Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 8.12.17 (Read 31 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Paul--I am truly impressed that you can ride that far.  It is amazing.

Good luck, tomorrow, Jay!

Just in case nobody else comments on it, stumpy--that was a good one.

All that work and you couldn't get it, Holly?!  You must have been ticked.

I went 12 miles, today.  I tried so hard not to go out too fast but I just couldn't slow down....until it was too late and I had no choice...then struggled to finish.  I just don't want to hurt myself.  My right heel is already starting to feel a little tender.

Well...my brother-in-law passed away at about 1:00, today.  His daughter, son, and grandson were with him...which is all he wanted.  It sounds like he had a pretty rough night, last night...not knowing who anybody was and yelling at them all.  Until then, he was doing pretty well.  I hope they only remember the "doing well" part.

Okay--I'd better go.  See ya.

I'm so sorry, Mike.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

spacityrunner

{{Mike}}

2.5 miles around the hood at sunset.  30 min.  sweaty.  1 bunny, 1 deer.  not much else happening.

Trails Rock!

evanflein

Erika, would Peter like some company? One way I could actually get up there, but getting back could be a problem!

You know, that's something we didn't even think about. I'm sure he'd love the company! But then again, he's planning on sleeping in the car at least one night (through Yukon Territory) so it could get pretty cozy.

Holly, yes, he's done the trip a few times, as have many of us who've lived here many years. It's a beautiful trip, although there's probably still a lot of motorhome traffic on it now. DH is convinced they're all headed south by now so not a problem. Ha, we'll see.

I did my long run today, as planned, and I didn't pull a Mike E, either! I usually do, btw. Goal was steady easy pacing, with few to no stops (ok, I knew the "no stops" wasn't going to happen, but drastically reduced from normal) and few walk breaks but take 'em if I needed to. So, it worked! Steady pace and focused on relaxing as much as possible. There's a really big hill from 2.5 to 3 and I usually have to stop at least once to catch my breath, but not today! Kept it steady and short strides, and made it up with an 8:51 pace for that mile. To show the difference, usually when I stop and rest, I end up with 8:35 or so on that mile, so I really did slow down and it made all the difference. No walk breaks till the next big steep hill by the power plant on campus (15 seconds only) and then the first stop at a traffic light at 12.8 miles. Yes, I was really keeping this close track on all this because stopping to rest is a bad, bad habit I've gotten into. My last two races (16.3 miles and 13.1 miles) showed I really have a problem with going out too fast and I lack endurance to keep going. I had to walk a bit in the last mile or so because of tour bus traffic (Princess and another big local hotel nearby), but picked it up again and made it to the airport to retrieve the truck, and I felt like I could've kept going. Especially if I had a drink, which I didn't. So, used the change from the $20 DH left behind for the parking pass and bought chocolate milk and iced green tea from Safeway on the way home.  He's fine with it, really.

16.1 miles, 8:37 avg pace, 92 seconds of "stop" time (including the traffic light) and 4 short (15 seconds) walk breaks. Yay.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Paul!!!!

Doug - maybe you could ride Paul's bike back

After today, I could probably do 14 miles, ...  but I doubt it.

GETTING LOST

About all my Marathon Maniac friends and others who've been running their hundreds of marathons over the years have invariably gotten off-course or lost now-and-then.  In the last 41 years, me too. However, in 40 years of triathlons, I've never gotten lost on any of my many usually well-marked and monitored triathlon courses I've enjoyed doing, . . . until today's multiple misses on the swim, bike and run courses.

. . . (1) fogging up and getting seriously off-course

. . . . . . in the otherwise elementary quarter-mile

. . . . . . super-sprint swim,

. . . (2) missing the first turn on the 14-mile bike course

. . . . . . that took an extra mile to get back, and

. . . (3) mistakenly continuing on past the final turn

. . . . . . turn to the 5K finish and doing the final 2.5K

. . . . . . out-and-back of the Olympic 10K.

Other than that, or maybe because of it, I had a wonderful time getting a lot of good extra exercise this morning that I could never do on my own initiative, plus I got to pretend that I can still swim, run and bike year-after-year without any training, albeit barely, if at all.  whew.

ps Erika - make sure Peter watches out for the bears that seem to always have been there for our favorite stop at the Liard Hot Springs.

do sorry, Mike.

sounds like a powerful eulogy lessor for us all might be in order.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet-well done!

Erika-I know what you mean about the walk break habit-I have really gotten into this lately and need to break it.

{{{Mike and family}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well done, Tet.  You got more for your money!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth