Masters Running

3.22.13 Friday (Hooray!) Daily (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

So sorry about the other knee, Lamerunner. I was also out on my Yaks on Tuesday, but was fortunate enough to not have any mishaps. I hope swimming and cycling are helping you stay in good physical and mental shape without doing more damage.

Tammy, I had a deep-tissue massage last Friday, and it was painful in a wonderful way, if that makes any sense. The massage therapist said I wouldn't be thinking good thoughts about her over the weekend. She was right, but I was a lot better by Sunday. Congrats to DS in his first 3000m!

Mike, is that the best you can do for a rant about a carpy time at work?Roll eyes

Greta news about your retirement, Marj! Is your next full-time job named Henry? Big grin

Robin, I hope when "the other shoe drops" it'll just be the next stride on a glorious run.

Nice TM workout, TomS.

Greta poem from the Writer's Almanac, Tramps - thanks for posting it.

Leslie, it's good that there are so many farewell activities for Karen, and that you'll see her again over the Spring and Summer.

Good luck at tomorrow's auction, Starr!

It's been a bit busy here: We lost power Tuesday night (home and office) for a few hours. Our local network at work has been down since then and our regular tech guy can't be found, so it's a mess. We're also rearranging the main floor of our office, so stuff is all over the place and productivity is, of course, down. We hope to have everyone relocated by the end of today. We're working on modifying the course for our fall half marathon because a bridge on the course will be closed for replacement for this year and next - there are, of course, no easy alternatives. The building inspector is coming this morning to take a look at the rough framing, plumbing and electrical work for a bathroom we're putting in a back building behind our house. I decided to turn down a donation to a non-profit for which I am the pres., not because we don't need the funds, but because in this situation it was the right thing to do. Orchestrating and explaining that was a bit tricky. I've still managed to get out for a few workouts, and went 5.6 racewalking miles this morning at 4:20: 29F, WNW breeze, and skies that looked like snow except that none was falling. I saw a nice fox (big bushy tail) and some other low-to-the-ground critter. It was nice to be out in the world, hearing little other than breathing and footsteps, and focusing on body parts rather than all kinds of other issues and problems.

Have a greta weekend, and wishing fleet feet and tailwinds to this weekend's racers.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

New skirt in town

5.8 easy miles this morning.  My left calf felt sort of twingey--seemingly unrelated to any exertion, though.  I still stopped my run short, foam rolled the area, iced and am now wearing an Ace wrap for the day with a slightly heeled shoe to reduce any strain there. We'll see how it feels tomorrow, but I'm not averse to pulling the plug on any run at this point if it don't feel right!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings all.  Hope your Fridays are peaceful and lead to a great weekend.

Congratulations Marj, on your pending retirement.  Planned a celebratory trip anywhere yet?

I still haven't heard from my cardiologist about what my stress test results mean, so just in case I do go to my half on Sunday, figured I'd do a nice gentle lake loop and keep the legs loose.  Overall I accomplished that, but my legs missed the memo for the first mile, when I looked and saw 9min pace.  Slowed down after that and no ill effects.

DW is coming home today (I think) after a prolonged visit with her DD.  It was supposed to be for a few days after he got out of the hospital.  That got delayed by several days and then on his first night home, he had additioanl symptoms and was back in for a few more days.  It has NOT been a restful visit, needless to say.  Her quote was "I spent a month in Rochester last week".

Jay--the donation wasn't from a Zumba studio, was it? Evil  And if you could rearrange the course to miss that hill at 12+ miles, I wouldn't be crushed.  (I do hope to do that half again.)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations Marj, on your pending retirement.  Planned a celebratory trip anywhere yet?

+1

No time to dawdle, since I'm on a computer at OSBA during a break in our seminar, but I will say I ran 4.3 miles yesterday morning, and did nothing at all, nada today.  Stayed at a budget motel that didn't have a fitness room and I didn't want to run in a strange area.

I did read yesterday's daily on my Kindle Fire, but couldn't figure out how to post.  I think my kids need to show me how to find the keyboard again...(sigh)

Back home tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Greta news about your retirement, Marj! Is your next full-time job named Henry? Big grin

Jay - I refuse to comment on this......Evil

Our first trip after retirement (before retirement we're off to Amsterdam and biking for a week) is to Canada - Montreal jazz festival, family in Toronto, and Stratford Shakespeare festival.

after that ??????

tried to run at 5 am this morning but i was too tired  - so instead biked in the freezing cold - hopefully warmer by the time i go home - to martoonis and packing for a 2 day trip to brooklyn for a Seder

marj

TammyinGP

Marj and Henry have, what I consider, such a idyllic life. Happy, in love, healthy, able to travel and really soak up the atmosphere of whereever they go.  Enjoy!

coastwalker, I know exactly what you mean about the painful wonderfulness of a deep tissue massage. When she got into my IT bands, it definitely hurt, but felt so good too. They were pretty tight so I'm glad I had them worked on a few days before my 20 miler (sunday).  I have another one scheduled in a couple wks.

will run an easy pace few miles after work tonight while waiting for david to finish up track. Coach asked him how close he was to the school record in the 3000m. He said 'not even close!" - record is 10:37.  David's time was 11:01. Coach winked and said "we'll get you there"

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

10:37 is certainly achievable given where he is now Tammy.

Happy retirement Marj.

Good call Robin.  Now is the time to be most cautious.  You're ready.

I don't know anything else, as I haven't gone back to read yesterday's stuff.  Just got home a couple of hours ago and unpacked, had a Jersey Mike's tuna sub for lunch and I think I will take a nap now.  Spareribs

Henrun

Jay - I refuse to comment on this......Evil

LOL-I've been told I'm a 'Piece of work'- but I don't know if that translates into full time work.

Decided today I needed to get ready for our bike tour. Been tough to cycle outdoors in our cruddy weather-so went to the Y for 40 minutes of indoor cycling- something I find as boring as indoor dreadmill running. But it has to be done until we get some warmth and no snow here.

Mariposai

Marj and Henry have, what I consider, such a idyllic life. Happy, in love, healthy, able to travel and really soak up the atmosphere of whereever they go.  Enjoy!

+1.

I am way behind my reading here and now is not the time to catch up since I am on my lunch break and I still need to finish eating and then take a nap Clown.

I did run 5 miles of hills last night and this morning I had 6 fantastic smiley miles!

Funny during my run today I ran by the hospital and I was the van of a TV station from Spokane, now they don't come to my neck of the woods that often, so I was curious to find out what was going on there. I guess a father was shot by a son (the dad is dead) and the son was shot by a police officer. The son is in critical condition, I guess.  Not much in the news, but I am sure we will hear about the story later.

Well off to nap, then to work. Tonight my DH and I are going to see a Colombian group perform. I am very excited about it!

if you like pina colada

and getting cut in the rain...

Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun I will add my congratulations on your retirement as well!

I just flipped through the last few dailies and all I can say is where did everybody go?  The last three are just one page long!  I hope this is just due to the arctic weather that seems to have descended on the lower 48.  Of course, it could be due to brief posts like this one.  I just got back from Ireland yesterday.  It was a long and busy trip.  Better that than long with a lot of sitting around and waiting!  My wards (23 students and 2 teaching assistants) seemed to like the trip as well as learn something about how businesses operate in Ireland.  If so, all is well.  I talked one of my students into posting on the trip blog write-ups that are, well, a bit off from those students on other trips posted extolling in the most over the tip language what a good time they were having.  If you want a laugh here is the link:  http://yalesomireland2013.blogspot.com/.  Just scroll down to the posts by Stephanie Hawkins.

Last night I collapsed at 8pm and then this morning I woke up at 3am.  Boy is jet lag fun!  Black eye  I managed to fall back to sleep from about 4 to 5 and then I got up and dressed to run.  Today was 11 miles.  Sunday is my last race pre-Boston.  It is a 30K on a pancake flat course.  All the other races in the series are seemingly set to maximize how many hills you climb up and down. I have no idea why this one is such an exception but it is.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

an amazing likeness

We're working on modifying the course for our fall half marathon because a bridge on the course will be closed for replacement for this year and next - there are, of course, no easy alternatives.

Whoa....whoa...hold on one darn minute, Jay. What's this? The course is Seacoast's special sauce. Which bridge?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mrrun

Which bridge?

Henry and I were having the same conversation.

also, we want to plan a spring 2014 RA race on the west coast.  has to have a 10K, half-marathon & marathon  any thoughts?????

marj

TammyinGP

marj, first thought that comes to mind is Avenue of the Giants because that's exactly what they offer - a 10K, HM and Full.

Tammy

mrrun

marj, first thought that comes to mind is Avenue of the Giants because that's exactly what they offer - a 10K, HM and Full.

Tammy, that has been on Henry's bucket list for years.  Sign us up for 2014!!!!!!

TammyinGP

and just think Marj - I'm only a couple hrs away, in fact, you sort of have to go right by my house to get there if you are driving from the Oregon direction. I'll be running it this year but if you both come out, I'll run at least the half again next for sure!

eta: I take that back. You don't have to drive right by my house. You actually have to STOP at my house, relax, have a meal, visit, etc.... Wink

Tammy