Masters Running

The Wednesday Daily, 9.19.12 (Read 392 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

"Jay,  If you were in Skaneateles, you were on Skaneateles Lake....and it is a wonderfully charming little town...glad you enjoyed yourself." Liz is absolutely right. Cayuga Lake was where we had lunch at a vineyard on Sunday. 

We didn't get the worst of the storm that roared through northern New England last night, but still got a fair amount of rain and wind. However, by the time I headed out this morning (4:45 - I'm having a tough time getting back to the usual 4am wake-up), there was little wind, and just tree-drip and a gentle mist. It was quite warm (68F), but cooler by the water, where the breeze was picking up the cooler water temp. Because I was late, I went just a quick 3.4 racewalking miles.I had on my brand-spanking-new Mizuno Musha, and they felt great. But I've been wearing Mushas for the last 3 years, so I knew what to expect. That 68F will have been the high temp for today, as a cool front comes in later. There are freeze warnings for the northern part of the state for tonight - yikes!

I spent yesterday trying to catch up with what I missed for the few days we were away, and am still not there yet. So today's going to be another very busy day.

Enjoy!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

If you haven't read WildChild's excellent race report do yourself a favor and do so.  I got a chuckle out of where she mentioned the town of "Buena Vista, Colorado, which is pronounced “Byoona Vista” by the locals, or “Byoonie” for short."

It's funny how people mispronounce some places oddly.  Here in South Florida there is a city that is pronounced "Boca Ra-Tone", not "Boca Ra-ton".  If you pronounce it that way we know you're either a snow bird or a "feraner".

And there is the Schuylkill River in Pennsylvania, which is locally pronounced the "Skoo-kull", not "Skoy-L-Kill" or "Sky-Kill" as I did once.  Once once.  Big grin

20 miles on the Yellow Streak this morning.  Tried to go faster but actually ended up going slower than I rode on Monday.  Oh well.  Someday I'll learn how to ride.

Packing later and headed off tomorrow for a quick trip to Barcelona.  They hold a bunch of Festivals throughout the year there.  (They love to party!)  But this weekend is the biggest and best one of the entire year.  The Barcelona Le Merce Festival.  Can't wait.  Anyone speak Catalan?

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Portsmouth NH. It's not pronounced by the locals as it appears it should be.

8.4 star lit miles this morning.

Dave59

The stars were bright this morning.  No moon in the sky (at least that I saw.)  I wasn't running though, just taking the trash down to the road.  My stomach issues are causing too much discomfort so I am going to take at least today off.  I felt pretty bad after yesterday's short 3 mile run. 

Like the rest of the north-east that storm did some damage around here.  Mostly just a lot of wind.  But that was enough to knock branches down all over.  Fortunately, overall it was not too bad and unlike some storms that have come through most people retained power.  Not my bank mind you!  When I went over to take care of some (fortunately minor) business they were closed having lost their power.  If it had to happen while I wanted to get something done today was the day!  Looking around they should be back up soon.

Busy day for me today so yet again I need to apologize for the lack of shout outs.  Off to DC today and will not return home until very late Friday night.  Dead  Per my Sunday pledge to stay off my feet for a week no running or elliptical for me today or until Sunday.  The good news is my ankle feels fine again.  But I am not going to give in to temptation.  Maybe I am paranoid, but I figure better that than risk going out too soon and leaving my ankle in some half healed condition.  Now back to work.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Packing later and headed off tomorrow for a quick trip to Barcelona.  They hold a bunch of Festivals throughout the year there.  (They love to party!)  But this weekend is the biggest and best one of the entire year.  The Barcelona Le Merce Festival.  Can't wait.  Anyone speak Catalan?

Bill

Nope, but I have a lot of relatives there! In fact, my cousin was mentioning to me about this festival. Enjoy your trip and have a blast in La Rambla. 

No running today, but I did some serious weight lifting and leg strengthening at the gym last nite. I want a lean and well toned body come December.Wink..

This morning my problem is to decide if I am going to keep buying bird food for the birds all winter long or if I am going to let them fly south...decisions, decisions.

Holly, are you all recovered from your trip?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

Bill

I once spoke catalan. picked it up very easily actually. My parents just returned from a couple wks in Barcelona and loved it. it's been many many yrs since I've been there - I was in college when I spent time studying abroad in Spain.  Enjoy your trip!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I want a lean and well toned body come December.Wink..

Maybe do it for November too while you're at it?, . . . or are you going somewhere where someone'll see you?

I recovered from the 5:36 in the July Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon right away but am still sore from Sunday's 6:05.

sorry, another nonrunning post to bide the time pending posting of some Equinox RR's along with photos/photos/and more photos, 3yo grandson from up North fearlessly without hesitation jumped in his first lake yesterday and, floating around on his plastic fish-life-ring, was loving it so much splashing,around to get me to go as deep as I could walk out on the bottom laughing and quacking at the ducks, I explained to a couple standing up their chests watching his ebullience that he was having so much fun because he was just down from a rainy summer in  Alaska. They said, "actually, it looks like you are  having even more fun."   I think I may do this year's triathlon after all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Well, we're back from our week in Maine, where we enjoyed nothing but bright sunshine and unusually warm weather the whole time -- a real great vacation! I hope you've all behaved yourselves while I was gone. Some highlights of the trip:

- Drove through the Adirondacks and across Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, all on 2-lane highways.

- Watched seals in the Lubec, ME straits right from our room.

- Did a sunrise run in Lubec. Since it's the easternmost point in the U.S., I was one of the first to see it rise that day!

- Hiked, climbed a rocky mountain, and cycled in Acadia Natl Park.

- Ran the Shore Path in Bar Harbor on a warm, foggy morning.

- Toured the Bath Iron Works and saw them making the latest high-tech Navy destroyer.

- Ate some great meals (no lobster, thank you!) along the way and stayed in some nice hotels.

When I got back on Monday, I realized how little time I had to get ready for a HM a week from Sunday. So today I did an easy 7-miler and Friday I'll try to get in a slow 12 miles or so. I was OK for my 10-miler a few weeks ago, but adding 3 miles to that distance will be a lot more effort.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sounds like a wonderful vacation, Roch, except for the lack of lobster. Wink

DH and I are planning another chowder tour of Cape Cod in a couple of weeks.

Don't think you have to worry about keeping the birds from flying south, Mari.  Those that are inclined to go will go anyway.  Other birds will still want to eat.  I feed all year 'round and the clientele just changes with the season.

3 mile pre-run today for our United Way 5K next week.  Am getting worried that we're going to get a low turnout, as compared to last year.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Yummm, lobster!

5.1 miles, the first two miles in the dark, like, man, it was still nighttime!  I've been having problems getting dressed in the dark too.  A few days ago I put my Garmin on, and it didn't fit right, the strap wasn't long enough and it was hurting my wrist.  After a few attempts to put it on, I realized the charger was still attached to it!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Hello!  Only a moment to post, so I'll just do a fly-by and read later....

7 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 40 degrees (ave pace 10:27).  Nothing hurt!  Very nice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am catching up on posts from the last week:

Holly and Erika, wow, those pictures are gorgeous!  Stop making us all jealous and stuff, ok?  Your DH Erika, sounds like a gem.

Wildchild, I saw that profile, and the elevation.  Good God, I don't know how you do it.  Still need to read your RR.

Steve, your post on Sunday was very heart-warming, I loved it.  What a great bunch of people.

Starr, fantastic job on your first race in 6 years.  If ever a race ran by my house, I can't imagine not running it.  But since I live on a dead-end street, that is not likely to happen.  I could tell how excited you were by the whole thing and now you have a HM to look forward to!

Tramps, did you make a decision about Boston?  I hope your awesome weather continues.  I love crickets, that is the sound I play on my sound machine every night to lull me to sleep.

Tet, you never cease to amaze me, but now I am just as amazed by your protege.  To do a marathon with no training, I'm speechless.

OM - Good job on getting that LR done.  I am jealous that you can find all these running partners.  I have often seen (separately) 2 women out on the streets in the early morning, and they seem to run about the same pace as me.  I really need to do move than say hi next time, like turn around and run with them for a bit.

Mariposai, it is so nice that your sons and DH now are runners!  Is there any chance I will get to meet those lovely young men in October, or gasp, even get to run with them?

Twocat, post a race report!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I, too, feel bad that I don't spend anytime praising everybody's efforts on here.  It's this dang job thing...it's just wearing me out.

Anyway--I managed 10.4 miles in 1:20:08.  Even though it was 71o I went out with a shirt on because it felt cool with a 26 mph wind.  3 miles into it--with the wind at my back--I was kicking myself for wearing it.  On the way back--into the wind--and the sun going down--I was happy I had it.

Okay--that's it.  Gotta go.  See ya!

enkephalin a relay race report?  What happened to what happens in the van stays in the van?  Wink

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/