Masters Running

Terrific Tuesday 9/24/13 (Read 46 times)

Good morning good people! Jay must be out working on his wood shed so I'll help him out today.

Gorgeous running weather here in this neck of the woods. 4 miles with no trips, skids or falls and a 9:56 pace.

Sorry about your race Twocat. You're in great shape. I don't think you really wanted to do this one and it ended up affecting your run. You'll do better with the marathon.

(((Holly))) I hope your world is going better these days. Take care, friend.

Hey Marj and Henry - if you need a travel valet, I'm your girl Big grin

It's an absolutely beautiful day here and I don't have to work. I'm planning on spending it doing yard work and maybe a bike ride later.

Have a great day everyone.

Slo

Hey Jlynne !

Hey all !

Another beautiful day.

It's homecoming season. As evidence of my front yard and my large oak tree displayed. Let the T. P.-ing begin! I should have snapped a picture. The kids did a pretty good job...and quiet too. They pulled it off with my DW sitting on the couch and before the 10 o'clock news. I opened up the front door to let the dog out and saw kids scatter.

10 cool miles today.

...jlynne//.............just don't fall off and  hit your ResetButton.........

=============

30mprnb

double weight sessions with 15min xbike alt standing and sitting

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Hi all!

glorious weather on the east coast also.  a wonderful 7 mile run - much slower than jlynne's

probably bike ride also this afternoon,

happy runs, walks, bikes, etc everyone,

marj

Good morning,

Beautiful day for a bike ride here in Eastern Ohio also, will be 67 & sunny Smile Off on a 40 miler...

Ribs nice race & blog article. Your race sounds just like my 10 miler 2 weeks ago felt good but when it came time to pick up the pace a little the last 2 miles it just wasn't thereConfused even though I thought the training was spot on.

I spent 22 years in charge of special events for my PD and I always made sure someone rode along who was responsible for telling the officer the course (if there was a error it wasn't going to be on me). Now that I'm a race director I make sure it's still done!

Enjoy!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Tramps

Holly—glad to hear the service and reception went so well.

2cat—sorry about the race.  If it’s endurance you’re lacking, maybe some medium LR’s during the week?  If it’s speed, then I think tempo runs for stamina are more important at long distances than intervals.

Slo—they TP’d your tree?  I didn’t know anyone still did that sort of thing.

Glad everyone’s enjoying this weather.  Gorgeous here, too.  I had to switch up my schedule and got my tempo run done today.  Just under 13 miles with 7 @ about a 7:13 tempo pace.  I did them at a nearby park with a one mile long dirt track to get some mostly flat terrain.  Demanding, but I felt pretty good throughout.  I had good incentive in a young guy from the college running the opposite direction.  We kept meeting at almost the exact same spots so I knew we were going the same pace.  He finished ahead of me and on his last pass said with a grin, “Hey, that was a great run!”  I think he was a little surprised that the old guy was keeping up with him.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Hi everyone!

Sounds like you have a great day planned, Jlynn!

Haven't seen a TP'd tree in quite a while, Slo. Seems you had some real stealthy kids working on yours.

Like Sarge, we always have someone ride in the lead vehicle at our half to ensure that vehicle stays on course. We want to control all the things we can.

So glad so many are enjoying good weather today!

No shed work this morning, Jlynn. I had to get out of the house early for a meeting about our upcoming half marathon. We've had to modify the first 2 miles of the course for this year and next year because of a bridge closure, and it continues to give us headaches. We'll get it done, and the race will be good, but we are already looking forward to going back to the original course!

5.9 miles a 4:05 this morning. A little more than half a moon was siting high in the sky (again) to light my way. It was 42 and breezy but it felt a lot colder than that. Even with a l/s shirt and gloves, I never got warmed up, and my hands were cold the whole time. It wasn't till after I stretched and got into a hot shower that my hands finally warmed up. The upside is that I worked hard to get warm, and so had a pretty good tempo workout!

Enjoy what's left of Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

T.P.-ing and Window soaping is still very much a tradtion around here. Classmates, teachers and coaches are the usual targets.

Thursday is the Homecoming parade. Friday morning is usually pretty interesting.

Haven't seen a TP'd tree in quite a while, Slo. Seems you had some real stealthy kids working on yours.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon, all.

4 miles around the lake, enjoying the nice fall IRC.  Still have a few degrees to go before the long pants come out.  Actually, I try to make it through the end of October before I switch.

Glad you're remaining upright, Jlynne.  I know the hole in my nice UA tights pi$$ed me off more than the sore knee the time I wiped out.

Nice tempo Tramps.  you weren't tempted to meet just a LITTLE sooner each time?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo - did your yard get "forked and spooned" as well?

Back to work today.  As to be expected, I am buried.  I can't imagine how I would make it if I took an entire week off.

4.2 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Not sure what you mean by "forked and spooned" Holly but I do know spooning can lead to forking. Blush

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

“Hey, that was a great run!”  I think he was a little surprised that the old guy was keeping up with him.

That's one to relish for a long time, if not forever.

See twocat, if you'd waited until a rainy day, you could've blamed it on the weather.

ps - check with divechief for his modifited Pfitz-plan. It even worked for me in 2006

when I was willing to train for a 4:30 mary.   Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jlynne no trips and falls is always better than the alternative. Black eye

Slo_Hand you sure took the TP attack in much better humor than I would have!

tomwhite where is that bloody tw translator that I seem to have misplaced . . .

mrrun and stumpy77 harumph!  Where is my summer weather!  Cry

Sarge good for you making sure your races go smoothly for the runners.  Too many people volunteer to do a bad job.  It is always good to see people who volunteer to do a good one.

Tramps some medium long runs are in my future.  Probably this Saturday.  I wish I could do tempo runs absent a race like you.  Somehow without the race stimulus I just peter out.

coastwalker sorry to see your internet must have gone down for a few hours.  I know how tough not starting the daily must be. Wink

tetsujin209 I am not all that good at blaming poor races on things other than me.  Sad but true.  One thing I have to be careful of is to not put in more than 3 or 4 days a week of running.  Whatever else I do not want my hamstrings to go again.  About that 30k distance:  There are two races in the local area each year at that distance.  Both are advertised as marathon tuneups.  The one in the spring is semi part of a series called the Boston Buildup (semi because there is a separate fee for the 30k).

TammyinGP any more pets and you will have to rival Dean Karnazes' daily mileage!

My plan this morning was that if I could get out the door by 6am I would run 6x600m at the high school track and if not 8 miles with zombies chasing me around.  The zombies won in that they got to chase me.  I won in that they never caught me!  One other minor achievement is that in one chase the penultimate announcement was "zombies 19 meters away."  That has always spelled doom but I did not give up and instead ramped up my pace.  I got away!  Hopefully that is a good omen for the day.  My avatar certainly thinks so!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Not sure what you mean by "forked and spooned" Holly but I do know spooning can lead to forking. Blush

nyuk nyuk nyuk Big grin

Just a quick pop in to say hi. Best to keep my tapering self out of here these days, because the less I run, the more introspective I get (as if that was possible, right?). Though I did discover my favorite new taper activity: signing up for more marathons. Sent in the form for Shamrock yesterday, for March of 2014. So that's currently FIVE marathons I'm registered for at the moment. GAH!!

nyuk nyuk nyuk Big grin

.....quick, hit the ResetButton....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....