Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 07/03 (Read 612 times)

flatland mountaineer

I did the second set of Running Times race week speed work this morning. It called for 3 sets of 2x 200 meters with 400 m jog recoveries in between. The 1st set at 5 k goal pace then you were supposed to increase the pace on each set by 1-2 seconds. Heck I couldn't hit it within 5 sec regardless even using my Garmin and a stopwatch. I emailed Jonathan if he thought I should attempt it, he emailed back a somewhat scaled down version but I already had it done. Now just some easy runs, w/ some strides etc. left and try and rest up. Sleeping all night is a start, and 3 days with no topsy turvy markets will help with that. Looks like cooling weather and rain chances race day. Both are welcome as we have been low to mid 90's and 30 mph winds last couple days.

The local gal that puts on the race does a super job and we always try and help in some way. We have done so many bad races we wanted to get some goodies for the prize table that we would like. We got a cornacopia of stuff from tech shirts, body glide, sports wash for smelly tech clothes, etc......to put on the table. Whatever doesn't get picked by the winners gets raffled off.

Cindy lots going on at your house as usual. Glad you and the 'Raid are getting some runs in. Ya we got the full meal deal with epi pen and Benadryl. Thiniking it was stocking Dad's pill box, he is on a sulfa antibiotic. Lynda is running, Lulu has to stay home. Dad is still talking about doing the mile with the gal that cleans his house. 

Arla read the report: airfare to Hawaii x $

Snorkle trip y$

disparaging looks from Frank Shorter .........priceless

Joe hope the commute won't add to many hrs to your schedule.

Leslie enjoyed the pics. Hope you can still get together with the old "boss" at times.

Guessing Carol and Ev doing battle with this heat Also, least we are drier than Jewel's version of heat.

Keeping busy spraying, hauling fertilizer, irrigating, keeping a place for my driver to load corn. About a week or less until wheat harvest. Sent my combine thru the winter maintenance program, hope it's ready to go. My irrigated wheat got a fusarium head blight during all that wet weather 2 wks ago, I think it got hurt pretty bad, not something we usually have to worry about. Dryland wheat looks outstanding. Once the rain quit 2 wks ago we turned hot and dry very fast to the point of needing rain again soon on the dryland corn. Sure looking forward to the race and seeing some of my running peeps.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Happy Friday!! 

Jim, between your posts and Cindy's, you two are exhausting me.   Good job with the speed work.  And it sounds like you got some great stuff for the race!

Joe - Yep, I'll be able to see my soon-to-be old boss.  I already told him we needed to make sure we got together for lunch once in awhile.  But it's so easy to let time slip by and before you know it, it's been months since you've seen someone.

Slept in again this a.m.  Gotta love tapering!  I should get out of here early today, so I'll get some core work in later this afternoon.

Couldn't get Mr. Mr. to come in last night, and I think he got beat up.  He's refusing to raise his tail and doesn't anyone or anything (especially another cat) near him.  *sigh* Technically, he's not ours, but I'll be calling the vet today for some antibiotics.  We have a standing order without having to bring a cat in.  Not sure if that's good or bad.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey there!

Wow, awesome races for Arla and Stumpy.  Both encountered difficult situations, and both persevered!  Betting the after race time was pretty sweet in Hawaii! 

Jim, you're up next!  How you train with the ups and downs of your work is a victory in itself.  Go get em!

Cindy....I just don't know what to say girl...you're amazing.

Joe, hope the new work schedule goes well for you.  Will you be able to ride a train in to Manhattan? 

Leslie, glad you have a good vet relationship.  Those little furballs can break the bank in a hurry.  Took one of mine in for annual checkup/shots was gasping for air at the checkout counter!

Hey Jewels!  Are you looking at any races for the fall, or will you be occupied with school?

Been following my 10K training schedule + swimming and lifting a couple times a week.  Got a new swim suit, and swam a mile on Wednesday.  The heat isn't quite as bad (only hitting the 90's), but the humidity is really high....spinoff from Hurricaine Alex.  Had an awesome run in the rain on Tuesday.  Best run I"ve had all week Smile.

About to log off for the long weekend, and hope you guys are doing same!

Progress Trumps Pefection

Hi Ya, Carol!  Glad to see you've been sticking with your 10k training schedule - despite the humidity.  We've missed your sunny disposition around here.

Got in 40 min of core and some upper body this p.m.  Just don't tell coach.  I'm suppose to be tapering.  I will not, however, allow all the work I've done over the past few weeks fade away in the taper zone.

Had an interesting email talk with my coach, and then asked for some input from my buddy, Russ.  He agreed with what Bill wants me to do, which is:

About the rest of 2010. SOB = Yes, McKenzie River = Yes, High Desert = Maybe (I know you like this event so see below).

Definitely do SOB, and McKenzie River.

High Desert a maybe (if you do High Desert - no Hagg Lake or if you want to do Hagg Lake too, your next race is not until the July - PCTUltra 50 miler).

I believe it would be best to take some time off from racing ultras and focus on hill climbing - getting better/stronger climbing hills. When we race all the time (all year long) we do not have the time to really improve in specific areas. We are either increasing mileage getting ready for the next event, tapering or recovering - our strengths stay strengths and our weaknesses stay weaknesses. Professional athletes have an off season for a reason, it is not a do nothing season but an lets scale it back some and work on improving aspects of our performance.

Winter time is a good time take a break from racing and work on improving weak areas because of the weather, the holidays, ....... That is one reason why there are less events out there during the winter.

This does not mean we cannot do a shorter distance race or do an event of our own (time trial HSU to the top of Trail 12 or....).

As tough as it's going to be to sort of slow down, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I come out of this a stronger runner.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Not sure which day it's on ,but wanted to wish Jim + Lynda if the Mrs is racing too.

Good Luck !!!

Top 'O the World!

Hoping everyone is having an awesome weekend!!  HAPPY 4TH!!

GOOD LUCK!  & HAVE FUN  Jim & Lynda - & anyone else who decides to do a Firecracker 5k this wknd....

Wrapping up a few loose ends before heading to a wedding later this afternoon...not sure how late we'll party, so have no immediate plans to run the 5k in the am...did do the course backwards this morning + a little - it's my normal loop that they do this on!  I've done no extra training/planning nor did I skip today & rest up for it so...if I run it, it'll be just for fun & to contribute to the fundraiser.

See ya on the flip side.....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Good luck 4th of July Racers!  Have Fun!

9.5 beach miles today.  We were suppose to run out at Headwaters, but the trail was closed for work.  I don't like running on the beach.  It's fairly boring, except for the the fact that we kept stopping to collect shells.  Found 4 completely intact sand dollars!

The Hub and his buds are getting ribs and tri-tips ready for smoking tomorrow.  I'm just staying out of the way.  I'll show up long enough to eat then get the heck outta dodge again and home before the drunken masses leave Old Town after the fireworks.

After I got home from our run today, I basically passed out on the couch for about 2 hrs.  I couldn't believe it.  Guess last weekend finally caught up with me.  It the kind of sleep where you're half awake at times, but it just impossible to open your eyes, so you may as well go back to sleep.  I've been up for about 4 hrs and I'm still feeling groggy.

Have a fun, safe 4th -

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy 4th of July, Friends!

Participated in a local race for the first time since the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.  Coach, Karen, and I did a 1.25 mile warm up before the race.  Coach and I finished the 3.16 miles in 27:04.  Not a PR (we finished the Turkey Trot faster, surprisingly), but a good pace anyway.  He ran with me the whole way, even though he's much faster, and for the last mile, he kept getting out in front of me and running just a little bit faster to egg me along.  Our splits were:

Mile - Average/Best:

1 - 8:53/7:19

2 - 8:52/8:05

3 - 8:13/6:46

.16 - 8:55/6:53

I forgot to turn off my Garmin when we crossed the finish line, so the extra 20 seconds during which it was running and we weren't moving brought our average down.  It was a hoot!

At the end, they had a raffle of a whole bunch of stuff, including watermelons.  Karen, her roommate (who had to leave), and I all won watermelons.  Coach had left by that point (having won a watermelon, also), so Karen and I had to carry 3 watermelons a little over 1/2 a mile back to our cars.  We kept switching off with one carrying two for awhile, then the other would, etc.  I need to remember this when my arms are sore tomorrow!

SOB is next weekend.  Volunteers have been working clearing the trail :

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Quicky post, we had a really good day yesterday. Small race 300ish but I did win my AG in 24:20. Passed lots of younger folk in last mile. All out dead sprint last .1. Dad was finishing the 1 mile just as I was coming into the chute and got to watch me finish. They named Dad and another 93 yr old lady that also did the mile as king and queen of the race. We made Lauren(local gal that does the race also the gal that did 302 boston) cry when we donated our prizes and they went to the right peeps. Got to see some big smiles, very satisfing.

I wore my flats, I am incredibly sore but it was worth it. I wasn't half this sore after my half.  More rain last nite so get to shut off some irrig  and take the rest of the day off.

Have a great rest of the holiday.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III