Masters Running

The Saturday Daily, 2.23.13 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lots of races in the area that were scheduled for tomorrow have been canceled because of the pending snow. Meanwhile, our expected accumulation has been downgraded to 3-6" of heavy, wet stuff.

I decided to get out on the roads this morning 'cause I've been going a little nuts from not working out this week. I didn't walk into any poles, but then again, there were no goddesses out at 4am. I went a little over 4 easy, easy miles, and then came back for a lot of careful stretching and exercises. It's about an hour later now, and the jury is still out about whether it was OK to be out there, or if I should have known that it was too soon. I expect my bod will tell me it was too soon. I know what I've got is minor, compared to what a lot of other folk are dealing with, but I can still hate it can't I?

OK - mini-rant over, and it is time to get on with the day: Breakfast at the local dive with DW, then the indoor farmer's market, then Trader Joe's, and then stopping at the local running store to pick up more entries for our road race series (300+ signed up so far, and the first race isn't till May). Then I'll have to bring in more wood for the stove, especially because we could still lose power from this mini-storm (doesn't take much to bring down branches and trees on power lines around here), so we'll want a back-up heat source.

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Morning Jay, and all who follow.

No run for me today of course, but I'll go to the expo in Ft. Worth this afternoon for packet pickup, then stay overnight at a local hotel.

Got up early this morning to make bacon and eggs for Riblet, who had to be at work at 7.  Now I'm sitting around not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing.  It's going to be a long day.   Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning everybody!  Ryan came for his girlfriend's birthday and is going to run with me this morning at 9:30.  So...I'm anxiously  awaiting  for 9:30.  I love running with that kid...

I hope you feel okay later on, today, Jay.  I'm sure you'll, at least, be sore just from not going for a while, won't you?  I know I always am.  Good luck with that storm, too.

Good luck on your 50k, Ribs!  Be careful about going out too fast and make sure you walk through every food and water station...and eat and drink.  Okay...that's my advice.  I'm sure you'll have a great time talking to everybody out there and it will be over before you know it.

Good luck to all the other racers this weekend, too!

I was talking to Ryan, last night, about my plans to get into Personal Training.  He was really excited about it...which got me even more excited about it.  I love talking to that kid...

Okay, I should get going.  DW has stuff for me to do before I go for my run.  See ya!

C-R

Hi all. Made it Diney ok with only one flight delay but they upgraded us to first class. Happy birthday to me. DW and I walked the 5k this morning. Very nice and then I went out and ran a 6.3 miler to shake out the legs for tomrrow's.

Ok - this race kind of makes me anxious. Not the distance or humidity but the field. There are 22000+ ladies and about 1200 guys. I've never seen so many tiaras and pink outfits in my life. I feel very out of place. I will be running in purple shoes and a pink singlet (in honor of all those battling cancer) but man. I now get it and will make sure DD never has to feel that way at an event. That was a pleasant wake up call.

Keeping all those in need in our prayers and good luck to the racers this weekend.

Heal up soon Jay.

Ribs - I like bacon. Can you make some more cause all I had was a banana.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I should really check in more often. A couple of years ago, I checked in with a palindrome run. I just did another: 7.7 miles in 1:02:01.

So, in honor of that, here's my favorite palindrome:

Are we not pure? "No sir!" Panama's moody Noriega brags. "It is garbage!" Irony dooms a man; a prisoner up to new era

Off to watch the girls ski. Good days, everyone.

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, today, C-R, and good luck, tomorrow.  And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

but I can still hate it can't I?

Oh, yes you can Jay, yes you can.

YAY jay's back//...........All's Right with the World..........

==========

first 32min poolrun

since last week...............good work-out

SPEEDO-Boy is back however,,,,,,,uuuurgggg

.............always gotta be something, huh??

.........................good running guys............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

happy birthday c-r and good luck to racers!

jay - you have to try otherwise you'll never know if you're on the mend -

jlynne - you'll get there too and congrats on new GB

we have a local 2.5 no registration race/speedwork, so i ran the 5 miles there and raced the 2+ miles - it was shortened because of ice - and then henrun drove up and jogged/walked the distance also.  i haven't done any speed work in months and it felt good - picked off 3 people during the race (the really slow ones)

enjoy the w/e everyone!

marj

mta: happy birthday fatozzig

Marathon Maniac #957

I never remember the good palindromes.  The only ones that stick in my mind are: Dammit, I'm mad! and Evil Olive.

6 easy paced miles for me today in 30-ish degrees

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Belated happy birthday to arf's son.  Happy birthday today to fatozzig and C-R.  Mike, sending good wishes your way for Eric.  OM, thinking of your mom and sending good vibes.

Nice long runs for Twocat, Mike, maine, and Holly.  Good job on the speedwork for evan.

This morning, I dragged my sorry butt outside instead of using the TM.  It was in the high 30s, there was some wind, and the roads had packed snow and ice.  My Yaks and I got in 9 miles at an 11:10 pace.

Here's a small town story.  I live a mile outside of a small town of about 300 people.  Every day there is a group of us old guys who meet at the local coffee shop to swap lies.  Yesterday we were sitting there and a local farmer as calm as can be says, "Someone's stealing my truck".  Sure enough, someone had climbed into Fred's truck and was driving away.  They pulled into the nearby parking lot.  It turns out it was a village employee out plowing snow.  He wanted to plow where Fred's truck was parked, knew Fred always left his keys in the truck, and just moved it out of the way.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

OrangeMat

MM #6177

"Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog" is my favorite palindrome... which is odd, considering I'm a vegetarian.

Happy Birthday to both Leslie and C-R!! Hope you survive that sea of pink tomorrow, C-R, and best wishes for an excellent race!

And best of luck to Spareribs on his 50k tomorrow! I'm very excited to hear how it all turns out... though probably not as excited as he is to run it....

So the saying "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" comes to mind about the training that I'm doing lately. Well, basically the first part of the saying, that is... My 16 miles today were TOUGH! Thankfully I had company for most of the way, and the weather conditions were pretty much ideal: 39F and drizzly, pretty much the whole time. I wore a skort rather than leggings and I'm so glad I did. Nothing worse than being worn out AND overdressed... Somehow I managed relatively consistent splits for an average 10:00 pace, though the last mile (after a dire bathroom break) was almost a minute slower than the rest. Guess I had lost my mojo by that point. Eh, it's done... done, done, and on to the next one....

Have a great rest of the weekend, all!

Happy birthday fatozzig and C-R!

tselbs great story.

Spareribs I hear that the best strategy for a 50K is to start out as fast as you can. If you try it let us know how it works out.

I managed a 13+ mile run today.  Now all I have to do is do that twice and I will manage to actually finish another marathon!  Slowly perhaps but upright.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

Funny truck story teslbs.

My car was stolen one summer, back in the days of leaded fuel.  I got the car back, but I never needed a key to start it anymore due to whatever they did when it was stolen.  When I went back to college, some people in my dorm found out about the key-less start and it wouldn't be overly surprising for me to see my car go by when I was walking down the street.

I went to my regular doctor again this past Friday and tried to explain, without sounding like an idiot, my strange symptoms.  I brought up running.  How in 2011 I ran nothing but pr's and since then I have been running mostly pw's.  So they did a resting EKG which was normal.  They are going to schedule a stress test for me in the next couple weeks.  If that is ok, then they are going to refer me to a sports medicine doctor/facility here in town called Wellsport.  See if they can help.

I think I am just psyched out from the random chest tightness that the slightest twinge makes me slow down or stop.  If my stress test shows I'm ok, I believe that will give me the confidence to quit stressing over it so much.

First I have to survive the stress of going in to the office all next week down in WV.  It's been 6+ months with a new boss and I'm still not used to having a manager who thinks so little of me.  I've been spoiled by 30 years of being someone who exceeds expectations on the job.  I am trying to view this as a learning experience.

wildchild

Carolyn

C-R - Happy Birthday, Princess!  Wink

Leslie - Happy Birthday to you, too!

Dave - good luck with the doctor and with the trip to WVa.

Nice job on the long runs for OM and Twocat!

I drove down to town for my long run, because it's cold and snowy  here in the mtns.  It turned out to be a beautiful day in the flatlands, and I ran 25 miles in just under 5 hours.   I went on one trail at about mile 17 that turned out to be mostly ankle-deep slush, so I ran back to my car and changed to dry shoes and socks, and while I was at it, I changed into shorts for the last 8 miles.   Good run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.