it?

Today was day 5 of my online training for my new job, which came with a final exam at the end. A monster testing, but I did pass with a B+ and now I am so glad I got that done. Post test and before I drove to the office I did go out for a quick 3 miler as a victory lap run.

It is raining here and the wind is howling!

Stay safe dear friends,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody.

Tom--fantastic pictures--great looking boys!

Uh oh...it's warming up in Erika Land?  Our mild November is over.

I went to the Cross Country Banquet, last night...great time...but I got home late and couldn't get to sleep.

I went for a run for the first time in 3 weeks (except for one workout 2 weeks ago with the cc team).  It started out great...then, with 2 miles to go, my right glute started hurting really bad.  My right glute has never hurt.  I went ahead and finished the run...6 miles in 45:18...then I wrapped ice around both heals, rolled my left foot over a frozen water bottle, and sat on my ice...pack.

Okay--gotta go--see ya!

evanflein

Another 5.3 miles on the treadmill with some half mile faster bits to mix things up a bit. That's about it.

Those are some very cute grandkids, TomS. Adorable.

Mike, take care of those heels. You went kind of far for a first run in awhile.

Aamos, I was doing that leaning thing for awhile before I started developing sciatica. Have you done any core work lately? Sounds like that might be a good idea. Now I try to really focus on keeping hips square and core engaged, although not always easy. It's really helped my running though.

It's really not that cold out, only -6 now, but it sure seems colder than that. I think I need to just suck it up and get out there in it. But... today was another treadmill run as I look forward to running my usual routes in Kauai in a few days.  Smile

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's really not that cold out, only -6 now, but it sure seems colder than that. 

no wonder running in the rain doesn't seem so bad that I did it again on the way back today too.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to pretend it didn't seem that wet out.

Funny there isn't a better real-time measure of rain intensity on a scale of 1-10 like wind but from misty drizzle that you hardly notice and don't even get wet from to soaking-wet tropical deluges almost like jumping in a swimming pool within less than a minute, e.g. trace-per-hour to whatever the world record would be of five inches per hour or something rather than one-or-two-inches in the last 24-hours that really gives no idea of how hard it's falling on you at the time.

ps aamos - the two leaners I've run with ended up with serious hip flexor, etc. issues.

You've got something you can describe to a doc, and proof of pictures too.

Go do it.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

moebo

Erika, I think you're making the right choice with your treadmill runs--wait until at least December before you venture out in that kind of cold!

Tselbs, those little ones are adorable!

Tomwhite, I don't get a lot of blisters, but have had a couple lately. I put those cushioned corn/callous protectors with the hole in the middle over them, then just wait for the new skin to form underneath. Takes a while but works out fine in the end.

Aamos, I looked at those pictures--you aren't kidding about leaning to your right! I agree that you need to see a professional to figure that out.

Oh yeah, also looked up poultice and poultry--different origins! Poultice is from Latin pultes (porridge or pap) and poultry is from Old French poulet, which is from Latin pullus (chicken).

5 miles for me. I thought it was 34 degrees so wore shorts. Turned out it was 31 degrees and I was cold! Never trust a weather app.

Marathon Maniac #957

And Holly did the Monkey

Twice!  Lovely race, great swag, quite a feast afterward and lots of beer.  Of course, there are also those relentless hills.....