Masters Running

Semi-lurker Saturday start (Read 38 times)

Hey friends!!  Miss you all and reading back posts so I'll start with a quick post from my morning run!!

8.0 miles in 20 feels like 10 degrees!! Ran with a Sole Sister buddy!!  Donated blood yesterday so kept the pace easy.

Advent talk at church this morning, now heading out to our local running store to see the Saucony reps and buy some new kicks!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!!

denise

Deez, I just recently came out of lurkdom as well -- welcome back!

Holly, where do you swim and how far is a "length"? At the Oakland University pool where I swim, the lanes are usually crosswise and 25 yards across. On the rare occasions when they're lengthwise, it's 50 meters (I think).

Mike, we've come out on the other side of some of what you seem to be going through. I hope this works out well for you all.

Last winter was so mild that I don't think I ever wore my thermal tights or balaclava, but this morning I had both on and appreciated it. Not as cold as deez at about 24F and breezy, but quite a bit colder than we've had so far. But it was today or not for a while since they're talking "6 - 12 inches" between now and Monday morning. Anyway, 5 pretty good miles on a crisp wintery morning.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

Ran in the same temps as deez but 1/3 the distance.  dropped Henrun off & then parked, so he could walk an area that he hasn't gotten to in several months and I ran the circle for 3.  did a little swimming yesterday but not as much as Holly

we're lurking in the library because we lost our power - lurking because I snuck coffee in as there were no free tables in the coffee shops (we tried two).  Henry picked up the new Michael Chabon book Moonstruck and I'm working my way through many volumes of Eleanor Roosevelt.

Hopefully by now Posai has gotten home - sorry about the missed connections,

Enjoy the day!

marj

I am enjoying a Saturday home baking cookies, wrapping presents and sewing while watching the big snowflakes fall. A week ago I was looking at the lake and thought that it looked odd, then realized that it had not frozen over yet.  It’s frozen now but not completely, giving the Canada geese a place to park. There must several hundreds of them out there.

I’ve been lurking and not running until last night, finally! First run post surgery and it felt good, although I’m a bit achy here and there today but it’s a good ache. It felt great to be out there and I am so thankful that the campground restroom was open, I sure needed a break just then. 3 miles in 12° and 5 mph wind, didn’t check the wind chill. I tried not to overdress but wore summer tights under my wind pants and shirt/fleece top/jacket combo, not a bit cold, really!

Mike, so glad that the public defender got involved and will go to bat for Eric to get help.

Hi Deez, so you ran 8 miles before church? Doesn’t donating blood affect you for a couple of weeks?

Doug, we are getting 4-6” today/tonight, driving is always tricky until people remember their winter driving skills.

Posai - hope you get home safe and sound.

Erika - have a great time with Hally/Barb, you sure do travel a lot!

Jay - Keep rehabbing and you'll be back before you know it. Taking time off in the winter isn't all bad, is it?

Stay warm everyone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Hi All,

met up with 3 friends this morning at some local trails and we got in 5 miles of hills. Bella came running with me and she had a grand time too.

Tammy

That all sounds cold, but dry!  I did 7.5 miles in a constant downpour.  Twocat would have been    It was the same route as the 12K run/walk I am doing next weekend.  I wanted to check out the hills.  In previous years, the route was very hilly.  This year there are only two hills, first one takes you up to a new rail trail, which of course is flat for about 3 miles.  The last mile was miserable, driving rain and wind straight into me.  I was soaked through 4 layers.  Oh, and 42F.  Guess it could have been worse, it could have been 33F and heavy rain.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I went 3 more easy miles today.  Then I shoveled.

A kid that Ryan ran with in high school informed me that he is running the Zion 100 Mile in April.  I looked it up to see what state it was in to see if I could run it with him.  I was very relieved to find that it was in Utah...because I've already done Utah.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

enkephalin "No running in the rain!"©  What is wrong with you people? Read the rule book! 

One week before I start running again. This ends week 5. I have a good friend that really needs to take 6 weeks off the heal up, but . . . I wish I could convince him to stop. He is wicked fast when healthy. He easily qualified for the 2016 Boston marathon. Then he got seriously hurt (moving leaves in his DD's back yard of all things) and was unable to run at all let alone Boston. He was on track to qualify again this fall. Heck, he won his AG in two HMs, one with serious competition, in October. Then he came down with tendonitis in his ankle. Worse, he knew how it happened; he over did it while training and knew he was over training instead of letting his body catch up. Fast forward to November, he runs a marathon and comes nowhere near qualifying. Poor guy. With the fall marathon gone, that is the perfect time to stop running and heal up, right? After all, there is lots of time to train for a spring marathon and then qualify for Boston. Nope, he is out running. My DW and her friend saw him today and seeing him from a distance could tell he is still injured. I feel really bad for the guy, but short of paying someone to kidnap him I do not see anyway to get him to lay off of running until he heals up.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I did 7.5 miles in a constant downpour.  

The last mile was miserable, driving rain and wind straight into me.  

I was soaked through 4 layers.  Oh, and 42F.  

Guess it could have been worse, it could have been 33F and heavy rain.

spoken like a true webfoot.

very proud of you, . .  and glad it was you and not me.

ps - when d'cha move here, anyway?

ps twocat: what's with you guys bck there gettin' tendonitis or whatever

in the toe and ankle instead of in the tendon where it belongs?.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

A kid that Ryan ran with in high school informed me that he is running the Zion 100 Mile in April.  I looked it up to see what state it was in to see if I could run it with him.  I was very relieved to find that it was in Utah...because I've already done Utah.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I am enjoying a Saturday home baking cookies, wrapping presents and sewing while watching the big snowflakes fall.

Sounds like an awesome way to spend a Saturday.  Nice wintry run for you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, where do you swim and how far is a "length"? At the Oakland University pool where I swim, the lanes are usually crosswise and 25 yards across. On the rare occasions when they're lengthwise, it's 50 meters (I think).

At the YMCA pool it is 25 for a length and 50 for a lap (up and back), but I don't know if it is meters or yards.

4.5 miles for me on Saturday, followed by 30 minutes of core and weights.