Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 6.28.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (3.1 drizzly miles + 2.1 post-work interval TM miles)

PBJ (7 "build a base" miles + spinerooni)

Tramps (knee/hip exercises + core work +2.5 miles)

Stumpy (just under 4 humid but cool miles, slower than it felt)

Pfriese (8 EZ morning miles)

BerthaSlayer (8 miles with 1 Bertha + 1 pushup)

Dave (2 morning miles)

Holly (6.5 miles with blister in 52° temps)

Flats (8.86 miles with SPF 30 under clear blue skies)

Spacityrunner (3.3 EZ sunset miles around the workplace in dry 80°Wink

Mariposai (4 solo (Twocatless) miles on the Clinic route)

StarrRuns (3 morning miles before finding a good spot for her beach chair)

Sounds like RunnerKSA and Tet might have had some of the same historic running gear.

Thanks for the explanation of trimming the Christmas trees, PBJ. I really like those old lights...

Tramps, our house was built in '64, when this was a new street, and before town water was available on the street. Owners before us could have since switched to town water, but no one did. Someone along the way did switch us from septic to town sewer, which is fine with me. Good luck with the MRI, when you get it scheduled.

Great shot, Twocat. Good luck at the conference.

Interesting comments about a meet-up at WaWa. Can't say I know enough about 'em to comment either way.

I'll bet you'll have a better run, and push-up, today, BerthaSlayer.

Welcome back, Dave. You've been busy! Sorry about the Midland flood.

Sorry about the ongoing blister saga, Holly. But as long as it's not infected, and you don't keep beating it up, it'll heal.

Can't wait to read Tomwhite's biathalon saga. And to find out what else he found to de-fizz.

You sure live in a beautiful part of the country, Mariposai!

Thanks for the intro to the autobiography, Tet. Can't wait to read the rest!

Sounds like a long, busy, good day, StarrRuns. Wireless Bluetooth speakers are great! We have one from Harmon-Kardon that we can put in a pocket but it has great sound.

Our Conservation Commission meeting last night went 3 hours, so I didn't get home till well past my bed time. SO this was another sleep-in morning, with just stretches and exercises instead of a walk around the neighborhood.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

I had no idea there were Wawa fans. Perhaps today’s topic should be the culinary delights at 7-Eleven.

Twocatindependent gas station/food joints are a totally different matter. I get those.

Lori—it’s funny, since it had a logo with a Canada goose on it (I think) I used to think Wawa was a Canadian company named after the Ontario city. It’s not.  It’s named after a small town in Pennsylvania.

Thanks, Jay.  I figured wells wouldn't be the norm there.

Dave—welcome back from the road trip.

Mariposai’s photos have given me wanderlust for a PNW excursion.  Beautiful.

Bike search is ongoing, skimming through Craig’s list, etc. Nothing yet.  This could take a while.

Tet— Don’t sell yourself short.  There’s skiing in there.  Lots of international travel. Backcountry adventures.  Police stops. Who knows what else!

Starr—sounds like some nice relaxing time for you and the family.

Cautionary reminder from an ultrarunner about the importance of wearing sunscreen. (Warning: gross photo.)

We have a red-tailed hawk nesting in our backyard.  That’s cool but, apparently (according to the article I found online), during nesting season (now) the female and chicks squawk incessantly, calling to the male that is hunting for food. [Insert sexist joke here.] Wow, that gets annoying after a while. It was so loud yesterday that they chased me off my screen porch where I often take my laptop to work.  I’m reminded of it because it just started up again.  Must be time for breakfast.

Our third gloriously cool and dry morning in a row.  All good things come to an end, though.  We’re back in the soup starting tomorrow.

I took a break from exercises and core work today and just did 3 EZ miles.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Henry - you really need to run around the Gettysburg battlefields.  Especially if it's a foggy dawn (which it usually is).  It's simultaneously inspiring and chilling. So many brave, young lives lost.

As for me - I guess I shouldn't pre-post anymore.  I did not go 7 build a base miles plus spinnerooni yesterday.  Went 12 on the TM at 9 pm instead.  Amazing how many people were still in the gym at that time.

WaWa is sort of a cult thing, especially to those of us who don't have easy access!

2.4 miles because I didn't get up early enough for more.  That's OK.  It's something.    2.2 treadmill miles after work.

Yeah- back in our day there weren't tons of choices for running gear- and there wasn't the internet for ordering!  You were at the mercy of what your local running store could get.  Frank Shorter had a line, Bill Rodgers, Moss Brown (early Gortex which was like a plastic bag with no breathability), striped short shorts by Dolphin.    Sorry for the trip down memory lane!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

Henry - you really need to run around the Gettysburg battlefields.  Especially if it's a foggy dawn (which it usually is).  It's simultaneously inspiring and chilling. So many brave, young lives lost.

We did a short run at 7 am near Cemetery Hill with longer planned for tomorrow morning when we have time.  We're doing the car tour in about one hour.  I would now put Gettysburg on the 'must do' list.  We ended up here by chance (stopping between Henry's DD and my cousin and home), but PBJ said it right - inspiring and chilling.  and not ticky tacky as so many historical areas are.

more when we 're home - i'm way behind on activities, so ketchup is not going to happen.

Have great runs, walks, swims, bikes, etc, marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We did a short run at 7 am near Cemetery Hill with longer planned for tomorrow morning when we have time.  We're doing the car tour in about one hour.  I would now put Gettysburg on the 'must do' list.  We ended up here by chance (stopping between Henry's DD and my cousin and home), but PBJ said it right - inspiring and chilling.  and not ticky tacky as so many historical areas are.

more when we're home - i'm way behind on activities, so ketchup is not going to happen.

Have great runs, walks, swims, bikes, etc, marj

Me, too, on the must do list.  It's actually a must do again list, as we took the kids on a camping trip there many moons ago.  Not a big civil war buff or believer in supernatural, or anything like that, but yes, inspiring and chilling does really cover it.  It really is hallowed ground.

I ran on the track team my senior year ('73) and used early Nike flats.  Absolutely loved them, but they didn't hold up worth a damn. They would always blow out around the edges. No cushioning, but so comfortable.  Maybe that's why I like my boat shoes so much these days.

we had tickets to Sox game last night, but a couple of major T'storms blew through.  So hour delay to start and then another 2 hour + after third inning.  DW, friends, and I finally bailed when it looked like there was at least another hour of rain.  made it home in time to watch a couple of innings after restart, but game ended well after midnight, so am counting that as a good decision.

BTW, no run this morning

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

I slept in this morning & by the time I got up it was almost 80. With the h&h, I only ran 5 miles this morning.

Paul

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Thanks Jay. Yes I did have a somewhat better run today (6 miles) and my pushup was much improved. Still not a full one however.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

My favorite shoes from way back when were Brooks Huggers.  They had some sort of wrap around lacing thing that probably did absolutely nothing!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA – I don’t mind the ads that pop up related to some topic I’ve posted ‘cause I’m obviously interested in it. However, I’ve never gotten any shoe ads, . . . until reading your rendition of Brooks Huggers, . . . and seeing a shoe ad right above it (Nike though).  Incidentally, of the four pair I purchased from 1977 – 1990 when I realized my kind of runner doesn’t need any, after all, my second pair of running shoes after the original Nike waffle stompers were blue Brooks Vantage

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

I couldn't find my Garmin before my run, so I went and did a 12.1 mile trail loop at a local park that I've done before.  But does it really count if I have no record of it???

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

63F

4 running miles in IRC

Same beautiful morning as Tramps albeit a bit south and east. This was my first run in a few weeks. I have not been running consistently. I do walk or run 3-5 miles at least 4 days a week. Mostly walking. Today. After the run and after some breakfast. King Leonidas and I walked close to 2 miles in the swamp. The water is low and the mud smelled earthy and fresh on this glorious morning.

A didn't know that Wawa was a cult thing?  Good thing I usually go to 0700 mass prior to going to Wawa for a cup of coffee and the Post.

Although. I have discovered The Coffee Gator and Pour Over Coffee and so prefer to make my own coffee now!  Tastes so much better.

However, Wawa will always make a better hoagie.

Tramps, I will try to g-chat with you sometime to coordinate a meet up. It will be on a Thursday and I will be headed home. On Tuesdays, I have to be on duty at 0800. Perhaps we can meet up after the Alaska trip? I should be more interesting after traveling the wide world.

Henry and Marj!  I used to work in Wheeling, West by God Virginia!  Back in 1989-90, I worked in labor and delivery at Wheeling Hospital.

I have never toured Gettysburg but, I really want to do that. I have been to Antietam a couple times. It is a solemn journey back into a tragic period in our American history. My first visit to Antietam was eye-opening, enlightening, dare I say, life changing. And the second trip was equally moving.

Well, the Tribe is playing Texas for the third night in a row. Monday's game was one of the best I have ever seen. Last night? I fell asleep and woke up to a score of 2-1. We were on the wrong side of the 2.

Run well, be well, dear old and new friends.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

tetsujin-  Do you run barefoot?     I'm a shoe whore.  I try a bunch of shoes and trade them out at pretty low mileage.  In my defense, I wear the outer left forefoot pretty badly.  I use a lot of Shoe Goo.  

spacityrunner

RosieBarb, so good to see you posting!  Have fun in Alaska.

5 miles on West mountain.  87f, but a nice breeze made it bearable.  the run leader had a very creative route for us, and it was fun but hard!  1:20 16 m/m.  I was toasted at the end.  But loved every minute of it.  Trail running rocks!

Trails Rock!

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 at lunch

20 mile ride after work

Humidity and storms return tomorrow

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18