Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 12.17.17 (Read 41 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

And according to the map I walked on water on a lake that isn't frozen - pretty cool, huh?

I knew you were special...

Falconfixer - congrats to your DD and Happy Anniversary!

Starr - that sounds like a fun time, and I love the relive!

Dave - great racing!

Carolyn - beautiful!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am pretty sure nobody in the US, not living through smoke filled air from a forest fire, sees as extreme an air pollution change as I did when going from Beijing to CT. Those little icons at the bottom say avoid all outdoor activities other than perhaps sitting. The guy with the cane indicates the elderly and young should not go outside at all.

As I type this NYC has an AQI less than half (lower is better) than what you see in the picture above. Assuming RA is letting you see it.  The Chinese officials are taking some actions to remediate the problem. But, they have a long way to go. A friend of mine who lives mostly in Beijing but also part time in Singapore, told me about a recent visit he had to the doctor. After an exam the doctor said my friend had to stop smoking. My friend replied that he did not smoke. The doctor asked where you lived. My friend said Beijing. The replied well that explains it. I think my friend is in his late 30s or perhaps early 40s and only moved to Beijing a couple of years ago (although he did grow up in the area).

Mike E you are really dedicated to your church. I am always impressed with the amount of time you put into it.

Surly Bill good luck with your Christmas shopping! Express shipping is going to get pricey! 

wildchild and fatizzig my life would be easier if my DW's family took your familys' view. My DW will not tell anyone what she wants. Says she has too much stuff. But, that means everyone has to play guess your best instead.

deez4boyz great news about Justin.

coastwalker more entrants would solve both of their problems. More money to support the race and make it easier to get sponsors. If they are not willing to work on the first part of that equation, I am not sure I would offer to beg for money to help with the second. I hope you finished the rest of your Christmas shopping today.

RunnerKSA following Rule #1, smart!

mrrun and Henrun was the Brooklyn bridge thing an organized run of some sort?

Quickadder sounds like a pretty muddy run too! I am not sure there is anything as milking the participants. There is a ton or competition among races. From what I have seen the pricey ones just cater to those that want more doodads with the race. They also seem to be the most popular, so it looks like that is what most of the public wants.

Holly S.C-R and coastwalker I must admit that I cannot recall starting cold, getting hot and then finishing cold.

evanflein I am amazed you can ever get warm let alone hot in the kind of temperatures you run in.

metalmancpa hmm, I have not walked on water or through homes since I replaced my very first Garmin sometime during the last decade I think.

StarrRuns glad you had a great early Christmas celebration. Hmm, M&M cookies . . . can you send some addressed to Twocat . . .  You did take a LOT of pictures on that run. Very pretty frost covered trees and bushes.

Tramps no Garmin? Sure you were out?

Dave59 how does your winter race series work? We have one that starts at 10K and goes up by 5K every couple of weeks until it ends at 30K. Sort of the 30K is not officially part of the series. If you want a series award based on points the last official one is 25K. Just a very strange system. No matter to me, I am nowhere close to winning anything given the competition that shows up every year.

wildchild I have to get some more overpass pictures to compete with the vistas you post.  The trail looks like a stunning place to run.

I got out for a 20 mile run today. I wimped out and did zero miles at MP. I probably should not have, but I just could not wrap my mind around doing it. Like StarrRuns I took a few pictures during the run. A LOT fewer than StarrRuns though. The first one shows a flock of turkey vultures.

The next one is of a house with some pretty funny blow up decorations on it. Again you will need to blow up the picture to see that below Santa is a blow up saying Toy Shop.

You can see the above two pictures and a few others on my relive video at https://www.relive.cc/view/g16290864421.

Post run, I went grocery shopping with my DW. Then made dinner and put lights up on the Christmas tree. That, fortunately, ends my Christmas decorating chores. Next, I have to order hamburger meat from the Jackson Hole Buffalo Meat company. I already ordered her some stuff from there as a surprise Christmas present (since she will never tell my what she wants ). Then, of course, tonight she announced she wants hamburgers from there. The one thing I did not order! Naturally. More evidence a malevolent being controls the universe.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Managed to get in 6 miles between church, MORE Christmas shopping, and a granddaughter's soccer game...I'm wiped out.

Okay--gotta go.  I told you I was wiped out.

Great pictures Wildchild and TwoCat!!

KSA - not a saint here, just a mom praying hard for a son's recovery!!

Dave - great race splits!!

Starr - that sounds like a Gramma's dream night with the kids!!

Bill Rodgers/Marathon Sports Somerville Jingle Bell run 5k -- 26:35 21/219 age group 50-59

I was running to burn off stress and see what I could do after these injuries and no speed work. I was very happy with my splits of 8:51, 8:34 and 8:16.

Best part -- random meetup with Robin and her family walking to the start!! I just love her smile and love seeing her!!

Saw Justin this afternoon, brought him some clothes and a couple pics of his girls. He definitely sounds better and is way more clear than the beginning of the week, but still not at baseline. His thinking is still a little off and his lack of concern over what he's taking for meds worries me. Either that or he knows perfectly well what they are giving him and just doesn't want to share with me. Either way, he is looking better and I think I will finally sleep a little better tonight. I know he is in a safe place, but it helps to see him doing a little better!!

Thank you all so much for your support!! There is no way I would make it thru all this without my faith, family and FRIENDS!!

ETA - he just called and now sounds anxious and frustrated again ..... oh well, I'll be thankful for the good moments however fleeting!!

denise

Henrun

Great recap and pix Twocat.

The Bridge run was not organized. We always try to get it in when we visit my BIL in Brooklyn who lives close to the bridge. There’s always a lot of running and cycling on the bridge.

evanflein

Carolyn does have some stunning places to run, for sure. And the runs are even more impressive considering there's hardly any oxygen up there!

Starr, that's a really nice lake run you have. Love the frosty trees!

Twocat, the air pollution is incredible in Beijing, as is a lot of other pollution in China. I understand current leadership wants to address this now, and they really need to or their people will really suffer (more than they already are). Welcome home. Great pics of the turkey vultures.

Nice racing, Dave! Was that supposed to be a 5k? Or just a 3 mile run?

Deeze, you may not be a saint but you are a very dedicated mom who has a very lucky son. I hope this is just a "one step back" kind of thing, and glad he's still in treatment.

Well, I got out for my run today and all I can say is what a struggle! I swear running in these conditions should qualify for at least a 30% "credit" for effort. Made it to about 1.5 miles and stopped to wipe my eyes, and oops, touched the "save" section on the Garmin. Rats. So, from that point on I had to "do math" to figure out how far I'd run. Hate that about this watch. Anyway, I did a lot of out and backs, back and forths, etc to get the miles in, with a ton of stops to wipe my eyes (they water so much!), adjust the stoopid spike things and blow snot rockets. Yes, it was a glamorous run (NOT) today. The new snow we got last night over the icy and hardpack snow just made things difficult. Stuck to the neighborhood roads behind and west of DH's office to run in the roads, which had some packed down surfaces from cars but not too much traffic. Bleh. A little over 11 miles today, bringing my week to 42.8, and if I'd known that I would've gone another .2 to make it 43!!

Meh. I didn't get a run in today.

Worked too long.

Race costs: I think it costs a lot more to put ON a big race these days, with insurance and road closures and permits and staff and advertising  all that. I'm actually surprised they can do it for less than $100 per entrant. I've had to jump through hoops before getting a Forest Service "event" permit, and it's not an easy thing. I can imagine doing something on city streets is mind numbingly bureaucratic. Little local firecracker runs and turkey trots are a different matter. There's a 5k run on Independence Day in my little home town that is a fundraiser for the high school XC team. I don't think they get ANY permits or insurance, and no one really cares. However, the most people I've ever seen running it is about 45-50, so it's not a very big impact.

Currently, I'm not interested in races. I've only run 2 since the 90's (not counting the fundraiser above). If I do enter some road races, it would only be 1-2 a year just to get "official" times or bragging rights (ultras). I can do a time trial on my own, and would probably run faster than in a race. I do not find races pleasant; getting up too early and stressing about finding parking and being there on time, long lines at the too few porta-potties, annoying socialites who are there mainly to "meet new friends" rather than run, people getting in the way because they went out too fast or felt that they should be in front at the start even though they are a 12:00 pace runner, getting back the where you parked and waiting in the post-race traffic jam to leave, etc. Ultras are another matter, TOTALLY worth it because of the race support/aid stations. Running a self-supported 50-100 mile trail run is problematic.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

Went out for 12.5 miles this morning with a couple trail running friends and one dog (not mine - my friend Teresa's yellow lab - which she recently adopted from the shelter). 
                  had some nice views on this run.

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor and nature

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

great pics and relive.

two-cat: could China be Japan wrt clean air in 20 years?
                    Mt. Fuji was visible from Tokyo less than 50 days a year in student days in the mid-sixties when Japan was doing the same kind of industrialization everywhere, even in smelting in residential neighborhoods, and wood stoves, open burning in the fields, garbage, etc. was rampant.

In fact, my home stay had a Goemon-iron pot bath
                    heated from outside by a bonfire under it.
                    Now, majestic Mt. Fuji is visible more than 150 days a year

and, when it isn’t, it’s usually because of the summer

rainy season, not air pollution in the winter.

Nice sub-25 Dave.
                    Enjoy ‘em while they last.
                    Nothing better, though, than deezie’s
                    fast 26 that’s more than mere running.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawa_Goemon

a goemon-buro (bath)

Execution of Goemon Ishikawa by boiling

• He was executed on October 8 along with his whole family by being boiled alive.[9]
                    • Goemon at first tried to save his son from the heat by holding him high above, but then suddenly plunged him deep into the bottom of the cauldron to kill him as quickly as possible.
                    • Goemon eventually succumbed to pain and injuries and sank in the pot.[10

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...this is why you don't come to tet's house when he's serving soup.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....