Masters Running

Thursday, August 5 Daily (Read 487 times)

. . .or so the numbers say . . .

Tammy got there before I could.

Enke - Try sleeping with a pillow under your knees (on back) or between your knees (on side).  It helps to keep the back aligned and relieve some of the pressure.  Our temp was 51 at 5:30, but everything was wet, wet, wet with a nice steady stream coming out of the holes where our downspouts are suppose to be.  All week, it's looked like it rained during the night.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

5.7 miles RAL that felt harder than it should have. It was cool enough to be "chilly" at the start, 65° but the humidity is around 80% and it felt muggy... I was dripping sweat by mile 2. That seems strange to me, being that cool out. But I cooled off faster than if it had been warmer out. I'm frequently flushed and sweaty for quite awhile after my shower even with a good cooldown walk, but not today.

The smoke was bad last night and early this morning, but it seemed to clear up a lot as the day went on. When I left for my run it was not a problem at all, could barely even smell it. But when I turned around to come back, you could see it rolling in. Quite an amazing sight! By the time I got to the bottom of the hill to walk back up, it was getting bad. Now the visibility is barely a mile or so out there, indicating some pretty crummy air quality. I'm glad I got my run in when I did.

Orange Mat needs an avatar.

Aamos, I'll get my chance to pester Beeker next month. I'll be in Boca Raton for a conference the week after the Equinox!

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks, just popping by to catch up on your antics...

Mary - skydiving - wow!  You are a brave one!

Craneium - congrats!

Yesterday's whitewater rafting trip was a blast!  Had to be there at 9am for a 10am start time, had a terrifying bus drive down a mountain track to the river in the pouring rain, but then the rain stopped before we got there, the sun came out, and we had a fabulous day on the river - hot temps, cool water, great lunch, lots of fun.  We finished around 4:30 and then the kids played on their lake which was loaded with giant inflatebles and zip lines and the like.  Anyone interested in doing this, it's Ace Adventure Resort in Oak Hill, West Virginia.  I can hardly wait until DD is 11, when we can go on the bigger rapids.

5.6 miles for me this morning on the park road.  Even after 2 days off, my legs felt inordinately dead.  For this sea-level runner, would 2400 feet elevation be something I would feel?  Afterward the whole famile went on a 3 1/2 mile guided hike down to the river, which took nearly 3 hours, with the guide making lots of stops for history and botany chats - very nice.  We took a tram ride back up, went to town for lunch, then drove to the Lost World Caverns for a cave tour.  Whew!

Tomorrrow will be just hanging around the park here and being a little more relaxed....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Sarge, the trick with the ice in the hat is to make sure you have some fabric layer between the ice and your head.  Years ago I experimented with this a lot.  You just have to mess with it a bit and it works great.  Spareribs

.... or Hair

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

SteveP

Holy Brain Freeze Batman....I need ice cream.

TomS, if you're interested, there's a nice 5K in Copemish Sunday, the 8th. $15.00 entry and a "All you can eat by donation" Pancake Breakfast at the church 1/4 mile north of the race.

I'll be in Ludington area (Scottville) this weekend as well...DW and Tag are on vacation...DD#1, Noah and DD#2 came home Wednesday. DD#3 and DS are due back Friday. I'm gonna go protect Tag from the scarey monsters in the campground. It's a family camping week with about 7 tribes getting together.  DW has told me what kids have wanted me there and why. Uncle Steve has told some interesting stories, including (but not limited to), "Night of the Living Road KIll" . A "Living Raod Kill" is easy to detect, it's eyes glow green when you shine a light on it. What some of the kids don't realize, most animals eyes glow green when you shine a light on them.

There's also a historical village behind the camp ground. When it's getting dark, a bunch of us will hike trails. I'll show the kids a spooky tree and tell them how the Good Witch of Scottville turned her wicked husband into the oak.  Those brave enough to look inside can see where his bones turned into branches. The man was so awful, the original residents of the village just left it.  Not long after that part of the story, the trails take us to the empty historical village. Kids hear about the witch turning herself into a tree down by the pond. Every one called it a "weeping widow" after time that tree has been called a "Weeping Willow" and it's still there today. A hundred years later, if you listen carefully, crying children can still be heard. Most nights, there's a screech owl that sounds like a crying kid.

Uncle Steve also sent a three wide slip and slide...I've been getting reports on that.

SteveP

SteveP

Yesterday's whitewater rafting trip was a blast!  Had to be there at 9am for a 10am start time, had a terrifying bus drive down a mountain track to the river in the pouring rain, but then the rain stopped before we got there, the sun came out, and we had a fabulous day on the river - hot temps, cool water, great lunch, lots of fun.  We finished around 4:30 and then the kids played on their lake which was loaded with giant inflatebles and zip lines and the like.  Anyone interested in doing this, it's Ace Adventure Resort in Oak Hill, West Virginia.  I can hardly wait until DD is 11, when we can go on the bigger rapids.

5.6 miles for me this morning on the park road.  Even after 2 days off, my legs felt inordinately dead.  For this sea-level runner, would 2400 feet elevation be something I would feel?  Afterward the whole famile went on a 3 1/2 mile guided hike down to the river, which took nearly 3 hours, with the guide making lots of stops for history and botany chats - very nice.  We took a tram ride back up, went to town for lunch, then drove to the Lost World Caverns for a cave tour.  Whew!

Way Kewl...DW and I went on our honeymoon...Our guide fell out.

SteveP

Maniac 505

Dave:

so glad to hear your foot is coming along.  I use orthotics,  Insurance does not cover them for me.  I think they help me but it took a long time (months) before I could run distance with them,   that was after a year of no running because I wrecked my feet before orthotics.  (I knew I shouldn't have ran that 12th marathon that year).

anyway,  I bet if 100 people went to orthopods,  they would recommend orthotics to 95 of them,  some of those 95 would actually need them.  after all,  that is one of the main things orthopedic doctors do.  Good  luck,  if you go that route, I hope it works for you.  Break them in slowly.  (follow the doc's advice)

Enke:

Glad the Dr says your Thyroid numbers are normal.  I know this has been a long road for you.  hope your body tells you the doctor is right

Holly:

I don't think 2400'  would be enough elevation to make a difference,   I think you have just been working too hard.  It sounds like you are having a GR8 vacation.  I am only slightly envious.  My next vacation is in a couple weeks when I head to Vegas and run the ET midnight marathon.

6 miles with my speedy neighbor today,  Pfitz has me doing the rest of the week just doing mileage.  I start doing speed next week.  Though Las Vegas will kind of get in the way of the speed work,  I am kind of dreading next week.

Dave

dg.

hi again!   I'm not taking time to read more right now, but I wanted to tell Doug to have a great trip.

Doug.... have a great trip!!    

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Went to yoga class tonight, and my hamstring felt great! It's good to know I was doing all the right things, and that these therapeutics movements and positions heal rather than harm. I still emailed my massage therapist for an appointment, hopefully I can get in to see him by the beginning of next week.

I should probably take tomorrow off from running, though. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll thunderstorm, forcing me to stay in and ride my stationary bike or something. Yeah, that's the ticket.

For OM:

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I managed another 4 miles after my work day, not my favorite time for  running but life was just too busy to take advantage of the morning hours.

Legs are feeling better everyday .  I begged and got the day off next Sunday to go run a 12h race in Olympia...yeah!!!

Good night  everyone!

Francesca 

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Thanks Leslie! Turns out I had a picture in my profile, just didn't know how to make it my avatar yet.

My hair gets curly in the summer humidity, 'nuf said.

TammyinGP

Way Kewl...DW and I went on our honeymoon...Our guide fell out.

did your guide FALL out or did he(she) jump out when you ripped off your clothes and were wearing your batman suit?

Tammy