Masters Running

Marathon Training Help Wanted: Apply Here (Read 595 times)

Holly and I use the same playbook.  The only thing I would add, based on my experience, is that the most difficult training runs you can anticipate are the first time you do 14, 16, 18, and 20.  I think you're already acknowledging this when you say you can't imagine doubling a Half.  Here's the thing: two weeks after running 14 and feeling like you couldn't go another step, you'll be feeling just a little weary at mile 14 on your way to 16 (where you'll feel completely spent).  Your body adapts.  Your second 20 will be easeir than your first. The most difficult part is over (until race day, that is).

Other things that come to mind are hydration and walking.  You can (I'm tempted to say "will") get dehydrated on LRs and during a marathon.  If possible, weigh yourself before and after a run.  Account for the weight of liquid you consume and figure out how much weight you've lost in sweat.  It's not good to lose more than 2-3% of your body weight.  Cramping can result from dehydration (and electrolyte loss) and it's good to use those LRs to figure things out before race day.  Walking can be integrated into your race-day plan (see books or other resources by Galloway) or you can walk up hills (there's a nice long one late in the TCM).

Goodl luck.  Maybe I'll see you in October.

mrrun

You can easily do it - I did my first at 60 and have since done 2 more.  The only advice I'll add is long runs are more important to me than miles.  I'd try to get 3 20's.  I ran my fastest and easiest when I had the long runs and my worst when I had the high mileage, but fewer long runs.  good luck! marj

I am also contemplating running my first in either October or November.

I am 59 years old, will have been running 4 years by race day, and have good experience at 1/2 marathons. I am planning to race, not just finish, so I am going to have to work really hard!

Last summer, training for a half in October, I ran loops in the hot weather so I could come back to a water bottle at regular intervals. I also experimented with electrolyte replacement, which I think helped. Some days you either have to cut a run short or go really slowly- this is not a big disaster and is not something to worry about.

I tried to follow a  Pfitzinger marathon plan although I was doing a half- my biggest week was 49 miles and longest run was 20 miles. I did very well in my half.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Slo

Simon

Where are you in Ontario ?  The Twin Cities Marathon may be the perfect Oct Marathon....Sounds like you'd have lots of good RA support.

Marathon Maniac #957

Bumping this up, in case Eliz is interested.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good idea Holly Smile

Ok, I'll post the link to the marathon training plan thread. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/mtp/forum

Lots of different plans described. 

Mariposai

There will be many suggestions for your first marathon.

My suggestion is that you determine your goal. To race? To finish?.

Then find a plan that will work for you and your family and stick to it.

I ran 5 of my 14 marathons following Hal Higdon's novice plan I am so happy with it.

Don't complicate your existence with fancy workouts...just go out to run the miles and let your body be your guide.

I am so proud of you dear sistahhh.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard