Masters Running

Wednesdaily, 5.16.18 (Read 40 times)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, apologies for another quick post.  Ran 6.13 pre-sunup.  9:06 pace.  After a 9:53 first mile the rest were in the 8:50s.  Doing an extended drill weekend (with yet another general officer visit for our wing change of command) so posting may be limited.  He's here for a change of command ceremony so we'll be busy.

Have a great night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Cool looking cat, Leslie.

That's too bad that you have to miss the marathon, Holly.

I gave a feeling spacityrunner is going to get a scolding when Twocat pops in here.

I had a very tough run, today, that I had to trick myself into finishing.  It was 12 miles with the middle 10 at tempo pace.  It was 87° and sunny, so I already psyched myself out during my 1st mile warmup...telling myself that the heat was going to kill me.  I held pace through 4 tempo miles then started to struggle.  I told myself to get, at least, half of the workout on goal pace, then I could back off.  When I finished the 5th tempo, I talked myself into doing 6 because that is the least of the tempo miles in the program.  After completing the 6th on goal pace, I was ready to throw in the towel...but, I just told myself to go for as long as I could.  Once I finished the 7th one, I thought, it would really be cool if I could 8 in this heat, but that was going to be it.  After knocking out the 8th one I thought I would get 9 so I could have two 9 mile tempo runs and two 10 mile tempo runs before my next marathon.  The start of the 10th tempo mile is up a hill and, since my next marathon is going to be hilly, I decided to just work hard up the hill and, then coast on home.  But, once I started going downhill, I decided I should give it everything I had and complete the whole 10 miles at tempo...which I did.  Then, I crawled home.

Okay--that's it--I'm going to crawl up the stairs and go to bed.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey Surely, if you don't want to worry about WW3 since JFK days,

they've been predicting end of the world supply of oil since I-like-Ike days.

Fortunately, if either come true at this stage, I've made it most of the way, anyway.

Another taper day after Monday afternoon's very tough run (that kind of reminds me of someone else except he's more than 2X faster than me) as, with temps getting up to the high eighties, I had to trick myself into finishing the desired five miles back to the house. In fact, at 88° and sunny, I'd already psyched myself out during my 1st mile warmup to the pedestrian tunnel where the water fountain hadn't been turned on yet for summer, . . . telling myself that the heat was going to kill me.  I held pace through for 4 regular miles, then started to struggle with only a mile to go.  I told myself to get, at least, to the house where  I could back off.  When I finished the 5th mile, I was totally ready to throw in the towel and never had a second thought about telling myself to go for as long as I could and never could have imagined it being really be cool if I could do another mile in this heat so, since my next marathon is going to be pretty flat, I decided to take the rest of the week off.  Even so, I crawled home.

Okay,--that's it--I'm going to try to crawl up the stairs and into the bed, but I doubt it.

See ya!

ps - thanx and a tip of the hat to MikeE

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Ok, so I guess my run was somewhere between Mike E's and Tet's. Glad to have that range to settle between! I did 8.1 miles tonight, nothing close to tempo pace and nothing close to 80's temps! It was mid-50's and a bit breezy from the SW, so a headwind most of the way out on this run. First few miles I struggled with the headwind and just feeling slow. Last few miles I loved the tailwind but struggled a bit with tired legs. And at this point, I just can't do the mental discussion to talk myself into holding steady pace for that long... yep, a few stops and walks, but really not too bad. I will say I did not crawl home, and came home and made dinner and did a load of laundry and the dishes. So there. Big grin