Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 5.1.18 (Read 38 times)

Anzlo

Coastwalker - A 6.3 mile (> 10K) RW workout with declining splits sounds pretty good.  And then, made special by a 2 mile recovery walk with your DW for breakfast; sounds like a great start to the day.

Another 5 miles this morning like yesterday at a start-up/warm-up two miles pace and then test pace for 3 miles just to see how I might want to "cold start" Sunday (10:30 for the 5 this AM). That was the good part of this AM.  Then I spent 2 hours in the dentist's chair tolerating the removal of what was left of a badly broken crown, prepping it for another crown, and getting a temporary put in.  There were some issues and the process was worse than getting a crown the first time on that tooth, but it's over, for now.  In a couple weeks I get the permanent as most of you know is standard procedure.  I have a hard bite and they have decided I need a new harder material they are using for crowns so I don't crack and break this one.  As dentist visits go this one wasn't the worst I have had, not close, but still long, and my jaw is quite sore.  The tooth was the rear lower molar where a lot of chewing happens.

I hope you are all having a nice day !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Anzlo - Our dentist is trying to convince The Hub he needs to replace a crown.  He's not going for it.  He's still PO'd about getting a tooth pulled, going through the expense of having a graft done to get a replacement tooth, then the dentist waiting too long and telling him his teeth have moved to much.  Yeah, he wasn't happy.  I think the graft was over $1,700.

Tammy - I decided to wander over and look at the map, etc., for this weekend's race.  The Hub what time I'd like to finish the race in and I said under 4 hrs.  I thought was was more than reasonable.  Now I see there's actually a 4 hr time limit for the 30k.    Oh - And is there seriously a 12.5 hr time limit for the 50k??  Cripes, SOB has a 7.5 hr time limit.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

the first year I ran it , it took 3:44. Last year it took 4:19.  Cut off times are not enforced. You'll be fine. I think some of the slowest runner/walkers on the 30K last year were in the 5-6 hr range. Justin wants everyone to be able to finish with a smile on their faces. and if you don't cross the finish line with a smile, he do something in his usual justin whackiness to make you smile. 
        The 50K has a cutoff of 7:30. not sure where you saw 12.5? but that must be a typo if you read that somewhere.  the slowest person last year was just barely over that cutoff. It's pretty do-able.

Tammy

Ha! I misunderstood "7:30" to be 7:30 p.m., as opposed 7.5 hrs.  I was thinking, "Well, dang, 12.5 hrs to finish a 50k?!?  Freaking generous!" 

I am so ready to get outta dodge for a coupla days . . . .

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

4.6 miles for me this morning in 45 degrees.

Off to DD's lacrosse game.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The tooth was the rear lower molar where a lot of chewing happens.

That's what they told me too ("lot of chewing happens on the lower rear molar), plus it will leave the upper molar with nothing to do but I just let them pull it out as is and, after having the same for the other side, am chewing just fine on the two lower remaining forward molars.  Plus the solo uppers don't seem to mind nothing to do at all. I could even buy a lifetime of new shoes with the money I saved but, since I haven't bought a pair of running shoes since 1990, I don't intend to start now.  Probably have saved more money on not buying shoes than replacement teeth that everyone still seems to think I need so much.  Hope I continue to get the last laugh. We'll see. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Quickadder

I couldn't resist picking up an empty 12-pack Corona beer box to deposit in a park refuse can about 20-feet away from where the inconsiderate slob left it last night.  Voila!, it was half full of full bottles.  Un-voila.  I don't drink.  Viola!  I know someone who does.

Tet, have you considered recycling? I hope the full bottles were not full of ‘recycled’ beer.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

bioguy

Interesting set of posts today. 8 mile bike ride for me.

Tailwinds

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 for me at lunch, then 7 and change after work.

No apparent reaction after that double. I really feel like I am about back to where I should be, just heavier than I should be

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

4.25 mixed tempo

Middle of the run was a 4:30k followed by a 4:00k. Final "fast" (lol) run before track meets this weekend.

tet; free beer is the best beer, even if it's swill like Corona or Bud.

Anzlo; I can relate to the teeth. I'm still holding off until I check on dental tourism before I get a couple implants. Did you know they have a CNC crown machine now? My Mom said her dentist has one. They take the impressions and then pop it into a machine that scans them, and it then makes the crown RIGHT THERE, an it's installed on that same visit. Hard to believe. Not sure what the material is, either. Maybe she was confused and it was the temporary, but I don't think so.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, got up early enough for 3.4 miles as a walk/run--still 2 minutes walk and 1 minute of easy running.  Knee pain still minimal.  Got to hear (and occasionally see) the Officer Training School cadets formed up and doing their group PT...even chanting jodies.  Some things never change (and here and basic are about the only places where it happens in the AF).  DW arrived before lunch.  We took a brief walk after work then went downtown to dinner.  Place was down the street from the state capital building.

So the pod people thing....analogies are imperfect; but I'm standing by this one.  Another strange day.  Starting to get a sense of what the issues are, but not the cause(s).  Can't go further into it yet.  Right now it's still (mostly) intuition--and as an engineer I really like to back that up with data.

RunnerKSA, hope they find the cause soon!  BTW, saw on TV that Vandy is playing Auburn this weekend in baseball.

Mike, I want to be like you when I grow up!  Outstanding time!

Have a great night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm not certain but I think this is Mike’s trophy (with last year’s winner)

Hey!  You found my trophy!  Okay--it's really not quite that bad.  I'll include a picture of it when I do my race report.  I'll try to do that soon. I have just been incredibly busy.  I really do appreciate everybody's nice comments, though.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

TammyinGP

4 miles for me tonight.

Tammy