Masters Running

Friday, June 2 daily (Read 33 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

I was very near the Kanawha Trace Trail which runs 30+ miles.  Good thing I didn't hit that and make a wrong turn or I'd be lost forever.

No doubt!

Re: the drug epidemics - I was at a meeting recently where the Montgomery County Sheriff talked about how bad it is in our area - not just the prescribed opioids but the illegal trafficking of opioids and heroin.  Living near the "Crossroads of America" I75-I70 interchange means we are in a high traffic area apparently for drug traffickers.  He said that Mexican cartels send people in cars up from the south and meet people at the hotels near the I70 interchange.  Also, he said that there are newer, stronger pharmaceuticals on the street now, some of which can be ordered from overseas because they are too new to be regulated yet, and the daily overdose count is massive just in this county.  Scary stuff all around.

I headed out at 6:30 am for my LR and got in 17.6 miles, 54 at the start and 74 at the finish, with the rising sun heating things up quickly.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Jlynne – congrats on your retirement!!! Woo hoo!

Posie and Twocat, good luck at the Cork marathon – sounds like a wonderful destination race.

Erika – a wine tasting riverboat trip sounds fun!

Cat – very sorry about your DW1.

Dave59 – exploring new trails is lots of fun! Sometimes they’re muddy and rocky, but sometimes you discover a real gem!

Nice long run, Holly!

I ran 9 miles, hoping to finish before the afternoon showers started, but I got kind of wet the last 2 miles. Tomorrow I’m volunteering at a local trail ultra race called the Dirty 30 in Golden Gate Canyon State Park. I run there all the time, so I have no interest in paying to run a race there, but I figured I should volunteer since I live so close. The RD wants me there to work packet pickup at 4:30 am!!! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Ha! I can’t believe that Posai ratted twocat out on running in the rain!  Dave, doesn’t your Garmin GPS have a map function with a breadcrumb trail? Next time bring some real bread with you.

MrStarr and I watch a few series on TV but once I sit down after supper I tend to fall asleep promptly. We watch “24” and now will start the Genius series tonight.  We rarely rent movies but instead borrow DVD’s from the library network.  I was surprised how many of the Oscar nominated films were available. I had “Hell or High Water” and “Moonlight” on hold and just picked them up.

I have been walking most days on my lunch hour, breaks from work and today before work even. The carp are spawning in the shallows waters near the shore and quite fun to watch. Those fish are huge and it makes me think twice about getting in the lake. This morning while walking on “The Grade” they were making all kinds of noise in the weeds in Mudhole Bay but I couldn’t see them. At least they scared the geese away. It was unusual to see two pelicans over there today. Usually they just stop on their migrating route during the spring and fall.

Anyway, I have been walking instead of running since I did a number on my leg when I stumbled and landed on the brick half wall last Saturday. My ankle is purple on both sides and my shin is still swollen up like a goose egg. I tried to take a picture but it really makes my leg look fat. I still think it is a hematoma (self-diagnosed)  but won’t go to the doctor unless it really starts to bother me. I do have a physical on June 13th so will see what he says then.

Good luck Mariposai and Twocat in the marathon tomorrow. What fun you all must be having! I do hope for a dry, overcast day.

Yeah! Jlynne’s retired! Happy days for you… time for golf and running and spending time with the grandkids!  Yippee!  I have no idea what covfefe is…..

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Congratulations, jlynne!     Good luck marathoners!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I was on the edge of my seat reading Dave's story...I wasn't sure if he was going to find his way home, or not....whew!

I have been trying to ignore all the drug talk.  Prescription drugs are what killed my sister.  I knew something was wrong and did nothing.

It's 90 dang degrees!  I had no idea it was supposed to be this warm, today.  I wish I could go run in it, but I'm on an every-other-day thing for right now.  I was supposed to go over and mow Eric's lawn, but he's not answering his phone and I can't load and unload the mower without his help.  Oh, well...I didn't feel like doing it anyway.

It's going to be another busy weekend...dance recitals, car washes, graduation parties, and, of course, that dang lawn.

Okay--I guess that's about all I've got.  See ya!

Oh...did Jlynne retire?  You would have thought she would have said something about it...

flats

turtle runner eximious

Seeing how it's National Donut Day, I'm ran about 4.1 donut calories tonight

Mariposai, have a great race

Michael

evanflein

Congrats on being officially retired, Jlynne! Let's hope it "sticks" this time!

Mike, don't beat yourself up about your sister. Others probably knew as well, and yet... And have Eric mow his own damn lawn. Offer to help loading and unloading the mower.

4:30 arrival means an even earlier wake up. That RD counts on dedicated volunteers! I think I'd try for something at the finish.

Boy, I sound kind of cranky today, don't I! Ha, well, it's a beautiful day and I spent most of it inside. At least I got out for 5.2 easy miles in the sunshine this afternoon.

Ok, time to get ready for that damn boat ride. Oh yeah, there's wine. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike, don't beat yourself up about your sister. Others probably knew as well, and yet... And have Eric mow his own damn lawn. Offer to help loading and unloading the mower.

+2

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."