Masters Running

It is Monday, right? 2/11 Daily Topic is Now Open (Read 42 times)

Tramps

I'd like to write DW a poem for Valentine's Day and could use a little help. What rhymes with "Chicklet" and "Raging Blizzard"?

Nitwit

Eddie Izzard

You're welcome.

BTW, Dave is the one who first brought up Calvin and Hobbes.

This is one of my all-time favorites:

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Hey TwoCat. Does DW like tuna? Several exotic options there for a more "meaty" fish and can be paired with several wines.

MTA: One of my favorites.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm reminded by C-R's avatar--it's a real toss up for most favorite.  Calvin and Hobbs or Bloom County.  Can't go wrong with either, I guess.

I'd also second tuna or swordfish on the grill as a steak alternative.  However, I'm not one that likes them rare.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Swordfish is good too. I tend to go to the rare side but that was from all those years living in the Pacific. Only one decent sushi and sashimi place here in Indy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

wildchild

Carolyn

Great cartoons today!

I did a 9.7  mile trail run at lunchtime (work is slow), and I did an Enke when I tripped over a root and did a face plant.  This is my 2nd fall in a week - last Tuesday I slipped in the mud in almost exactly the same place I fell today.    Fortunately I had a soft landing both times.

Enke, how was your weekend at the cottage?  I've been thinking about you and hope you and the kids are doing okay.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Monday here too…

Mainerunnah – you have such a lovely house!  I’d love to see some pics in the spring and summer, when the woods are in full green.

Arf – go for it!

Wannabee – welcome back, speedy woman!  Sorry to hear about your pending divorce – tough time for sure….

Twocat – how can WE suggest what your wife might like?  Give us some clues as to what she likes....

Tramps – Big grin

After seeing a Nova special that showed a cross-section of fish (I think it was halibut) under light, showing all the parasites in it, I cannot bear to eat fish anything but well-done.

2 gentle miles for me this morning, followed by 30 minutes or so of upper body and core work.

I finally upgraded our home computer with a boot-leg copy of Microsoft Office 2007.....Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

CR, I was just thinking about that exact cartoon just the other day!!

Still no running for me.... the shockwave therapy didn't really work and my long XC ski on the weekend, with all the trail breaking, certainly didn't help.  Will give the foot a bit more rest and if there's no signs of improvement, then call the podiatrist.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet  Chilly Hilly is coming up in a couple of weeks.  will you be around?

whoa, that is enticing, especially since I'm celebrating my upcoming new decade with some running challenges I'd completely given up on when my right knee went and got old on exactly four year ago in february 2009.  It already hurts just thinking of two of those chilly hilly hills I remember wondering when the last time I'd make it to the top without getting off with so many other riders would be.  uhmmmmm.

Holly - maybe that's why halibut and cod are not part of any traditional sushi fare but salmon live in thesame parts and are given a clean bill of sushi/sashimi health by quick freezing before preparation.  In the old days, when I first went to Japan in the sixties, there was no salmon sushi at all due to the lack of freezing capacity.  That's okay though as I just survived another meal of delicious fugu puffer/ blowfish with its tetrodotoxin more deadly than cyanide when I was in Japan last month.  I just hope that cook I've been trusting so much over the years never retires, . . . or, if he does, it's not because of me. Smile.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

arf

MM #405

Tet - It looks pregnant.  Does it taste good?

Twocat - Does your wife like pasta?   Spaghetti or lasagna?

Tramps - Nitwit?  Big grinyou're a nut.   This is a Valentine poem dude.

................Steve P - how about :   lick it  and raging Wizard?

evanflein

Hi Heme! Sorry you're still having problems with PF, that's such a bear to deal with! Good to see you here, btw.

Holly, we frequently find worms of some sort in our halibut. Not lately, but every now and then there seems to be a rash of it. I've found it in restaurant fish even, and the second time at the same restaurant I sent a message to the state health department. They basically said that it's a natural wild food product, and as long as it's cooked appropriately, there is no risk to the consumer (other than the obvious ick factor). So... it's a fact of life and yeah, the reason you don't see halibut sushi. I think Salmon aren't as susceptible to the parasites, but not immune for sure.

Maine, great pictures, thanks! You do have a gorgeous home and a nice neighborhood. You obviously have some "wind exposure" with how clear some spots were and how drifted others were. Sure different from around here.

Rest day here. I'm feeling a wee bit burned out by winter, work, running, yadda, yadda, yadda. I'll get over it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Does it taste good?

it’s almost more of a cultural phenomenon than a gustatory treat for the taste buds. In fact, I rather eat halibut wor,.. ..  I mean sushi    Although they make mistakes every-once-in-a-while, all the fugu chefs in Japan are licensed by their respective prefectures and the dozen-and-a-half or so over here apparently have federal Food and Drug Administration licenses.  It was about $40 for a full fare sushi lunch in Japan in January but more than $200 for much less on the rare occasions it’s available at the only fugu chef’s restaurant in seattle (on lower queen anne hill by the seattle center start/finish of the seattle marathon)

Yep, those're thinly sliced, translucent fugu slices.  inciddentally, the meat is usually not that poisonous, it's the little pieces of chopped-up, tongue-tingling, toxic pieces of liver that's mixed with the wasabi in the dipping soy sauce that usually causes problems.

File:Fugu sashimi.jpg

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)