Masters Running

Thursday, 11.12.15 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

TW, how fast do you have to go to catch a cold? I'd slow down if I were you... 

Great shot of you, the fish and fish guy, Leslie. All 3 of you have nice teeth, but the fish wins on sharpness.

Starr - why not run if you are up early? It's a great way to start the day, and to get your workout done before most of the rest of the world wakes up. Thanks for the video of New England in the Fall. I love this part of the country any time of the year, but when the leaves are in full color, it can and does lift your soul.

Nice slog, Ribs, and nice nap forecast too!

Nice Veteran's Day race for you and DH, Aamos.

Nice runs, Tselbes, Holly, and Mariposai.

Before-school detention? Oops!

Someone said they need new gloves a few days ago. I swear by my Saucony mittens (http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Saucony_Run_Mitt/descpage-SRM14.html). My hands get cold too easily, and the mittens work in all but near or below-zero weather. The mittens are lined, lightweight and very comfortable.

I have too much to check-off today, so I'm just going to have to keep my head down and plow through it. This evening, I have to go to the budget committee meeting to discuss our budget for 2016. We gave our one employee a mid-year raise because she hasn't had an increase since '13 because the voters didn't approve the budget the last 2 years - the budcom is going to beat the carp out of me over that. I did what I needed to do, and it was the only option I had, so let the budcom take their best shot.

I have a 5:40 flight to our trade conference in New Orleans tomorrow morning. I have to get to the airport an hour early, and it takes about an hour to get there. So I'll be getting up at about 2:45 - just a little before my regular time...

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Enjoy New Orleans, Jay.  Whenever you become conscious enough to, anyway.

Good thoughts and wishes from here to LaT and DH.

Finally made it out to run this morning.  Tuesday, I just rolled over, Wednesday it was pouring, today, I couldn't come up with anything binding.  3.8 miles around the lake.  WArmer than predicted at 46°F, sl almost over dressed.  enjoying the warmish November so far--still rocking the shorts and haven't even gotten the heavy weather gear unpacked yet.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hope you get some warmish weather, Jay, and can get out to enjoy it.

Just 5 for me, and it was so pretty at Lakes Park this am.   Why is it so special to see the sun rise over a body of water, even a small lake or stream?

Oh, Ribs, I am the poster girl for the "Trendelendburg Gait" at the end of some marathons.  It looks awful but doesn't hurt.  It does, however, slow you down, as leaning to one side is not a very aerodynamic way to run!

I like having Wednesday off.  Wish we could do that more often.  Had time to make butternut squash risotto with Cajun spiced shrimp.  Now my 3-4 servings of shrimp will go 6-8 servings .    Used a little blue cheese, too.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, I was thrilled to read that you share my ineptitude for running trails. I thought I was the only one who stinks at it. And my friends tease me about it too.

I ran the Cedar Ridge Preserve 10K a few weeks ago and my knees still hurt from it. Climbing the steep hills wasn't bad, but trying to brake on the equally steep downhills I think did me in.  So today as a recovery run from yesterday's 8, I decided to walk/jog alternate quarters for just over 3 miles and my knees were killing me after I finished.  Ran the quarters at 2 minutes each, which is now quick for me.  100% chance of an easy day for me tomorrow.   Spareribs

Hi friends - trying to play ketchup as usual!!

Marj - so sorry to hear about your cracked rib. I didn't have anything broken, but my ribs/sternum still not the same from my fall in Sept. Deep breaths, lifting anything heavy (especially epiduralized legs) and any pressure on my sternum is still sore - hope you are a better patient than I and you heal quickly!!

LaT - thanks for keeping us posted here and on FB. Keeping you both in my prayers.

Leslie - great photos!!

WC - as always your running pics are beautiful!! I am just a horrible trail runner and since my fall think I am even more nervous about my footing.

Enke - how did your beet brownies come out? would love to try that recipe -- thinking of black bean brownies today and soup - either veggie or lentil!

Jay - I had friends run Seacoast and as usual great reviews!! Any word on that hit and run driver?

running - oh ya, ran 5.5 before work on Monday but nothing since. Spending the day today with my little princess - amazing how long Play-Doh can keep her entertained

denise

It's a Runner's World recipe.  They taste kind of beety, but so good!  I think they'd be even better with a little chocolate icing on top.  Scroll down the link a bit to find them.

Red Velvet Brownies

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

That's early, Jay!  Hope you get some snooze time on the plane.  I can't sleep on planes, which worked me on our trip both ways.

Yes, downhill on trails definitely works the legs and knees, even when you're used to it.

Speaking of trails, Carolyn, have you looked into this race? (Or have you already run this??)

4 miles this a.m. with Mile 2 a little faster while paying attention to form and breathing.  Coach wanted to get a base line so we can see how things progress over the next few months.

Our computer system at work was down for half the morning.  There was a lot of office cleaning going on around this place!

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Thanks for all the good wishes folks - Day One is done, we have Day Two tomorrow, and then home - we will know next week if John will get treated here or not.

Nancy - you are dedicating every run for my sweetie - wow!

Running - brought all the goods, except shoes - will it look silly if I take a little jaunt in my bedroom slippers???

Love Leslie's elephant photo!!! Amazing creatures they are.

Enke - beet brownies are sneaky - and yet so smart

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

wildchild

Carolyn

Speaking of trails, Carolyn, have you looked into this race? (Or have you already run this??)

I've heard good things about all the Ultra Adventure races!  The only one I've done is Monument Valley in Arizona.  I went on a group trail run in Bryce Canyon National Park this spring, and had a blast.  The race is not in the national park (race directors cannot get permits in NPs) but it's just outside the park in some remote beautiful country.  I'm actually thinking about doing their race in Zion next year!

We got a bunch more snow yesterday, so I just went for a walk with DH and the D dogs, but today the sun is shining and I think I'll lace up my screw shoes and go for a run.  Happy trails, everyone!

Oh, and here's a race picture from Moab, taken at the first fixed rope section at mile 23-ish.  Does this look like mile 23 of any marathon you've ever done???

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - do you ever sleep in?

Carolyn - Love the picture!  I remember getting to that point where I had to climb up using that rope and I thought, "Seriously?  You want me to do this NOW?" 

P90X Legs and Back for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

That looks hard, Carolyn, but very satisfying. I hope I get to see that landscape in person some day, though I am not sure I will ever be up to running a marathon in it...

Aamos, I liked having Wednesday off, too! I had time to bake apples with rum for a mid-week dessert, and then some pumpkin that I froze to use for pies this holiday season.

LaT, too bad about the shoes! Not sure about the slippers--I think maybe settling for a walk might be your best bet.

With all the talk about injured butts here lately, I've been thinking I should get myself a foam roller. There are plenty available on line, but  I have no idea how to pick a good one. Any advice?

This morning I did a 4 outside, then came in to wake BF up, then downstairs to the treadmill for a last mile to get my 5 total.

I am not going to try and pretend to catch up today or with yesterday. It has been a long two days. My MIL was ordered into the hospital for cardiac surgery forthwith. She went in yesterday. I spent the evening with DW, her siblings and my MIL at an emergency room cot where they had her parked for the day and night due to a lack of open rooms. Today is surgery day. She went in about 5 hours ago and still no word. My DW and her siblings are in a panic. I am rather worried too at this point. Those who know me know I am not a worrier. I wish they would give updates. 

This morning I manged to get out for 8 miles in some damp weather with an occasional drizzle. It might have been the day's highlight.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

I'm sorry to hear that Twocat...this must be so tough on your wife.

Wild...if I got to mile 23 of a marathon and saw that I had to climb that thing, I would have just sat down and cried.

There is a lot of crap going on around here.  Tonight, I am spending the night at Eric's to make sure none of his drug addict friends show up.  I really thought that when I got into my late 50's I would be able to enjoy a nice easy life...hah!

Okay--I'll leave you all alone.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

In the days I could do it, I've raced up slopes so steep

they're hand-over-hand but never one with a rope

<<<(envious/envious)>>>

good luck mike.

that's what happens when  you're a nice guy with so love in your heart.

There should be more like you.

<<<(la turtle’s DH / 2C’s MIL / TW)>>>
                              I’ll join mariposai and dedicate Saturday’s 26.2 miles third in a row too.
                              There’s a storm and flood warning for the weekend but I won’t even notice.
                              wow, zigs.  I had to look that tigerfish up.
                              For more than half-a-century, 54 years to be exact

when I first learned about them, I always thought

that salmon and trout along pirahnas/tetras

were the only fish species with adipose fins.

ps - if you can stay awake for ___? hours from Zimbabwe

to Europe to the states, any 35-40 hour or more century runs'll be a cinch.

Unfortunately, I fall asleep in both.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

The final word is not good. My MIL passed away. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/