Masters Running

Stonewall Jackson 20-Mile Ambulance Run RR (Read 262 times)

Renee the dog

First of all, I think you have a lot of guts running a race with a name that has an historical tie like that. I'd probably be too superstitious! So, you "won" in my book by just paying the entry fee. Secondly, way to score some prize -- free shoes is awesome! Thirdly, I think you should become the official spokesperson for Fig Newmans as running fuel. To have been sick, have a tricky stomach and have them work so well is truly notable. Finally, CONGRATULATIONS! Great job managing the race and reaching your goal! Awesome. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Good work, Tramps. A PR and nice schwag! This race should bolster your confidence for your marathon next month.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      TammyinGP

It was definitely YOUR day Tramps! A great race, you got a sweet PR and a free pair of shoes!! You scored! Congratulations Tramps. You are running so well right now and this was a pleasure to read!

Tammy

Hill Runner

Tramps...great race. You are reallly running well! Take it easy now and don't get injured.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tramps

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. DH— as I note, the pace chart is a little misleading because it’s based on my Garmin measuring 20.3 miles (which may or may not be the actual distance of this race, depending upon who you ask—it’s not certified). Assuming it’s actually a 20-mile race, my paces average 8:11; if it’s a 20.3 race, then I average 8:03—which, coincidentally, is exactly the time I’d need for a BQ. But, alas, I think that’s overly ambitious this time out; maybe next year. Those last 10K have always been a struggle for me. Tet—one of the things you get used to around here is that there are Civil War battlefields, field hospital sites, redoubts, etc, almost everywhere. It’s just a fact of life around here. Even some housing subdivisions are named after them (Artillery Ridge, etc).

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Beautiful weather? Huge PR? Free shoes? Doesn't get better than that. Great job!!!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great racing, Tramps Congrats on a huge PR and winning a pair of Mizunos in the process (they make some good ones). Good luck at Richmond
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  Magnificent run! I totally sympathize with the stomach issue--that's why I tote my own bottle in marathons, as I don't do well on different sports drinks. And even doing that, I can have trouble (as srlopez graphically noted in his Maui RR........ Embarrassedno you need not look it up, I 'lost my cookies" after crossing the finish line, and not at all the first or even second time I've done that). So, were you able to enjoy the homemade cookies afte the race? That's the true test Cool. You really look strong for your marathon, but I agree with your plan--except if you feel really strong at mile 16, maybe pick it up to 8s then, and if it still feels good at 20, hold on or even pick it up a bit more. Great report (rather gruesome bit about the arm, no?) grins, A ps: I'm curious about the MCM folks not running the race--I always thought it is standard in marathon training to run a 20 miler 2 weeks before the goal marathon and then 13 the week before, no?
                  Masters 2000 miles
                  Tramps

ps: I'm curious about the MCM folks not running the race--I always thought it is standard in marathon training to run a 20 miler 2 weeks before the goal marathon and then 13 the week before, no?
                    Hmmm...I think many people take a 3 week taper. So, say, a 20+ miler, 15, 13, race. And yes, I did have a tasty oatmeal cookie. Smile Warning to those without stomach problems: TMI. It's interesting that you have stomach issues and are able to run the amazing number of marathons that you do. For me, I never actually "lose my lunch" so to speak. It's more of a gag reflex that kicks in, often quickly and unexpectedly. (I have the exact same problem with strong smells, such as rotting garbage--one whiff and I'm gagging.) I can be feeling fine in terms of my legs and lungs and then, out of nowhere, bang, I'm retching. I have to slow down dramatically, take deep "belly" breaths, and slowly pick it up again. It's definitely the weak link in my chain and limits how hard I can push in races.

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Tramps, I'm so happy about how this turned out for you. I was worried too, you sounded so miserable the week before. Amazing I think that you ran so well, in spite of any after effects. Neat (& encouraging) to see how well your training has paid off. A great PR, & new shoes! congratulations!!