Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 10.5.17 (Read 36 times)

...the graph was Cool.........but the ''Surplus'' Areas gave me a bit of the ''Soylent Green'' Feeling........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.  

We are not old...we are just well seasoned.

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened.  

Howdy folks!

Tomorrow morning I will be heading out for the 8.5-9 hour drive to Scranton to meet with Erika for the Steamtown Marathon on Sunday.  This time I am bringing my DH along, as he got grumpy after the Phoenix Marathon in February, saying that I keep going out of town and having all this fun at races. Unfortunately, due to the long drive, he is having me drive, which I don't mind at all (I like driving) except that he is a controlling a$$ who is already lecturing me about speeding and my driving, etc. and we have not even gotten on the road yet.  I suspect this drive may test our marriage.  (There is a reason I usually leave him at home when I go to races.) 

I managed to work 41 hours in 4 days so I could sort of (try to) keep up at work.  At least I won't have to use PTO.

7.4 miles for me today in 65 degrees and very light rain.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly-  I won't be terribly far from you.  I'll be in the Hazleton area in the Poconos.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Anzlo

Coastwalker - That's nice of you to post summary workout information for everybody at the beginning of the next day.  It also seems that more than just running miles are posted so I will post my workouts similarly in as brief a fashion as I can.  In regards to a competition between me and Quickadder, not to my knowledge.  We run similar times but I suspect that he is likely to better my times at some point.

Today's workout: (8 miles: 3 walk w/u, 4 run/walk @ 10:40, 1 walk c/d)

A lot to read the last two days.  At some point I'll find some written thoughts that I will jump into but to be honest I am a little less chatty than most posters.

So, here's my first share which will probably make you think I am nuts.  I only had 38 run and/or run/walk miles for all of September, however I did walk another 69 miles (walking was permitted with the issue I was having) ... so 107 miles (just a long really really easy taper ) ... certainly enough to complete a marathon, right ?   Yeah, I know it isn't under normal circumstances but my wife is attempting a PR this Sunday at Portland, OR and I promised a year ago I would run with her for support, help with fuel/water, and such.  I ran with her when she PR'd at 10K two years ago and then in a HM this summer.  This is something we share as a couple and I had a good base going into mid August.  Her pace is such that I only need to run/walk at a 1-2 ratio to keep up with her (30 sec run - 60 sec walk).  There is nothing life threatening if I do it, just some minor injury risk.  So, I just give it a go.  Ah, what one does for the one you love .

I will let you know how this goes down, if I did, and whether or not she got her PR.

You seem like a great group of guys/gals, nice to be here.  Have a great workout tomorrow !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, another RW Master's Forum refugee here.  Good to see Opus and Quickadder.  Quick intro, I'm in my early 50s have run off and on since HS, spent 9 years active duty in the Air Force and am currently a "full time" reservist working in the same town as Opus.  I also bike, teach spin and (as I put it) dabble in triathlons.

Today I managed to get up before the sun and as Opus said, great temps this morning.  Did 7 miles at an 8:30 pace then ran another 5 miles at lunch (8:40 pace).

Have a great night everyone!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Sorry--no time to chat.  I just wanted to say that I am so sorry to hear of your brother, Paul.  That has to be tough.  You are in my prayers.

7.2 miles...3.6 was spent barking at the xc kids doing a speed workout.  I love barking at those kids.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 run at lunch

16 on the bike after work

<-- Not surplus yet!

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Holly - good luck on your marathon drive - hope you and your dh are still speaking by the end of it!!

Paul - so sorry for your loss

6.2 morning miles with my Thursday crew. Church, brief time at prayer group, then spent the rest of the day with my delicious granddaughters!! Maria - 4 1/2 - has developed quite an imagination and is so much fun to play with!! Her baby sister cooperated by taking a 2 1/2 hour nap so we had some quality Maria and Nonna time today!! They really are the loves of my life!!

Tomorrow morning have an 8am appt with the chiro then heading up to Maine until work Tues morning. Next weekend is the official closing so trying to squeeze in as much time as I can up there!! #Mainethewaylifeshouldbe

Happy Trails my friends!!

denise

pfriese my condolences.

Tramps as an older guy in the now section where there are a "surplus" of women that graph does not make me happy! I suspect aliens did not beam down a number of 50+ year old women. So that surplus of females only comes from one source, a dropping like flies of the guys! 

Opus77 sounds painful. Hopefully, it got rid of all the potential problems.

Quickadder remarkable that someone could do even a tenth of that run at 93!

Holly S. err . . . ahm . . . good luck with the drive . . . oh yes, and that race thing too.

Anzlo it is nice of coastwalker to do the daily summary. But really annoying at how he can get up and out the door at the hour he does! Really, he makes everyone else look like a bunch of slackers. Not a good guy if you ask me.  Well, not unless he rejoins my relay team next year. Then he is a really terrific guy.

RunnerKSA they are adidas Boston 6. I got them because one of the two bloggers I trust to correctly parse results reported in scientific journals said they found that this sneaker actually helped with runner fatigue. First time any sneaker has ever been shown to make any difference. I am not sure if there have been any followup studies, so the whole thing may just be a one off statistical fluke and the sneakers do not do anything special. But, I did like my prior pair and so far this pair too.

Falconfixer welcome.

deez4boyz happy playing with the grand kids. But eating them to find out how they taste is really not a good idea. How many do you have left?

No run for me today. Just an hour on the elliptical. Even that was close to not happening. I had an awful night's sleep. I got up in the middle of the night and started thinking about a programming problem I am working on. I just could not stop myself and then spent a few hours trying to stop thinking and get back to sleep. At least I came up with a solution that I got most of the to implementing today.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

deez4boyz happy playing with the grand kids. But eating them to find out how they taste is really not a good idea. How many do you have left?

well I just take little nibbles ..... too many sweets just aren't good for the waistline!! 

denise

pfriese

Opus, I didn't recognize Anzlo either, until he posted in the 60+ section that on RW he was Elizor.

There's a 60+ section here in RA! Who knew? Maybe I should join it & lurk there a bit since I'm over 60. Smile

PaulI

Marathon Maniac #957

Paul - So sorry to hear of the loss of your brother.

Anzio - good luck at Portland!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Paul- no one posts in the over 60 forum, sadly!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth