Masters Running

8.4.16 (Read 35 times)

evanflein

Aaaacckk! Starr said the "S" word! We don't speak of that in August, you know. It's just not done.

I saw that article about the meniscus surgery and have to say, I'm sure all the orthopods who have been making a good living off that procedure ("scoping the knee") hate to see that come out, but really. It's one of the most money wasting things out there. That, and most back surgeries. Most people do better at the 5 year mark with PT and exercise.

Jay, the shoes I used (today) aren't new at all. They're my old Nike Pegasus from 2007 that I still have. They've got an added cushioned insole with some arch support and they just seem to be what my feet need every now and then. Wore them at the Gold Discovery Run and credit them with getting me through it. I wore them today and they were ok, but they sure feel heavy compared to what I'm used to these days.

Happy birthday, Mike!

Today was pretty nice earlier with temps in the high 60's and some sunshine and most importantly NO rain! I got in 6.3 miles that felt a lot harder than they should have. Feet felt heavy, shins felt "splinty" (?) and just generally low sproink. It feels like my cardio conditioning is just at a real low point. Bleh. Not where you want to be in the summer racing season! Saturday's half marathon will be a struggle. I'm not even going to venture a guess or prediction on my time. Goal will be to finish unhurt. Anything else will be icing.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Thanks for all the nice birthday wishes, here and on Facebook.  It's hard to feel sorry for yourself when so many people seem to care about you.

I was told to take a few more days and try 2 miles on Friday...take off Saturday...and try 2 more on Sunday...it looks like Holly and I will be walking the Portland Marathon together.

Oh, tomwhite...thanks for the special birthday message, but you really shouldn't have...no, really...you shouldn't have...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

it looks like Holly and I will be walking the Portland Marathon together. 

hmmm, maybe I'll have to start up training again after all to keep up.

I may need some help though.

After taking 7-yo GS's hand and helping him get up-and-over parts of some of the boulder fields down by the glacier today, he held his hand out to me on one of the bigger boulders I'd just gotten him over and said, "here papo, take my hand."   I'm glad grown men don't cry, . . . at least in front of their grandsons, . . . barely

ps starr - no streaking up here in GS-Iand

too tired sitting down doing nothing but watching his boundless energy. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

What????

MikeE has a birthday and no birthday cake for him for our group???

Enjoy your birthday, bro

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

That is a beautiful cake, Nancy, and Mike - I hope you had a lovely birthday.  Add to that that I would be honored to walk the Portland Marathon with you and Tet!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."